Barrelling Home

Barrelling Home

A Story by BonnyRivers
"

This is a short sample from a novel I'm working on. North American setting, Top Gun meets Coyote Ugly meets Titanic! It's complicated ;)

"
The leather felt firm beneath her, it’s scent calming her nerves somewhat. Everyone was watching, everyone! Disturbed clouds of dust settled on her heaving chest. She blew it off and polished her belt buckle, her reflection was just about visible through the artificial gemstones. Her thighs gripped harder, the chink of metal announced her imminent flight. This she could do. The other, she didn’t know! She felt his eyes search her, scanning her profile for signs of weakness or acknowledgement? A quick glance sideways towards the spectator stands confirmed her suspicions. He was watching her, lion like in the wild grasses, oblivious to all other life forms, intent on persuing his prey. Those green eyes, intense and piecing, framed in black, were hunting her down. The object of her desire however was only a few hundred metres away, safe, homely, steady. She would run rings around this and disappear as quickly as she appeared. Her palms began to sweat as she bore down on her partner, he was willing as she was eager. The tension rippled through his muscles, threatening to explode “ Hold on boy, just a few seconds more”. The shot reverberatted off the very air, announcing the start of the dance. Together they flew like the wind, they were one mind, one being. Her mount’s hooves barely touched the ground. Sideways they skirted the barrel, riding shotgun, the crowd erupted. He was on his feet. She sensed his desire from yards away, her instincts were always sharply honed. The dance was just beginning and everyone knows cowgirls love to dance.

© 2018 BonnyRivers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on August 15, 2018
Last Updated on August 15, 2018
Tags: #western, romance, lovestory, jealousy, bravery, sacrifice

Author

BonnyRivers
BonnyRivers

Ireland



About
Irish, kind of moody, sort of sad, lots of mad! Secondary school teacher, theology graduate. A teacher once told me I'm a liberal. I'm still wrestling with what that means! Lover of white wine, Autumn.. more..

Writing
Soiled Soiled

A Poem by BonnyRivers