Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jessie
"

I don't own anything! The setting and characters belong to J.K Rowling :)

"

Chapter 2

 

“Yep, that was my dad.”  Trillium said.  “He’s nice, isn’t he?”

“Yeah.  Now that I think about it, you have his eyes.”

“Everyone says that,” she smiled.

“It’s a good thing.  They’re beautiful.”  Her pale skin showed a faint blush.

“Well, looks like we’re about to pull out of the station.”  Rose said, excitedly.  Just as she did, a boy with hair hanging down around his face and beautiful green eyes knocked on the compartment door.

“Hey, Rosie.”  He smiled.  She stood up and hugged him.

“Albus!  Have a seat.  You remember Trillium, don’t you?”  Rose took her seat next to me and the boy named Albus sat next to Trillium.  “This is our new friend, Sophie.”

“Hi.”  I said, shyly.  The new boy was cute.

“Good morning.” He replied.  “My name is Albus Potter.”  He extended his hand.

“Sophie Frederick.”

“Nice to meet you.  What year are you?”

“This will be my first.  I’m nervous, to be quite honest.”

“I am too.”  He said, shrugging.  “I think it’s normal.  So where are you from?”

“Down south, a good thirty minutes away from London.”  I replied, not really wanting to reveal my home town.  I was afraid it would give away my bloodline.

“I’m from right in London.  Is that an owl?”  He asked, gesturing to Barnabus.

“Yes.  His name is Barnabus, or Mr. B. for short.”

“That’s cool!  I share an owl with my brothers.”

“My mom gave me her mean old cat, Crookshanks.”  Rose pulled a face.  “He doesn’t like people, but mum says he saved her life.”

“That’s crazy.”  Trillium put in.  “That mean old cat couldn’t save anyone.”

“He might kill them, though.”  Albus said and they all laughed.  That was how the train ride went for a while.  They joked around and laughed and swapped Diagon Alley stories.  Albus showed us all his new broom, the Cirrus Rider 3.0.  He was very proud of it, and the others seemed quite impressed.  At one point, the candy trolley came around, and my ill knowledge of wizarding candies gave away my background.

“Your parents aren’t Wizarding folk, are they?”  Albus asked.

“No…” I blushed.

“Hey, that’s all right.  My grandparents are both muggles.”  Rose said.  “And my mother turned out just fine.  My dad says she’s the smartest witch who ever lived!”

Eventually the conversation turned to wands.  When I presented mine with the stats, the others looked impressed.  It was a lighter color than any of theirs, but I liked it.  Rose had painted the bottom of hers and decorated it with a string handle.  Mine was gilded with gold where I held it.  I wondered if I should decorate mine, too.  Sooner or later, Trillium had fallen asleep with her head against the window, and Rose dropped off not long after.  Then it was just Al and I, sitting up, talking.

“You’re pretty.”  He said, boldly.  I pulled my messy brown hair back behind my ear.  I had never considered myself pretty. OK, maybe pretty, but in no way beautiful.  I had light brown eyes, probably my best feature.  If you caught them in the right light, they looked almost gold.  My hair was supposedly wavy, but sometimes it didn’t act like it.  Some parts would be straight, sometimes the bangs even spiraled, but none of the waves went in the right way, and the length I kept it didn’t look good.  90% of the time it was just up, out of my face.  My nose was long and a little pointed, and my lips were just average. Not to plump, not to thin, and by no means a pretty color.  I was skinny, but I didn’t have a flat stomach, and I had what my mother called a ‘swimmer’s body’ with large thighs, and wide shoulders.  I had always hated my build.

“Thank you.”  I said, shyly.  Before she had time to say something dumb, the train stopped.  Hundreds of black-robed students were standing and leaving the train.  They were told to leave their trunks and bring nothing but themselves.

“You ready?”  Al asked me.  I smiled.

“I think so…”

“Are we here?”  Rose sat up, excitedly. “Oh yes! Oh yes, oh yes!! I’ve been waiting for this moment my whole life!” She flung her arms around Al.  “Trillium!  Trill!  Wake up we’re here!”

“We are?”

“Yes, yes!!”  They both laughed gleefully and slowly filed out of the compartment, and off the train.  I stuck close to Rose, who was spouting off odd facts about how old the castle was.  I didn’t see a castle at first, but my attention was directed to my right and I beheld a gigantic, beautiful castle with candlelit windows.  It was like something out of a fairytale.

“Firs’ years!  Firs’ years come to me!  Over here, come on now, Firs’ years!!”  I turned to see a gigantic man with gray hairs sprouting through his thick beard and wild hair.  He held a lantern, which he waved back and forth as he shouted.  Rose grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me over to him.

“Hullo, Hagrid!”  She said to the huge man.

“Hullo!  Why if it isn’t li’l Rosie!  How’s Ron and Hermionie doin?  And would you look at that!  Li’l Trillie Lovegood, too!  Yer Father’s pretty excited, ya know.  And of course, Mr. Albus Severus Potter.”  He wrapped Al in a big hug.  “Welcome to Hogwarts, kids.”  He smiled.

“Hagrid, this is our new friend, Sophie!”

“Well isn’t that nice.  How’d you do, Miss Sophie.  The names Rubeus Hagrid, groundskeeper and magical creatures professor.  I’d love to sit and chat, but I’ve got to get ye on the boats.  Firs’ years!”  He continued to shout.  “Firs’ years follow me!”

Rose, who was a wonderfully friendly person, grabbed my wrist again and brought me with her to the boats which Professor Hagrid spoke of.

“Why are we going on boats?”  I asked, breathless.  Rosie’s pace was exhausting.

“Because that’s what all the first years do!  Hagrid’s been doing this for years.”  She smiled.

“Shouldn’t you call him Professor?”  I asked.

“He doesn’t really like to be called that.  Plus, Hagrid is an old family friend.  You’ll like him, trust me.”  She beamed.  I was pulled into a boat with Trillium and Al, who seem to have known each other for years.  I felt like a total outsider, but I didn’t dare look a gift horse in the mouth.  At least I was being accepted.  That was more than I could say about the last school I was enrolled in.

We sat in tiny boats that rowed themselves, a tiny caravan of 11-year-olds, with Professor Hagrid in the lead.  The boats were lit by lanterns to match his, and we were all being taken up to the glorious castle.  The lake was massive, and dark shapes lurked around beneath.  Occasionally, something that was glowing would pop up out of the water and snap at a bug.  We laughed and chatted nervously.

“I hope I get Gryffindor!”  Al said.  “My parents were both Gryffindor, you know!”

“I was hoping for Ravenclaw.” Trillium said, smiling.

“Wait, I don’t understand.”  I interrupted.  “What does that mean?”

“Well, Hogwarts is divided into four houses.  The bravest go to Gryffindor, the smartest to Ravenclaw, the ambitious to Slytherin, and the rest to Hufflepuff.  But Slytherin isn’t a good house.”  He shook his head.  “Bad people come out of Slytherin.”  Al finished.

“Not necessarily, Al.  Don’t scare her.  Not all Slytherins are bad people, but all bad people were in Slytherin.  If that makes sense…” Rose explained.

“Here we are,” Hagrid boomed.  “Welcome to Hogwarts, ladies and gents.”

 

The castle was beautiful.  The lighting gave it a yellow-orange glow.  The pictures all moved around, and the staircases shifted constantly.  We walked down an elegantly tiled hallway, hung with photos who smiled at us, and many elaborate tapestries and statues.  A ghost floated by us, adding to my amazement.  We arrived just outside of a great hall, where we were asked to wait for the Headmistress to brief us.  Rose informed me that she had always spoken to the first years before the sorting took place, though in the past, Headmasters and Mistresses were not known to speak to the first years until later.

“Welcome to Hogwarts.”  An old lady said.  Her hair was almost completely gray and pulled into a tight bun, a witch hat sat slightly askew on her head.  She wore spectacles over her sparking eyes and spoke sharply.  “You will now go inside of the dining hall and be sorted.  When I call your name, you will sit on the stool and the sorting hat will put you in your houses, which will be like your families while you are here at Hogwarts.  Remember, no house is above the other, though I am hoping to see some of you in my own house, Gryffindor.” There was a sound from behind the door.  “All right, follow me!”  She opened the door and walked quickly.  We all followed, desperately trying not to trip on our ill-fitting robes.  There were hundreds of students all sitting at four long tables, the ends empty.  I guessed that we would be seated at those ends.  We all lined up and awaited our names.

“Rosie Weasley.”  Rosie squeaked with excitement, finally letting go of my wrist.  The shadow of her hand still resided there, and I felt as though she was still hanging onto me.  A ratty old hat was placed on her head and she practically vibrated with excitement, flipping her red hair as the hat came down.  After a moment, the hat loudly announced, “GRYFFINDOR!”  And she rushed over, excitedly.

After a few names I didn’t recognize, Trillium was called up.  The hat took a little longer with her than it had with anyone else.  Her face was all scrunched up as she waited, as if she was fighting with the hat, or maybe herself.  “RAVENCLAW!”  It called, and she rushed over to be with the cheering Ravenclaw students.  She waved to Rosie when she arrived, not looking disappointed in the slightest.

“She’s got her mother’s mind.” I heard someone say.

“Yes, but she must have her father’s heart as well!  The hat took a full 3 minutes!”  Another mysterious voice declared.

Al was next, and he approached slowly.  Headmistres McGonagall smiled at him as she set the hat down.  It took maybe two minutes for the hat to shout “SLY-“ and all the color in Al’s face drained.  But the hat took back it’s original statement. “All right, all right, boy!  GRYFFINDOR!” It finished.  Albus raced from the stool to sit next to Rosie.  Many other names were called, but I didn’t recognize any of them.  I wasn’t sure how the order was decided, but as usual I was last to be called.  I walked up, my palms sweaty.  I almost collapsed as I sat in the chair.  Would I be with my friends?  Or would I be kicked out, forced to find some way to make new friends, doubtful to be half as accepting of me.

Hmmm… the hat said inside of my head.  I jumped, unprepared.  Then I closed my eyes and waited.  Good heart, I can see that… But you also have a good mind.  Yes, you’re very bright… And ambitious too!  Oh you would do well in every house… Well I usually put the ones like you in Hufflepuff- why?  Don’t want to be a Hufflepuff?  But they’re great fun!  An image of a room full of plants, a view of daisies and daffodils visible outside of a window, it was warm and homely, and it felt just right.  I still couldn’t imagine leaving my friends.  No?  Hm… I suppose I’ve grown soft then, haven’t I?  HA!  Better be… Hm… It seemed like ages.  She didn’t dare open her eyes to see all of the faces looking up at her.  She silently plead for Gryffindor, even if she wouldn’t fit in, even if she would be the most cowardly member of Gryffindor, she wanted to be with her friends.  She wouldn’t be able to go it alone.  Gryffindor?  What’s so great about Gryffindor?  The hat inquired.  Hm… A heart of gold, I do see it in you.  Well then… “GRYFFINDOR!” It cried, and was removed.  To thunderous cheers I raced over and sat next to Albus, who ruffled my hair and laughed, looking relieved.  A tall boy with dark hair and deep blue eyes rose to shake my hand.

“My name is Tommy, I’m head Prefect of Gryffindor.  Welcome!”  He was beaming like my addition to the House was a large accomplishment.  I smiled back at him.

“My name is Sophie.”  I replied.

“Well, congratulations, Gryffindor!  After perhaps the longest that the Sorting Hat has ever taken to place a person, you’ve won the battle!  Put her to good use.”  Headmistress McGonagall smiled.  “Now for announcements, The Forest is absolutely forbidden to every student.  As usual, there are rules.  If you follow them, I trust you’ll have a favorable time here at Hogwarts, but if not…” She looked around.  “It may be less enjoyable.  Now, let the feast… Begin.”  She snapped her fingers and a feast of roasted turkey appeared on the table, enough for everyone to have first, seconds, and even thirds.  We dug in hungrily, ignoring manners.  It had been a long day.  I bit into the turkey hungrily, and it was perhaps the most delicious thing I’d ever tasted.  It was soft and warm, cooked to perfection, and breaded delicately.  I even had seconds, unusual for me.

After we were all full, Rose informed me that the hat had taken perhaps twenty minutes to sort me.  I was shocked, how had I been up there for more than 5?  It had felt like ages, but I had assumed it was just my own perception.  I smiled.

“I’m so glad it chose Gryffindor.” I said.

“So are we.”  Al added.  “Pass the salt?”

 

After dinner, Professor McGonagall informed me that curfew would be effective in exactly one hour, and that any student caught wandering the halls at night would come to regret it.  Tommy, head Prefect, lead us to our common room, which was guarded by a fat lady.

“Password?”  She asked, fanning herself and looking bored.

“Toadstools  Tommy answered.

“That’s correct.” She sighed, and the portrait swung open to reveal a common room with chairs and fireplaces scattered about.  It smelled like Pumpkin Juice.

I was led by Rose, yet again by my wrist, up into the dorm room.  My trunk was settled by a bed right next to hers and a few feet away from a window.  The beds were hung with drapes that could be opened and closed.  They were decorated with red and gold.  The sheets beneath the beds were white.  I pulled out the quilt my mother had made me.  She insisted I pack it, since I wouldn’t be coming home until Christmas.  I had rolled my eyes, but now was happy that I’d done so, seeing the rather ratty blanket that would be otherwise my only warmth on long winter nights.  Rose unpacked some of her things onto the side table, including a flashy alarm clock and a tiny puppy doll.  I didn’t have much to unload, but set a picture of my family on my bedside table.  I was relieved to see that I wasn’t the only one to do so.

After a rather frenzied search, I found that Barnabus was not with my things.  Rose, seeing my panic, explained that he would be at the Owlry, and promised to show me where that was located when I next needed to send a letter.  She then pulled me into her bed, where she had laid a flannel blanket decorated with swirls and spots and soft as flannel could be.

“So, what do you think of my cousin?”  She asked, her blue eyes alight with intrigue.

“Your… Cousin?”  I asked.  “Is that Trillium?”

She laughed.  “No, silly!  Al!  He’s my cousin.  What do you think of him?”  She smiled in anticipation of my answer.

“He’s cute.” I laughed; I’d never had a friend to tell such things to.  “And a really nice guy.” I blushed heavily.  “I’m happy to have met you all.”

“Oh that’s so cute!  I heard him tell you that on the train, see I was only pretending to be asleep.  He’s never really liked a girl before!”  She wrapped me up in a hug.  “How exciting!”  She sat back.  “It’s a shame Trillie couldn’t be here with us.  I’m not technically related to her, but she’s been practically another cousin since I was little.  But I know she would never have been happy in Gryffindor.  She was telling me on the train ride here.”

“Oh.”  I said.  “But we’ll still see her, right?”

“Yes, the Houses interact quite often.”  She smiled.  “So, what do you think, want to be friends?”  She asked.

“I thought we already were.”  I laughed, shyly.

“Best friends, then.”  She wrapped me up in another fierce hug, which I returned, happily.  I’d never had a best friend before.



© 2013 Jessie


Author's Note

Jessie
I hope you enjoyed! Please comment, sorry for how long the chapters are. I hope they're worth reading n_n

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Jessie
Jessie

MI



About
Oh, hello there. Welcome to my little corner of the internet... Enjoy :) Feel free to review, I can't get better if I don't know that to fix n_n more..

Writing
Hopeless Hopeless

A Poem by Jessie


Random Prologue Random Prologue

A Story by Jessie


Nine Nine

A Poem by Jessie