XNI - A Sea of Tents

XNI - A Sea of Tents

A Chapter by BL

Seeing the rise of evil power is a horrifying and fascinating sight, if only to watch the spectacular fall 


[][][][]

The fields around Lyon were a sea of tents. They stretched for what seemed like miles around the defeated city walls into the surrounding forest. They covered hills and valleys and ran along the riverbanks so that no square of ground could be seen. The canvas green six man tents were in neat rows and columns paying no regard to the natural features around them. The lines cut into hedges at oblique angles and side stepped trees that were in their way. All were in order according to rank, status and position with the lowest furthest away from the central headquarters.

Ascoli's tent was a long way from the centre and it was a tangible reminder of his lowly status in the army that he was proud to serve in. Even within his tent he was stuck in the middle with little room. He had Pico at his feet, Louie to his left and Igor to his right. The tent leader Vinci, who was a Number Seven was diagonally to his left and Toni was diagonally to his right. As he stood outside by the guy rope he looked at the sign that read: XNII/XNNI/NNI (Sixteen/Nineteen/Six). Legion Sixteen, Unit Nineteen, Tent Six and saw Ducius approaching.

'Thats so we don't get lost' Ducius dolefully said, grinning and looking at the long line of identical signs. The small wooden signs, with white lettering stretched over the brow of the hill and through where the hedge had been. 'Got a message for you lot' he said trying to catch the attention of the six men milling around the front of their tent doing campsite chores. '...message from Thamus and the Captain.' The men briefly paused from what they were doing and all looked at him.

'Why cant he tell us himself?' Toni asked challengingly, his words as sharp as the spear he was fashioning to a finer point.

'He's at a meeting'

'Is that a drinking meeting?' Toni asked with a chuckle. Some of the others laughed.

'It might be and what is it to you?' Ducius said with a tone of more authority.

'Nothing, go on with what you were going to say' Toni said defeatedly and sullenly.

Ducius paused giving a stern look to the six men, making sure they were in order and he had their attention. 'Message from Thamus is - two hours recreation and then down to the HQ for the main address. You've all got to be there by sundown - So get some rest, freshen up, get yourself something to eat from the canteen and make yourself ready. That is all and that includes you Toni' he said pointing his finger and smiling at him as he walked off.

Ascoli and Pico wandered around the camp edge to kill time. There were a small amount of troops and horses going in and out through the main gate under the watchful eyes of the sentries. The troops were securing night time defences and gathering supplies from the city. A large wagon carrying ale lumbered up the main causeway, through the gates and slowly headed for the central area. The guards cleared a way for it rather than stopping it or checking it. It made Ascoli realise there would be no early march in the morning, it looked like they would be camped out for two or more days. Around the perimeter of the camp a ditch was being dug by many men with shovels and a cordon area was being cleared, which had rush lights at regular intervals. Whoever was in charge was following military procedure to the letter and taking no chances. There were resistance fighters in Gaul, but none in any significant number and they weren't organised. Most of them were not much more than boys and were opportunistic hit and run cowards.

'We'd better make the most of our freedom before we go in' Ascoli said, looking up at the sun and judging they had just over an hour before sun down.

'There's no getting out of it now' Pico replied with a wry smile.

'No' Ascoli said, directing them closer to the city walls. Through the open city gates they could see the lights of a small tavern. It had a cobbled area to its front and comfortable looking chairs and tabled enticingly positioned to tempt customers in. The two men smiled to each other and Ascoli jangled the coins he had in his leather purse.

""""

'I have got forty legions here in Lyon and thats you, you are the best, the cream and you are my legions' the booming and authoritative voice of the emperor echoed over the crowd of listening men. 'And you forty legions will march to three separate destinations to engage in three very different tasks. He paused for a while, gathering his robe over his arm and staring out at his audience for dramatic effect. Behind him was the ale wagon, which had had its barrels neatly arranged so that the wooden taps faced outwards, a gleaming row of pewter tankards lined the wagons sides below ready to serve the many thirsty soldiers.

'By far the largest task of all is the colonisation of Briton and so the bulk of you will go there. First of all I assign legions one to five to Briton. I would have liked legions six to ten to go there too, but unfortunately the uprising in western Spania has got much worse and so you will be sent there. Legions six to ten to go to Spania. Also there are problems in the north, some people just don't get the idea of empire.' Cicero said trying to make light of the situation and his dull sounding speech, he smiled looking around for signs of laughter, but none came, only polite smiles from some of the officers.'Therefore legions eleven to fifteen are to go to the Northlands. So five legions to each of the destinations, but Briton is the biggest area of need so sixteen to thirty will also follow legions one to five to Briton.'

'Damn it I knew it,' Ducius cursed under his breath, loud enough for several around him to hear. 'Legions thirty-one to forty will remain here in reserve as reinforcements. That is all. Fight well and good luck to each and every one of you' he shouted in triumph, his eyes searching the crowds. Some returned his look, but most looked down or away, their mood distant and sombre.

'Lucky them,' Ducius grumbled as Cicero turned his back to them all and casually picked up a tankard from the wagon, filling it with ale from the wooden tap. The thousands of dry mouthed men watched thinking he was pouring a drink for himself to open the nights celebrations, but he turned back to them all again and gave the tankard to the nearest man in the front row, an ordinary legionary, placing the tankard firmly in his hands. The young shocked looking man smiled gratefully and his comrades looked on in envy. They Cheered as he took a large gulp, while Cicero turned away again and picked up three more tankards, filling them each to the brim. He gave the three tankards out to the nearest men who had crowded around him. They took the tankards eagerly and began to drink and as they did he dutifully returned to the tap and filled more. Some servants hovered around him ready to take over, but he dramatically ushered them away.

'Severus help me out will you,' Cicero called to the waiting commander. Severus laughed nervously, embarrassed at being bossed around in front of his men, he touched Portus on the shoulder as he strode forward, getting a tankard to another tap. 'And you Portus, come on.' Some of the man laughed at their commanders being bossed around. 'Eat, drink and be merry,' he shouted as servants walked forward from behind the ale wagon with large trays of meat, bread and fruit.



© 2021 BL


Author's Note

BL



My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Bl, another outstanding chapter in this wonderful historic write. It was a hard life being a soldier back in those days.Life expectancy must have been poor. I love the descriptions. I love the content. The orders have now been given, everyone knows where they are headed. A wonderful read. Have a wonderful Monday....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


BL

2 Years Ago

Happy Monday Mike
You are rampaging through the chapters like an infantryman storming forward
shadrach hah

2 Years Ago

And enjoying each one I come to, my friend. I am already looking forward to the next chapter. Have a.. read more
Ach, I sense trouble for the 14th up in those Germanic forests! Hail, Cicero! I'm marching with you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


BL

5 Years Ago

You are assigned to Unit XXN
R J Askew

5 Years Ago

Hail, Cicero!
great chapter leigh,and seems to be on point for whats going on in the world

Posted 5 Years Ago


BL

5 Years Ago

Thanks / yes, more chaos
 wordman

5 Years Ago

you`re welcome
I'm impressed with the amount of stories you have in your mind. Seems like you have a lot more for the future.

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Thank you and I am going to finish one
so far a good read introducing characters we hope to know

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

thank you yes

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 17, 2015
Last Updated on October 25, 2021
Tags: romance, kingdom, war, memory, army, fantasy, adventure, dust, spy, battle, empire, peace, luck, fear, hope, power, mystery, fiction


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..