Apple Orchard

Apple Orchard

A Story by BL
"

300 words

"
I was forever the cautious man, but when you came along I risked it all. I put all my possessions on the line on one haphazard and unlikely throw of the dice. In my haze of spellbound madness I lost everything and all I was left with was you yourself, it seemed like a fair exchange, but then you left and I had nothing at all.

I was left out in the cold with only a cardigan coat to wear and it snowed hard that winter as I slept in doorways. On the streets I dreamed of you and what I once had, I dreamed of a life that might have been. As I looked back I remember thinking it would be unimaginable to make any other decision and I would have done exactly the same thing all over again and lost it all again.

When all seemed lost, my run at everything over and the lights of heaven gently approached, at the last someone took me in. A reassuring figure was there to brush away the snow. Someone who was kind, they gave me warmth and food and set me on my way. In that house of kindness, my staging post, through dirty bath water I began to see visions of the future.

Time passed, the summer broke and I found a new place to be. Someone said they saw me in the orchard, on the rope swing without a care in the world, but I can't say it's true. Although I can't deny the taste of apples that were so sweet and pure. Someone said they saw me talking to Lily Mae, whispering in her ear, telling her a pile of lies, but I can't say I remember. I do remember her tender kiss though. I had recovered.

© 2015 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this, deceptively rich and deep for a short story, covers a range of feelings and emotions in just a couple of paragraphs.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is pretty good. Brief and to the point but powerful at that and succinctly lovely.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Liked your story, coming back from loss's and tough times,many of us can relate. From homeless in the cold winter to sunshine,sweet apples and kissing country girls almost makes the pain worth it. Richie B.

Posted 8 Years Ago


.........................................:)
in a very manner you wrote a reality and changing phases. love it :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is very good. It's a well worded, brief story. It has a dark side, but it also uplifting and relatable. Great work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your reply
A very descriptive write. Well told. Valentine

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Glad u liked it - thanks
well started off sad,but you jumped back !

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Hello Wordman, yes I twisted it around - thanks
So BEautifully descriptive and sad, yet uplifting. You've gripped me.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BL

8 Years Ago

Only had 300 words to tell my story - thank-you
SheIsMe

8 Years Ago

I loved it.
BL

8 Years Ago

Ok read the others

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1153 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2015
Last Updated on December 4, 2015

Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL


Wish I Was Wish I Was

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I do wonder I do wonder

A Poem by Franky


Sunday Sunday

A Poem by Kent Rawski


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic