Marching Towards Berlin

Marching Towards Berlin

A Story by Brandon Lee
"

I wrote this during my spare time. I would love some constructive criticism.

"

Staring ahead, a middle-aged but still-handsome man with vibrant brown hair, pale complexion, and slightly overweight physique glanced up and saw the great looming expanses of the Alps towering overhead. Letting his imagination run wild, he dreamed that they were some mystical, ancient tribe of unwavering giant warriors guarding and blocking his path to the Promised Land. He did so with as much ardor and enthusiasm as he had as a younger man when he had spent the summers in these very mountains.

Spurned into the recollection of a treasured memory, Brian could do nothing but picture the hopeful notion of someday returning home to his summer villa in the Austrian alpines and spending one more day relaxing in the sunlit hillside of his inherited estate. He remembered drinking his favorite mix of champagne while listlessly staring off into the horizon, his eyes caressed by the beautiful view and his body stroked by the light, soothing warmth of the gentle sun overhead. The breeze would gently blow southward, wafting in the cool, fragrant smell of the Edelweiss flowers that grew in the northern lands of Germany. But all that was behind him now.

At this very moment, Brian was steadily marching with his troop towards the heart of Germany, Berlin, from their departure point in Chamonix in France. It had been a grueling journey to arrive at this point to say the least, as Brian had fought through countless battles and skirmishes in this god-forsaken war, having been present when he fled his home country of Austria when the Nazis had first annexed it, and having had landed in Normandy, during the infamous battle of “D-day” that is accredited to have saved the allied forces from certain defeat.

Brian had lost a great many friends in his trek towards Germany, including his childhood playmate and only true companion, Sam, who was shot straight through the head by a German sniper and died instantly while they were in landing craft off the shores of Germany, readying to land. Brian still remembered the light leaving Sam’s eyes as he laid sprawled out on Brian’s lap, with brain matter and blood splattered on Brian’s clothes. Looking down, Brian noted that these stains were still ever-present on his tattered uniform.

“Stop, Troop 32 move in and look for any remaining Germans or civilians!” Brian heard his commanding officer yell.

Of course Major Armstrong would be absent-mindedly yapping out his orders to us; while sitting on his combat truck completely immersed in his comfortable mobile command center, enjoying whatever comforts that would be afforded despite our current embarkation. Despite his name, Major Armstrong was a man of feeble frame and even worse character. Brian wondered how he had even managed to receive the rank of Major. Perhaps family ties in the Allied Armies?

The skies were darkening and it seemed like the heavens were right about to burst with their tears, ready to cleanse the bloodied earth when the Major’s troops began the arduous journey of clearing the home the Major had pointed out. While exploring about, kicking over the fallen beams and shattered glass, Private Brian in Troop 32 of the 5th Battalion remarked about how familiar this morbid setting seemed. Certainly, the shattered buildings and detonated landscape weren’t giving away any clues to what this desolated landscape once was, and the fresh craters from the mortar shells that had flown over this area only but a few hours ago did not help. Despite the multitude of these peculiar new landmarks that rendered the scenery around here all but recognizable, Brian was sure he had seen this place before.

The rediscovery of the connection of this countryside to Brian was hanging on the inside of his mind by only a thread, threatening to detach itself at any moment. Suddenly, a wave of understanding came over the young protagonist. This was his summer manor! Suddenly overcome with a wave of emotion for his past life, Brian broke down on the unkempt ground and burst into tears. How could his life have come to this? Brian thought. He fell over crying as the first droplets of rain began to make their journey downwards from the omnipresent clouds above, covering him and trickling down the giant Alps, which would forever keep their vigilant watch into the horizon.

© 2014 Brandon Lee


Author's Note

Brandon Lee
I would love some constructive criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did a great job writing this, i really enjoyed reading it.
Really nice story, keep up the good work!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 5, 2014
Tags: War, Alps, France, Germany, WWII

Author

Brandon Lee
Brandon Lee

Diamond Bar, CA



About
I am current attending high school and live in California. I enjoy writing as a hobby. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Brandon Lee