Following the Rabbit

Following the Rabbit

A Chapter by Brandon Lee Cochran

    I stood, wiping the remainder of the blood from my lips and backed away from Evelyn's cold, pale, lifeless body.
    Aaron's eyes were wide, his gaze was fixated on the limp body before me. ''What are we going to do man....'' Aaron spoke with a quivering jaw. ''I can't go to jail. You know what they do to sexy guys like me in jail?''
    I looked at him from the corner of my eye. ''We're not going to jail, Aaron.'' I said as calmly as I possibly could.
    ''What the hell are we going to do!'' he began pacing as he ran his fingers through his dirty blonde hair.
    I looked back at the body and thought. Quickly an idea came to me. ''We could throw it in one of the dumpsters.''
    Aaron stopped pacing and spun around to face me. ''Have you never seen CSI?! They'll find us!''
    ''Do you know nothing of the cops in Terre Haute? They're too lazy to do any real work. Besides, we put a beer in her hand and lay her against a trashcan they'll think she passed out and smashed her head on the dumpster while she fell. Boom. Case closed.'' I said with a shrug.
    Aaron now seemed pleased with my idea. ''Fine. Lets get the body in the trunk. But if we end up getting caught you're the one bending over in prison!''



    After we disposed of the body we did the next most logical thing, we went to IHOP for some pancakes. Aaron and I sat at a booth. He got a massive plate of pancakes that were drenched in the rich golden syrup. ''Man, I need to get me a bottle of this stuff and try it next time Janie and I get between the sheets.'' Aaron exclaimed as the half chewed pancakes flew about the table.
    I wiped off a few stray crumbs from my skinny jeans and ate my bacon strips. It's sad that people think vampire can only drink blood. In reality blood is the only nutritious food to us, anything else is simply lacking in any real value of nutrition.
    I glanced at the clock that was hanging on the wall across from our table. ''We're going to be late for work if you don't hurry up.'' I remarked realizing the current time.
    Aaron quickly shoved two more pancakes in his mouth and left a twenty on the table. He looked like a chipmunk stocking up for winter when it stores nuts in it's cheeks. In this case pancakes. I chuckled to myself at the thought.
    As we neared the door Aaron stopped ''Jesus, be right back. I have to go take a massive s**t.'' the emphasis he put on on ''massive'' made me shake my head and smile. The best part about Aaron was that he was a hilarious idiot.
    Awkwardly waiting outside the bathroom for Aaron I looked around at the surrounding tables in the restaurant. A table at the far corner of the room sat a girl, sitting the the seat that faced towards the entrance of IHOP. Her eyes were a gleaming sapphire blue with tiny flecks of occasional gold. They seemed to glow in florescent lighting that the overhead lights radiated. Her hair was a blonde and brown mix. The occasional curled strand tossed to the side. She smiled as she chatted with someone sitting across from her, probably a friend. She cast a glance at me and her smile wavered a bit when she caught sight of me staring at her.
    Just then Aaron swung the door of the bathroom open and the door smacked me in the face. I stumbled backwards. ''Woah bro, watch where you're throwing doors.'' I glared at him.
    ''Sorry,'' he shrugged ''Anyway, c'mon. Lets get to work. I don't need to be late again. Last time Janie and I were having a quickie in the car.''
    I stopped and looked at him ''Tell me you cleaned up afterwards?''
    ''Don't worry, I sprayed Fabreeze.'' My jaw dropped and then snapped back up as I shivered in disgust at the thought.


    We pulled into the mall's parking lot. It was fairly empty since it was morning.  I walked into Hot Topic as Aaron went off in another direction, I think he was heading towards Spencer's Gift Shop. Knowing Aaron that means a bag full of lord knows what BDSM accessories.
    ''You're late.''
    ''Sorry, we had an... incident on the road.''
    Out from behind a rack of clothing popped Elizabeth Kerns' head. I've known her ever since middle school. We started hanging out and became close friends, sort of like Aaron and I. Well... except she doesn't know about my bloody, monstrous secret. ''Well at least you didn't kill yourself you freakishly tall idiot.''
    I smirked at this. ''Yeah, well at least your still short and not intimidating.'' She gave my a glare and then started laughing.
    "Ah, work would be so dull without you here to entertain me.'' She smiled.
    ''Now you're just making me sound like a stripper. If that's the case then I'm on work ever Friday night in full leather gear.'' I winked at her.
    ''Ha ha! I think Losier would kill you if he found out about that.''
    ''Speaking of Losier where is that dipshit?'' I looked around to see any sight of my other idiotic co-worker.
    Elizabeth shrugged ''Probably out back fapping to one of his creepy hentai sites.''
    ''Hey now, don't diss on hentai. Not all of it is tentacle rape.''
    We both lurched forward gasping for air as we laughed in hysteria.



    It seemed as if the day was treading by slowly. We had an occasional customer but mainly just a bunch of people walking around the store, looking around, and then leaving. Figures. The economy always seems to be in the s***s anyway.
    Liz was busy shooing away a bunch of little kids, probably ten year olds, looking at the ''erotic'' section of the store. Humph. Here I thought my generation was very perverted and horny. Clearly I was wrong.
    She walked back over to the counter where I was folding some new shirts that came into stock. ''Are you alright?'' She cocked her head to the side in an inquisitive way. I could see the faint blue vein pulsing, almost as if it were taunting me to bite into it and welcome the crimson droplets that pulsed through it.
    I averted my gaze and continued acting like I was focused on my task at hand of folding shirts. ''Yeah, I'm fine. Like I said, Aaron and I got into a bit of a accident this morning and it's sort of... bugging me.''
    It wasn't a lie. I honestly loved and cared for Evelyn. And the fact that I killed her was messing with my head and heart. Not only that, but it was the first time I've fed from the source. I usually drink animal blood or sneak into the blood donation facility and steal a few bags. Aside from the fact that I killed Evelyn I actually feel great. Abound with energy. I guess this is what druggies feel like when they get their fix.
    ''What happened?'' she continued her inquisition.
    ''Meh, nothing too bad. Just an incident with... homicidal deer.'' Okay, now that was a lie. But I couldn't tell the truth. Oh hey! I'm a vampire and I just killed my girlfriend because as it turned out she wanted to put a stick through my heart! Awesome right! Good god. She'd think I'm bloody crazy.
    ''Sup guys?''
    Elizabeth and I both turned around to see Losier standing at the back entrance of the store. It was supposed to be used as a fire exit but the alarm doesn't go off when you open it so we use it on our lunch breaks, if, for some reason, we don't feel like going through the main entrance.
    ''Not much. How about you dipshit?'' Liz replied.
    ''Meh, just got back from my break in shift. Glad to see you can make it Cockman.''
    Cockman. The nickname a few of my friends called me by. Because my last name is Cochran I tend to get a lot of jokes about it. ''Yeah. Glad to be here.'' Not really. I'd rather be at home sleeping till the Sun goes down so that way I can enjoy a nice night. Even though I can walk around in the day I want to sleep and then go out and go crazy in the night. I suppose that part in the vampire movies was true. There was a pull to want to be in the night. I just seemed... welcoming.
    ''I wonder if it'd be funner working at Spencer's.'' Losier thought aloud.
    ''Not really. They were playing a bunch of Justin Bieber and a whole bunch of other crap songs.'' Liz remarked.
    Losier cast a glare at her ''Don't be hating on my home girl, Bieber.'' He said in a sassy tone as he snapped his fingers.
    I chuckled. This could never get tiring. The goofing around, occasional work, not to mention you get everything in Hot Topic at a lot cheaper price. Always nice. Now I have money that I can use to go out to the clubs at night.
    A shiver went up my spine. A tingling on the back of my neck. Something felt off. I looked around the store. My eyes immediately fell upon the entrance.
    ''It's that girl again....'' I mumbled unwittedly.
    ''What'd you say, Cochran?'' It was Liz.
    ''Um-uh Nothing. Just going out for a quick walk....''
    ''Okay, hurry up. Your shift starts back in ten minutes!''
    My gaze was held on the girl. There was something about her that kept my focus, though I can't exactly say what it was. She was still with her friend from IHOP. They seemed to be unaware that I was watching them.
    They began to walk away. I continued to follow at a distance so as not to be noticed. So far so successful. Her friend mumbled something to her and walked in a different direction. As her friend did so she continued on her normal route, continuing to go straight. She walked by a maintenance door that seemed old and unbothered. Once she got about a foot away from it it flew open. She was grabbed up and drug inside.
    I ran. Straight for the door, my vampiric speed got me there fairly quick. I tried the handle, but it wouldn't budge. I slammed my side into it as hard as I could and it flew open. Once I did it opened up the walkway in the mall to the old storage unit. The girl from IHOP was pinned against a wall and a dark figure with leather gloves had her by the throat. Lifting her off the ground.
    The figure whipped around and faced me. A look with a mix of surprise and annoyance burdened his face. ''You....''
    He dropped the girl and charged at me. He was surprisingly quick. Before I could do anything he was on me, I was thrown against the wall like the girl. Except his grip on my throat was a grip that could kill me if given the time to do so. Luckily my hands weren't pinned down. I threw them up and landed a punch to the figures face. He flew back and slammed into a wall making a loud cracking noise.
    The man got up quickly and charged at me again. This time I didn't underestimate him. I launched myself upward and out kicked my leg. It connected with his chest making him gasp. On my way back down I sent my elbow into his back with enough force to make another loud crackling sound. The man fell to the ground soundlessly.
    I glanced over to see the girl laying on the ground unconsciously. As much as I wanted to go check and see if she was alright I knew I should question the man that lay at my feet. I knelt down and grabbed him by the front of his black shirt.
    ''Who are you? What is it you wanted from the girl and why did you attack me?!'' I growled at him.
    The man coughed. After a moments pause he said ''Who I am doesn't matter. The girl was going to be a snack, a vampire has to feed. I think you know that well enough.''
    ''There are vampires out there?'' I was shocked, the man could tell it from the way my voice raised.
    The man gave a harsh chuckle. ''Yes. There are many. I'm surprised you didn't know your own kind existed, Blood Lord.''
    ''Why did you call me that?''
    "Because, it's what you are. You have powers and abilities that no other person, vampire or human, could amount. Where I come from you are feared and respected... and wanted dead by the president of our clan.''
    "So that's why you attacked me.... Why is it he wants me dead?''
    ''Because, if the president had you out of the way then there would be no one to stand against the plans that are held for the future.''
    ''Plans? What plans?"
    ''To rule over both vampires and the human race. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must kill you!'' Then the man shot upward towards me. Fangs bared and ready to drain me dry.
    I pulled my arm back and launched a punch straight at his chest. It went through his body and his heart. The man stopped. Slumped over and fell to ashes. Tiny little cinders falling to the floor.
    I walked over to the girl and turned her over. She seemed alright. No cuts or bruises. I can't leaver her here.... I picked her up and threw her over my shoulder and started walking further into the maintenance area.
    ''If I remember correctly there should be an exit back here that leads to a back alley. I can take that and get out of here unnoticed and take her back to my place till she wakes up.'' I said to myself.
    I finally reached the door and flew it open as sunlight blinded me momentarily.
    Now the question is what am I going to do about her when she wakes up....


© 2013 Brandon Lee Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on January 14, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2013


Author

Brandon Lee Cochran
Brandon Lee Cochran

Terre Haute, IN



About
My name is Brandon Cochran, I'm a fictional writer. A lot of my writing contains vampires, demons, werewolves/lycans, or zombies. The characters in my book are based off of my friends and myself, with.. more..

Writing