Chapter 5 – Where are you mummy?

Chapter 5 – Where are you mummy?

A Chapter by Bradley Davies
"

With the loss of his mother and a mind so full of confusion it hurts, what will David do next?

"

Chapter 5 " Where are you mummy?

 

“What in God’s name if you’re f*****g problem, since all this was your idea, why the f**k did you do it? Where were you taking them any way?” Despite the soldier having a gun I still raise my voice at him and take on a higher ground.

“Safety, we were taking all those people to safety from what is about to come, even I do not know what is coming so do not ask any more stupid questions.” He calmly slides his gun into its holster as a sign that he is not remotely afraid of me. Well after all I am half his age and probably no way near even an eighth of his fighting experience, he looks to have been in the war for a while judging from his rank and badges on the uniform. “And as for my problem you a*s is that I just had to send a hell lot of innocent people to their deaths, all on the account of hiding your precious little existence. Good thing you get to pay for it more than me seeing as you stupid mother is dead.”

“YOU HORRIBLE BRUTE!” I point an accusing finger at the man I hate more than any thing else and something jolts within my finger and suddenly the end of my pointed finger explodes with blood. From the explosion something comes flying out at an alarming speed and straight into the generals left eyes which bursts like and egg and with a crack, through the skull behind it. Then it gets sucked back (slashing open his eye socket) into my finger so fast it should have broken it, but my finger remains pointed and no pain is felt. I look from the gash in my finger tip to the soldier who is still standing for about a second then falls to his knees and then backwards onto the ground. Dead.

I fall to my knees much like the soldier, wondering what the hell has happened to my hand and did I really want to kill him. What if he is not my first kill, what if I kill more on a lust for blood? I start to worry even more now, because in my head I stayed in that line and the old me died in that gunfire, because now I have changed. I turn to my mother now lying dead on the floor, I can not just leave her to lay here and rot I want to show how much I loved her so I pick her up, quite surprisingly I can hold her and I am only 15.

After I have led my mum down to rest on her bed back in the house I return to the bus and climb on top of it to study my fingertip after what happened. Amazingly it has healed fully but not in the right way, there seems to be a dip in my finger tip now just under the fingernail like the top of a volcano. What the hell happened to my finger? And are all of my fingers like that? My head is full of confusion but hopefully my mum was right in saying that my dad has answers, how the hell does she now that though? Before I can ponder and create any more questions I hear a small girl crying, from within the bus. I jump of the roof and land softly, I approach the door of the bus slowly so as not to scare the child. That is when I see her, curled up at the back hands over her ears crying. I step into the isle of the bus silently without making any sudden noise and knock on one of the metal bars going from the seat to the roof.

“Hey little girl, are you alright?” The girl suddenly goes quiet lifts her head up and wipes a few tears away.

“No, where’s my mummy” She asks innocently, I am not much good with children, but in my attempt to comfort her I ask.

“I am not sure, what was she wearing? And hopefully I can find her.”

“Please, do not leave me with the baddy men, are they all gone or are they still out there I do not like them, please say they are gone.”

“It is alright little girl, they are all gone now, what is your name?”

“Kelly.”

“Alright Kelly what was your mum wearing? If you remember.” Her face changes from one of fear to on of concentration as she recalls what her mum was wearing and suddenly the memory comes back and she looks dead at me.

“A light blue jumper with on of my butterfly stickers on it.” She smiles remembering the time she gave her mum the butterfly sticker, probably this morning. I go outside to check if she is any where around. Then it hits me, the mum must have been on the bus and then must have been in that line, I turn my gaze down to the ground, to the bodies hoping she is not there. Then I see her lifeless body slumped against the bus wheel, I am almost sick but manage to keep my stomach under control. I start shaking with horror and fear of how I will tell Kelly what happened to her mum, then I hear something that strangely unnerves me much more than death ever could. A high pitched whistling. I turn my head left and right looking frantically to what the hell the sound is, and I spot a fire near the front of the bus and also near the fire is the source of the whistling, I only realise now that the whistling is gas and gas is highly flammable.

“S**t! KELLY GET OUT QUI…” suddenly the whole bus just explodes sending me flying into the wall of a house some couple of metres back, and then as I watch the bus slowly crackling with flames, I black out.

 

Suddenly I come to a blurred muffled consciousness which feels more uncomfortable than sitting on a cactus. I groan a few times then I hear something, like some one shouting at me near by, but some how far away.

“Aye-fee, aye-fee, aye-fee.”  That is all can hear over and over again then I feel a cold rush over my head and every thing turns normal again.

“DAVID!”

 I sit up immediately looking around and realise it is getting dark and the bus is still burning but only half the fire it once was. I look round and see a very welcome face and I break into a smile. I shake my head like a dog to get rid of the majority of the water my company must have showered me with.

“Stuart, where have you been? The day has been terrible and I have no idea what the hell is going on… wait why are you not on a bus?” From what was happiness to see Stuart soon turns to worry, if he is not on the bus, then he is not with the majority of the people. That must mean he is in danger.

“Trying to find you, sorry about tipping water over you, you were mumbling and looked really bad, so I thought I should wake you up a bit.” He tries to change the subject but I am more worried about him than any other feeling right now.

“STUART, answer me for god’s sake, why are you not on a damn bus, why did the soldiers not take you?” I see a tear and apologise immediately for shouting at him, but then he corrects me.

“I live on the streets by myself with no parents and no general existence to the government, you will find that every homeless man, women, boy and girl you have ever seen never got on the busses, we are not important so we just get left behind. Just think about it David, us without homes will not get on in an enclosed civilian village with housed people, we would simply cause to much trouble and be just that little bit more effort to evacuate.” His news shocks me like thunder straight to my heart, I start tearing up realising that him and I are just the same now that my mother has passed and I am still not mourning her strangely.

“I am sorry to hear that Stuart, may I ask why you are on the streets?” He cries even more then looks up at me and explains.

“I never got bullied out of school, I left there because of my situation, I always had the situation, but it escalated to an extreme. When I was nine almost ten my mum and dad would always argue, but they would make sure that I would never see them fight but I could still hear it. One day I had enough of the fighting and decided to walk into the room that they were fighting in and hoping that my presence would stop them from arguing for just one night. My mum noticed me and ran towards me crouching to my level and hugging me tight, my dad was in a rage and grabbed my mum by the shoulder, he is not even your son, he yelled at her” Stuart goes quiet and I begin to say something but then he carries on.

“I remember crying out to who I thought was my mother ‘no’ as if she was being taken away from me for ever, which to my surprise she was taken away from me for ever at that moment. My day pulled her away from me and with such force she tumbled backwards behind my dad at a great speed. Her head collided with the fire place and she slumped on the floor motionless, my dad turned round to shout at her once more, but then stopped and collapsed on the floor crying. Turned out my mum died that night. So much blood…” Stuart suddenly goes quiet and his face goes pale with shock as if he was reliving that exact moment. I feel like I should do something to change the subject, but how? So I focus on the now and not Stuart’s past.

“We have to go Stuart, I am sorry about what happened but if we stand here any longer some more soldiers might come and I am not sure what they will do.” He looks up and suddenly his face returns to its former tanned colour.

“Yeah those guys aren’t going to like what you have done to this place.” He nods at the burning bus and chuckles, he walks of and I go after him with no intention to be alone. Then I look back at the bus and give a silent apology to the now burning Kelly and is it me or is there a hooded man to the left of the bus far in the distance. Watching. Stuff him I say to myself and carry on walking after Stuart who is waiting a few metres away smiling to ensure me that things will get better, with every thing that is going on it can’t get better.

Remembering that the soldier kept me alive due to my existence I run back to the dead general and grab his gun from the holster and take a fair amount of ammunition stored in a box from his jacket pocket. I look up to see the hooded man where he was just a few seconds ago but as I expected, he has made a quick get away. I turn round to head after Stuart who is confusingly waiting for me.

“David, why did you take the gun and it bullets?” he asks with a stutter and I realise that he must be scared at the moment, I shall have to explain to him.

“Before I blacked out long before you came to me a soldier told me that every one on the bus I was on had to die to hide my existence. Seeing as I look like the one who killed everyone and blew the bus up, I am going to be in a lot of trouble with the army and police. Then the hiding my existence thing just makes things a lot worse.” His face changes and he accepts my explanation, we carry on walking as if this is the end of a very strange adventure and then he nudges me in the side with his elbow.

“Fair enough and you do know you are going to have to do a lot of explaining when you find out what the hell is going on with your life, right? I mean I guess you have no clue what is going on because I always see that look of confusion in my eyes.” He chuckles and I feel as if I have found a really good friend in Stuart.

“Do not worry; we will stick together for as long as possible. I will be like your big bro, who is there to protect you. Perhaps we can hopefully make it out of this mess in an alright state pretty soon; surely it can not get worse.” Then there is silence as we walk for a few seconds, and then he replies,

“Sounds awesome.”



© 2014 Bradley Davies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on July 31, 2013
Last Updated on July 26, 2014


Author

Bradley Davies
Bradley Davies

Gloucester, United Kingdom



About
Hey my names is Bradley, I am 18 while writing this (I am now 20 (23.09.2015) turning 21 on the 28th of September :D), I have loved to write but never been very good at it. I have always been able to .. more..

Writing