The Board is Set

The Board is Set

A Chapter by Brandon Lee Cochran

    The sun was rising. Turning the sky from its endless darkness to a crimson cream. The stars were fading under the light of the horizon. Angel sat on one of the dark velvet sofas in one of our private rooms. She was grinding her hands together in an uneasy tension that could be felt in the air. I could tell she was worried about my plans for war and the uprising.
    She finally noticed my gaze on her and raised her head. Shadows darkened the pockets under her eyes. Her eye liner smeared down her face from the early tears that happened hours ago. ''So you plan to kill them? Aaron, Janie, and Madi?'' She said uneasily.
    I shook my head ''No, they are still my friends. I just want to take them away from their spots on the council. It's not right that there are three Haven rulers and only two Underworld rulers. We're out numbered in a vote if it goes against what they want. I want to restore power to my people. They are feared by the humans. They don't see that those, so called creatures out there are no different than them. They still have a human side but they're treated like a plague.'' I paused for a short moment ''And like any plague they want to be rid of it. They may not show it but I can see it in their eyes, not only that but in their actions. I'm not doing this all for me, I'm doing this for lycans, zombies, and vampires out there.'' I pointed towards the window.
    Angel nodded. ''I see you're only doing what best for your people but is it right risking everything we have, even our children, to satisfy your political satisfaction?''
    ''This is no longer about politics. Aaron wants it like the good old days, he wants blood. He is tainted with the power he has and I fear what he will do with it.'' I lowered my gaze to the obsidian tiles on the floor. ''I don't want it to be like this, but it must be done.''
    She nodded in her approval. ''Just increase the number of guards on the palace. I don't want anything to happen to the children.''
    ''Exactly what I intended to do.'' I smile reassuringly.



    I lay in bed, unable to sleep. Something was keeping me at unease. Though I had no clue what it was. I slid out of bed and tied the sash of my dark silk robes. I turned my head to check and make sure Angel was still asleep. She snuggled her head deeper into the pillow unaware that I was no longer laying by her side. I walked out of the room gently shutting the giant ebony doors to our bed chambers. The tiles of the corridor were cold against my pale feet. Everything seemed colder now a days as if nature could sense that something were about to change the fate of the world.
    My bare feet patted against the floor as I walked. I had no clue where I was heading, I just knew I needed to be somewhere. Finally I realized that I was walking to the throne room towards the giant hearth that sat in the middle of the room. The flames licking the air and casting a yellowish light against the pillars that sat across from the walls. The mood it gave was somewhat peaceful yet eerie. I stair into the fire trying to find some compassion from it, but nothing came to my gaze.
    I sighed and held my hand into the fire. ''Elizabeth.'' I called into it. The embers that lay in the hearths center begin to glow brighter. They started to shake and rumble to the edges of the heart pushing themselves against the stone barrier. First came a head, long dark hair as black as the night, then pale skin and and brown eyes, finally an entire body arose from the hearth in light armor for court. It was Elizabeth. She bowed her head.
    ''My lord, I wasn't expecting contact from you.'' She said a little shocked.
    ''C'mon,'' I gestured to an area next to me ''No need to stay in the hearth. We need to talk about our plans for the uprising.''
    She nodded and stepped out of the earth and onto the floor. She made no sound, she was trained to be silent and deadly. A warrior of Hell. We started walking towards the doors that lead to the outside balcony that overlooked the abyss.
    ''After the new accords are signed there is going to be dance.'' I said. ''That would be the best time to strike. The guards should be thin from the haven. They'll expect no conflict at the dance.''
    She turned her head to me ''Still, I will bring the full force of the army. If Aaron is suspicious of something happening he will have guards at hand.'' I nodded.
    ''What about the eggs? Are they hatched yet?'' I asked bleakly.
    ''No, my lord. It'll at least be another week till they're hatched.''
    I shook my head ''We don't have weeks time, the dance is in three days. Prepare the army. Get them through the portal at about 12:30. They'll be in the middle of the feast. Everyone will be busy stuffing their faces and not paying attention.''
    She stopped abruptly looking a little paler than usual. I turned toward her. ''What is it?''
    She looked down at her feet ''I fear something will go wrong with this. I fear you'll die.''
    I chuckled. ''I'm immortal, Elizabeth. Death can't touch me for I am death.''
    She tried to smile but couldn't do it ''How silly of me, of course.'' She still looked concerned beyond her being.
    ''Go,'' I commanded ''Prepare the army and don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Death comes on swift wings and so shall we.'' She nodded and stepped up onto the stone railing of the balcony. She looked back over at my and jumped into the abyss. With a tiny flow of fire I knew she was in the Underworld and I was in much need of sleep.



© 2012 Brandon Lee Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
Added on September 7, 2012
Last Updated on September 7, 2012


Author

Brandon Lee Cochran
Brandon Lee Cochran

Terre Haute, IN



About
My name is Brandon Cochran, I'm a fictional writer. A lot of my writing contains vampires, demons, werewolves/lycans, or zombies. The characters in my book are based off of my friends and myself, with.. more..

Writing