The Zoo

The Zoo

A Story by Skai Rain
"

I am cow. Hear me moo. I weigh twice as much as you.

"

The Zoo


 

  Adelaide awoke to another chilling day. It was not chilling because of the weather, but because of the every day humiliation she had to endure. The weather, of course, was freezing too on this new planet she had been locked away on. There was once a fire that lit up the cage and managed to keep her and her only companion warm on the outside; but the people outside the bars were still as frozen as always. The fire died more and more along with her spirit. To this day, the fire had yet to be lit once more. A plant similar to hay was placed below her for bedding. Adelaide would only leave this small building when the crowd had disappeared. This hiding was pointless, though. A camera had been placed into the shelter so the people could watch her every movement. There was no privacy. They could see when she slept, ate, and urinated. Every move she made was sold of entertainment. As was her hope and happiness.


  It was just four months ago that NASA had announced that life had been found on another planet. They said it was to be kept top secret, but their top astronauts would be lucky enough to travel to the Ice Planet. They were to gather information, and possibly a specimen for the scientists to study back home. The human race wanted to know how these creatures managed to live when their bodies were made solely of ice. However, the moment the creatures saw them, they were astounded by our species. We were locked away in a strange facility where we were tested on for a month. Finally, we were let loose... only to be caged.


  Adelaide peaked outside the small wooden shelter which was the only luxury the two people were given. Her only friend, Paul, was standing in front of the large group of cold creatures that gawked at him. Paul was skinny like Adelaide, not nearly enough nutrition was given up to them since they had been on the Ice Planet. He lifted his arm and presented his middle finger to the crowd.


  A loud, "Aw!" emerged from the group who obviously did not know what it meant. None of these creatures knew our human language. Paul and I knew the language because as we were prepped to arrive on this planet, we are also prepped on the tongue these creatures spoke. As we arrived in our first town the small people that looked to be carved of ice captured the three of us. Amy, our third companion was killed for experimentation. After all, they only needed two people of the opposing gender to continue on the species. As if we would actually make love in front of all the gawking eyes.






  Finally, the sky had turned from black to bright and the crowds were all hustled away back to their homes. To their loving families like the one Adelaide used to have. She finally felt safe enough to emerge from the shelter and approach her only companion.


  "I can't take this anymore," his brown eyes swelled with tears. Just another thing the creatures on this planet found cute. "The humiliation... I need to get out of here."


   "How are you going to do that?" she asked. The bars were tall and tight; he would never be able to slip through or jump over.


   "Just watch," he told her.


   Adelaide stared intently while he ran up to the bars. Paul's hands grabbed two of them tightly as he pulled himself up. His feet would press between the metal, giving him the strength to continue his climbing. Eventually he made it to the top and Adelaide wondered to herself if he was going to slide down one of the poles before he rapidly leaped from the top. His body slammed itself into the icy ground and his leg bone dislodge itself and pop out of his skin. Adelaide averted her eyes and the horrid sight.


   He screamed as loud as Amy did when they took her away. Adelaide forced herself to bring herself to her friend. She gasped and ran to his side. Well, as close as she could get to his side before the bars intercepted my path.


   The building doors began to open up and the creatures yelled for his capture before grabbing nets and racing to the injured animal. Paul's eyes widened with panic. Still screaming, he began to run, as well as fall, to freedom. Whichever way that was, he did not know.


   "He is running! Get the guns!" A creature yelled as another one pounced on him with a net.


   "Hell, no!" Paul yelped as he shoved the man off.


   He pulled himself to his feet again until the creature grabbed onto his shin to pull him back down. Paul looked down at him with hate and lifted his arm to strike.


   "Look out!" A creature screamed.


  With that, a large explosion sounded in the distance to be followed by a large explosion of blood as a bullet the size of an apple shredded itself through my friends skull. The commotion began to die down outside the bars, while inside all Adelaide could do was let the tears stream down her face like a waterfall. A pit took its official place in Adelaide's throat. Now she was truly alone. It would not be a second later when she would become just as cold as the ice men outside.


  "The bloodthirsty animal," one of the creatures helped the one by Paul's dead body off the ground.


  "It did not have to come to this..." he looked down with sorrow.


  The ice man placed his hand on his co-workers shoulder, "Do not feel bad. They are not like us. They have no consciousness. This was not quite the loss that you would be if we did not shoot."

  



  Adelaide did not sleep that night. She was a zombie in the walls of the tiny shelter she was so sick of looking at. When commotion stirred outside the exhibit she felt the pull at her heart once again. This was the first day Paul was not there to flip the people off. No one had even gotten to bury him, but there was one thing Adelaide could do for his memory. For the first time, she forced herself to her feet and trudged outside the small wooden shelter. Her head hung low as she approached the people gathering around the bars. The people who had ripped her away from everything she loved. Had taken away her only companions, and all her self-respect. And maybe, just like they wanted, her consciousness was ready to be taken away too. Like Paul the day before, I lifted my finger to these people. To the world. To life.


  "Awe!" The people yelled as she glared at them.


  A small ice child outside the enclosure pulled on the dress of his mother.


  "Is it happy in there, mommy?" It asked.


  "Of course. Look at this one saying hello to us," she patted his head. "She will live twice as long here where we can watch her than she would in the wild."


   To this notion, all Adelaide could think was... why would I want to be alive when there lacked a purpose for living?

© 2014 Skai Rain


Author's Note

Skai Rain
This was written quick so my apologies for the mistakes. It's been an idea I had since I was very little. It was why, as a kid, I hated zoos.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This story completely stirred me. It is a brilliant peace of writing and is quite hits the nail against every notion of superiority of mankind. We have no right to cage animals as we can not see ourselves in the same position. Gives a tight slap on the face of readers. I am a big fan of such turn table writing. I am going to share this with some of my friends.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Aw. thank you for your kind words! I was worried I would get a lot of backlash for this story but I .. read more



Reviews

That's a pretty writing, Brittania

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

The fact that you know my full name scares the crap out of me lol
This story completely stirred me. It is a brilliant peace of writing and is quite hits the nail against every notion of superiority of mankind. We have no right to cage animals as we can not see ourselves in the same position. Gives a tight slap on the face of readers. I am a big fan of such turn table writing. I am going to share this with some of my friends.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Aw. thank you for your kind words! I was worried I would get a lot of backlash for this story but I .. read more
Your concept is really good, with a message and cruel humans who just don't give a damn other than their profit... keep writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


a good story.
enjoyed it.
keep writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You make your point well without dancing around your feelings. I like it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is very interesting and entertaining as well, I really enjoyed reading this story!
thank you for sharing :P

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

No. Thank you for giving it your time to read.
Excellent story! Really enjoyed this, great work :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
Jamie

9 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
Very good story, quite interesting and enjoyable. Well done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
good story line for such a short story. nice perspective and well framed. good work here!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Thank you, my friend.
I think it's a strong idea. The mistakes are minor, needs a good comb over for grammar. Mostly things like and instead of "of" and commas to break up clauses etc.
this sentence is particularly confusing:
As we arrived in our first town the small people that looked to be carved of us captured the three of us. Not sure what that means.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Skai Rain

9 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing these out to me. I wrote the story in a rush, I will be sure to comb through .. read more
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

No problem. The idea is solid -- sort of a "Planet of the Apes" with a twist.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

994 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2014
Last Updated on December 10, 2014
Tags: Aliens, Zoo, Cold, Philosophy

Author

Skai Rain
Skai Rain

Canada



About
My name is Brit and I've been writing since I was about eleven. My skill still isn't magnificent, but that's why I have come to this site. So please give me as much support as you can and I shall do .. more..

Writing
For Love For Love

A Poem by Skai Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..