Durfie

Durfie

A Story by Yue Zhang
"

A fantasy story about elves. It's unfinished, and may be developed into a book.

"
In a forest of white she stood. Rigid like the pillars her white hands graced--- pale, cold like the snow that blanketed everything. Floating gracefully, ethereal, her sleeves feathered the fallen stones. Not feeling the cold that sent many animals scurrying into hibernation, only the emptiness of a mid-winter world. The blue tinge of her skin, illuminated by the light of the gray sky, looked unnatural, for a human, but she was human---partially; Her ears remain rounded, her features softened by the gentle curves, of her cheeks, chin, and nose. Only her skin, and the violet sparkle in her eyes, reminded the world of the elfish blood coursing through her. 
The day was still young, though the sky looked ancient. Grumbling clouds of gray shoved each other across the sky, leaving no cracks for blue to peak through. Mother Earth was resting. She gently knelt down and brushed snow off a rock, revealing a sprout, clinging to the dirt on the surface. It wasn't going to survive, same as many animals this winter. Merciless winter. 
"Durfie! Where are you? The meeting is about to start!" The call, though filled with annoyance, carried a sweet melody. 
"Coming mother." She swiftly turned, gathered her skirt, and ran toward the forest, her feet barely touching the ground.
The village was shrouded by shadows, cast by the leafless branches of the great oaks. During the summers, sunlight would sprinkle the forest floor, scattered by the greenery, but it was winter, and the shadows only made everything appear monochromatic. The streets were quiet, leave for a few folks who were also rushing towards the center oak. The massive tree had been hollowed out, five hundred years ago, and stands as the great hall, where the council of five openly discuss urgent matters. Everyone, except one or two loners who lived at the edge of the village, attended these meetings. It was the only way to hear an important announcement. The last few villagers slipped into the oak as the bark was pulled back in. 
"My dear people, winter has fallen upon us. Though we may not feel the sting of the cold, the lack of food will surely harm us. We must find another way to gather nutrients." The commanding voice booming from the ledge above set a hush upon the crowd. "Elves, for generations, have relied on the forest for food and shelter, but this winter will be different. We can feel it." A murmur rippled through the hall, as elves of different ages nervously eyed each other. "Let us start searching further, to the southern forests, where snow has not yet rampaged. We require the special forces to band once again, to embark on this journey. May you stand out with honor and pride for serving our race." Slowly, one by one, young male elves walked onto the platform below the ledge. Twenty elves, ranging from sixteen summers to thirty, stood with their chests out, hands behind their backs. "Let us remember these young faces, who are willing to risk everything for our village. May you be successful, and return with good news." With a wave of the shadow hand, everyone quickly dispersed. The bark peeled back and curled to allow snowflakes in and everyone out. The snow began to fall again. 
"Durfie, come, dinner is ready." The wooden bowl stared apologetically back at Durfie as she scowled at the two fist sized potatoes. 
"Again mother? Why can't we eat something different for once?" 
"This is what was rationed to us. Be thankful you have food on the table." Durfie angrily picked up one of the potatoes and began gnawing on it. Her mother gently picked up the other and bite into it. "Delicious! Not so bad is it?" Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, Durfie shoved the last bit into her mouth before standing up. With a wave of her hand, she was out the door. "What am I going to do with her." The fire crackled in response. 
 

© 2011 Yue Zhang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. Very descriptive. It makes me want to know more....to find out where you are heading with this piece. Keep writing. :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
1 Review
Added on April 23, 2011
Last Updated on December 23, 2011
Tags: Fantasy, elves, hunger, searching, adventure, forest, magic

Author

Yue Zhang
Yue Zhang

AZ



About
Hello reader, my name is Jenny Zhang, and I am a teen author. Hopefully, someday my books will become best sellers. If you have read one of my unfinished books, and wish to read more, please message .. more..

Writing