The Wedding Shirt

The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL

Because there may be no tomorrow
This will be our wedding night
And you will wear a wedding shirt
We have had no time for marriage
As the world around has betrayed us

Standing before me in a haze of light
You look perfect in a veil of cotton
It's as if I have been given an angel
So come to our bed of love
Before the war starts again tomorrow

© 2022 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Get love while you can; eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we all may perish...that sort of thing, eh? I'd advise my daughter to hold out and if he returns from battle he'll have won her hand and heart by valor. If not, she can die with her virtue in tact and won't be stuck raising a child on her own. My oldest waited until she was thirty to get married. By that time she had traveled half the globe and enjoyed her youth. But she eventually married a good man and gave me three beautiful grandchildren. He actually called me and asked for her hand which I thought most honorable.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very honest. Images are pure and you avoid embellishment to keep it that way. The strength of romance and love is in simplicity.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Very interesting poem. I enjoyed it. I guess it's better to rush things when things are going down c:

Posted 5 Years Ago


Could have been written by many a soldier going off to war and the uncertainty of returning - great write - I really liked the read ... :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


A beautiful piece of art! Love how the poem melts into the reader's emotions.

Posted 6 Years Ago


i liked what you had written. this poem is almost A.I. it fits so different metaphors in life! I need more!
thank you!!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


BL

6 Years Ago

Thanks, that’s great to hear
love and fear sadness and the joy of your union
great piece of work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like free verse as well as all writings. This tells a story that is happening in to many parts of the world, Be happy today for tomorrow we may die. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


BL

6 Years Ago

Thank you...
Your poem could refer to a traditional war or it could be the on-going war of a couple who fight every day but have sweet make-up sex at night. Or it could also be the unpredictable war in the streets which takes innocent lives constantly. I like it being vague to fit any scenario in the reader's mind. You've included many interesting & well-described details: "haze of light" . . . "veil of cotton" . . . good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Quite a clear-cut and concise poem. You have expressed your ill-feeling towards war and towards the betrayal that the world has done to you and your lover. In the second stanza, you have described the lover in a lovely manner- as one who looks impeccable in a veil of cotton. And your comparison of your lover to an angel is good. Well-written. Keep writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
I love this so much. It is very relatable, I mean YOU are the writer here and only YOU know the true meaning behind your words; as to what you were feeling when you wrote it. But here I am relating to your word's and I kinda feel like I have a pretty good idea of what you must have been feeling at the time.
In a way, it's very simple but still manages to capture a very complex situation and the emotions behind it. I like this one. Quite publishable if you ask me.
Also, thank you for the add B, you're my first friend here :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2203 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 2, 2022
Tags: War, tomorrow, wedding, shirt, angel, trapped, Marriage, death, uncertainty, life, respite, wedding shirt, night, world, betrayal, light, perfect, love, refugee, battle

Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


Wish I Was Wish I Was

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Desired Elms Desired Elms

A Poem by Robert