Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by John

     You know how sometimes you feel as if nothing in the world made sense, that you were just living on with no reason whatsoever? That's how I used to feel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into the whole depressive and suicidal stereotype thing, I just felt...empty, but never really understood why. I had a family that loved me, real friends that supported me. I was doing well in high school, even if I spent a good deal of my time in class drawing instead of studying. This feeling didn't go away until I my senior year, when I found myself standing in front of a new shop in town. The sign in front read 'Whiplash', with the sillhouete of a girl in pink neon behind it. This is the kind of shop that parents want their kids to steer away from, but there was a somewhat alluring quality to it. Since it had opened on a street I take everyday when going to school, I saw myself tempted to enter it prety often, although I always held myself back.
     "I see your face pretty often around here, ginger." I heard one day when I was in front of the shop. I turned to the person, it was a woman, maybe in her mid 30s. She had a fading blond hair, and a pretty normal face, not too pretty, but not ugly either. The smoke coming from the cigarette in her mouth annoyed me, but I had learned to mask it.
     "You're the shop owner?" I asked, a bit reluctant.
     "That's right. Although I'm not sure it was such a good idea to open it here. The Neighbourhood is full with the goody-goodies, and business' been bad." She kept gazing at me, no emotion showing in her face. Then she opened a big smile. "Say, do you want to come in, take a look?" The question got me by surprise.
     "M-maybe another day? I have, ahm, homework to do. You know, biology and stuff." I said hurriedly. I've never been a good liar, and she saw right through me, but let it pass.
     "Ok." She was still smiling. "But you'll come some day. I know this look in your eyes, you have nothing that excites you, no...light in your life." Her choice of words interested me. As if such a dark shop could bring light to my life. "Well, I have to get back inside...Good luck in your homework,..?"
     "Oh. Lisa."
     "See you around then, Lisa." She said and went back inside.

-

     When I got home, I couldn't stop thinking about what she said. Why didn't I go in? Was I too afraid that someone would spot me? I've never been one to really care about what people thing of me. "Maybe I should just go!" I thought to myself. I put on some clothes, picked my shoes and went downstairs.
     "Where are you going this late?" My mom asked from the sofa, looking away from her magazine.
     "Ahm, Jenny's house. We have some group work to finish."
     "This late?" She raised an eyebrow, and then went back to her magazine, as if losing interest. "Well, whatever. Just be back by 10, or your father will be mad."
     "Ok, don't worry." I said and left the house.
     There's something that creeps me out about walking in my neighbourhood during the night. Most stores here just open during the day, so the streets are completely deserted and dark. I listen to my own footsteps as my tempo increases, and soon I'm running, although I have no idea why. I turn in a corner, and there it is. The 'Whiplash' sign, so ugly during the day, shining gloriously in the dark of the night. I reduce my speed until I'm just barely moving when I come to the door. I hesitate a little, biting my lip, one of the many quirks i have to work on, but decide to man up, and open the door.


© 2012 John


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on April 25, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012
Tags: lockheed, saga, chapter 2, king, fantasy, adventure


Author

John
John

Brasilia, DF, Brazil



About
Just someone who writes a lot of random stuff... more..

Writing
The Orphanage The Orphanage

A Chapter by John


One perfect day One perfect day

A Chapter by John


The Façade The Façade

A Chapter by John