The Things that Never Change

The Things that Never Change

A Story by Brighid an Lasair

I 90 is like an old friend to me; I've made this drive more times that I can count, more often to see you than anyone or anything else. It's the end of September; it's 4AM and we're just outside Albany heading East. It's a brisk autumn morning, the windows are down the radio is cranked and there's a cooler in the back seat that was well stocked with water and large cans of monster before we left; the water, consequently, has remained untouched.

In about an hour this drive will cross its final state line; we'll break through to the Berkshires just before dawn begins to hang on the horizon. In the wake of the morning grays the scarlet and gold staining of the autumnal leaves will become miraculously apparent. I've been waiting for that moment all night, more importantly; I've been waiting to share it with you. It's been a long while since you and I have shared a sunrise, to top it off, you aren't expecting me until later tonight; I just couldn't resist an opportunity to surprise you.

Before long, I'm noticing the signs adorned with a pilgrim hat proudly announcing the upcoming entrance to the Mass Pike; we're almost there. My mind drifts to the unforgettable vision of cedar trees carefully embellishing the mountains. The scent of cedar haunts my nose as I return my focus to the highway as it whizzes by beneath us.

I'm counting down the mile markers now, anticipation steadily growing.
2 miles.
1.5 miles.
1 mile.
Into my vision comes a blue sign declaring that we have crossed the state line into Massachusetts.

My headlights bounce of leaves of scarlet and gold and the scent of cedar pours in through the open windows as if to officially welcome me home. A smile rips across my face; I look to my passenger and say. 'If we could freeze time, in this moment, I would be eternally the happiest person alive. ' I know this week will be too short; already I'm dreading the day we have to leave. There's no time to think of that now, I'm on a schedule, and I have to keep it.

An hour passes; soon we'll be departing from I 90 and making our way down 146 South toward Providence after finding exit 10A. We've passed Old Sturbridge Village, where I went on many school field trips as a child, coming up on the left is Auburn Mall, I remember when they constructed the addition to allow for Filene's to move in; the mall that used to be so tiny, is now monstrous.
With the morning grays now in full effect you can truly see the beauty of a New England morning. We pass the famous Tony's Pizza and the shops at Blackstone Valley and get off the highway at Main Street (Manchaug/Whitinsville, naturally). Though I was to immediately turn left it's only 6, I have an hour to kill and it won't take me long to get the key to the cabin from my Aunt, so I turn right, toward the town that welcomed me home as an infant.

Already the Bakers are taking their morning walk along the side of the road, as they've done for as long as I can remember. I sound my horn and throw a hand out the window at them, their eyes brighten and they wave with a smile on both their faces. Manchaug is a mill town; there isn't much that time has touched here. A few business names have changed as properties have changed hands, but aside from that, this place is timeless.

We stop, quickly, at my Aunt's house, pick up the key to the cabin and hit the road heading back toward the highway. Under the overpass for 146 and toward Whitinsville; the town that made me who I am today. It's 6:30; just enough time to run to William's for coffee before making our final stop before finally checking in.

Main Street becomes Church Street. We drive past the lot that used to house the duplex where I spent my most memorable years, now an extension of UniBank resides there. We go through the light at Aubuchon's hardware and turn right into the empty parking lot of William's about a mile later.

Barb is still behind the counter with her curly red hair and the plastic framed glasses that she's probably worn for the past decade. The bell on the door rings as I pull it open.

'Well, when did you get into town?'
'About half an hour ago,' I say with a smile.
'Still dinking the same thing?' I nod. 'Large vanilla, regular, iced; if memory serves me right.'
'That's right Barb.' I giggle at the notion that she remembered after 7 years what I used to order every morning when I was 14.
'How long are you here?'
'Only a week, but soon, it will be permanent, I promise.'
'You'll tell your mom I said hi and that you're all greatly missed around here won't you?'
'Of course I will, but now, I have someone that I need to surprise, I'll be in later; I'm sure.'

Out the door and back up Church Street to the only thing that has been a huge change in this area; the Super Wal Mart they've added just before 146.

Ten 'til 7 we make a right into the parking lot; you'll be out soon. Shades of pink and violet paint the horizon and most of the sky. I get out and sit on the hood of my car; coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other. I watch as vibrant colors take over the remainder of the morning grays. I parked right next to your truck; I know you'll see me the minute you walk out.

I hear the front doors of the building slide open, look back to them, and there you are; a look of shock on your face that is more priceless than the rest of this journey. You walk over to me, all words having left you momentarily; I throw my arms around your neck and lean back to look into your eyes. They still have that same brightness that I've missed so dearly. Barely audible, but still incredibly clear, two words pour from your mouth;

'You're home.’

© 2010 Brighid an Lasair


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very, very discriptive! Beautifully done. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010

Author

Brighid an Lasair
Brighid an Lasair

Myrtle Beach, SC



About
Just a few facts about me: I grew up just outside of Boston, I absolutely adore it, even now. I'm a huge fan of the arts in general. Many of my pieces were written in 24 hours diners over cu.. more..

Writing