Chapter 4: Games Commence

Chapter 4: Games Commence

A Chapter by Brittaney
"

Rhiamon bit back a gasp as the man smiled at her. �What do you want?

"
Rhiamon bit back a gasp as the man smiled at her. “What do you want?

Her voice was on the verge of desperation. Why couldn’t they just leave her alone? What had Rhiamon done to receive this curse of other world communication? She didn’t want any of this! Rhiamon wanted a normal life.

“A lesson,” the man grinned and stepped closer.

The air around her cooled quickly; it prickled at her skin. Rhiamon reached out, wanting to reassure her mind that he wasn’t real. A ghostly hand lashed out and gripped her wrist tight. A quiet scream escaped her lips as she was dragged close. They had never been able to touch her before.

Soft kind features faded away into a sharp and evil incarnate. Teeth flashed and Rhiamon recognized him as Kinalf’s right hand man. “Wh... wha… what do you want?”

Sharp nails bit into her skin and Rhiamon cried out in pain. She whimpered as he chuckled into her eyes. “Nothing is as it seems Rhiamon.” He looked past her to Jasper, who hadn’t heard a thing. “Surface appearances shouldn’t be trusted.”

Red liquid dripped down her arm and onto the earth, seeping into the dirt. A loud crack echoed as the demon gave her wrist a twist. “Please,” she begged.

“Let the games begin.” Mouth opened, he began to descend to her neck. “And I get first move.”

Rhiamon closed her eyes tight, waiting for the pain to come. But it never did. A shout filled her senses and she was released. Silver blue optics opened to find a bright yellow light stabbed through the demon. It screamed in agony, trying to pull the blade of light from its body. However each time he grabbed the hilt, his skin was burned.

“Rhia, get to the house.” Hank barked and grabbed her by her collar, hoisting her to her feet.

“Hank?”

“I said go!” Hank pushed her towards the house and raced behind her.

The demon finally pulled the blade from his body and growled. It healed quickly, but the air still smelled of burnt flesh. “You broke the rules Omorthan. They will come for you.”

Hank turned and watched the demon disappear in a swirl of brimstone and smoke. He didn’t think it had begun so soon. Sure he had been feeling the vibrations for months already, but now? None of his connections warned him that the games had begun. Could the rules be keeping his kin silent? If so, how was he to survive without their council? How would his charges survive with out help?

Turning from the site that the demon disappeared from, Hank followed Rhiamon into the house and found her in the kitchen tending to her wound. “You need to clean it.”

“I know,” Rhiamon felt like collapsing. She felt like lashing out. Damn it, she was so confused and had no idea what the hell was going on, she didn't know what she felt like doing.

Hank shook his head. No she didn’t know. But first, he had to bring the boys in from the fields. “Jasper,” he called into the walky talky. Rhiamon turned from the sink and narrowed her eyes at him.

“Yo,” the boy answered.

“Call it a day,” Hank replied smirking at Rhiamon’s expression. Had something happened between the two?

“Its not even noon yet, boss man won’t be happy.”

“I don’t care if that boy is happy. Get both your asses into the house now.” Hank bit back the anger. Now was not the time.

“Fine.”

Hank put away the communication device and turned his attention back to the little witch in front of him. He could see the emotion bubbling just below those silver blue eyes of hers. “You have to clean those wounds.” He repeated and walked over to her. Opening a cupboard behind her, he pushed some cups aside and touched the back. The wood sprung aside to reveal a number of oddly colored bottle liquids.

Rhiamon’s jaw dropped as the wood seemed to disappear. What the hell was going on? When he grabbed her hand, she pulled out of his grasp and stepped back. “What the f**k was that? What did you do to it? Who are you?”

Before Hank could answer, Jasper and Cadeyrn entered the house, ready to complain about calling it quits. But both boys saw the blood on Rhiamon's wounds and all protests stopped. “Rhiamon, what happen?”

Cadeyrn rushed forward and grabbed her hand. Grabbing a rag from the counter, he pressed it against her injury.

“I… I don’t know.” She looked to Hank.

Jasper approached the kitchen slowly. The sight of her  blood had caused him to pale and have a sinking feeling in his gut. He leaned against the wall, trying to pull off the cool and unattached look.

“She needs to clean it,” Hank replied and took her hand from Cadeyrn. He pulled the cloth away and uncapped a clear liquid. “Holy water,” he muttered before pouring the contents into the wound.

Fire erupted in her arm and tears welled in her eyes. The water hit her wound and it hurt like a son-of-a-b***h. Rhiamon had to bite her lip to keep from crying out. It just didn’t make sense. There was no reason for water, holy or not, to make the cuts feel like fire. When he finally released her, Rhiamon pulled her hand to breast and cradled it. “Hank…”

The man was no longer looking at her. Instead, he was looking past her to the front door. Everyone turned to find two figures standing in the doorway. One male, one female, both with sword sheathes at their hips. The female had the look of an Amazon about her. Not so much in build, but clothing and the look in her eyes. She made everyone think of Xena Warrior Princess. The male looked more ductile. He didn’t have the warrior aura, but you could tell he could pack a punch when needed.

“Who are you and what are you doing in my house?” Cadeyrn forced himself not to yell. Stepping forward, he put a hand on his gun and readied to shoot them if need be. Their sheathed swords concerned him.

“I think the prince is worried about us brother,” the girl smiled and cocked her head to the side. Her hand rested on the hilt of her sword as she looked over the challenge.

The male shook his head and placed a hand on the girl’s arm. “Steady Adara.”

Jasper recognized the two quickly and grabbed Cadeyrn, pulling his hand from the gun. “You will have to excuse him my lord and lady. He does not know of proper customs. He is untrained, as is the witch.”

Cadeyrn shrugged Jasper off and continued to glare at the intruders. “Someone tell me what the f**k is going on or bullets will be flying.”

The male threw back his head and laughed. “You are so much like your father and those that came before you young prince. Let me introduce ourselves. I am Luken and this is my sister Adara. We are here to pass judgment on Omorthan. He knew we’d be coming.”

Rhiamon realized who they were talking about when Luken looked right at Hank. “Hank, what’s going on?”

“Just as Lord Luken said,” Hank finally spoke and stepped forward. Pushing Cadeyrn back, he knelt down on one knee and hung his head. “My Lady and Lord, I ask that you spare me. My charges need me, they are untrained and unknowledgeable. To take me would upset the balance, giving Kinalf an undefeatable advantage.”

Adara unsheathed her sword, a wicked gleam in her eyes. It was a long blade that shouldn’t have fit in the sheath. The edge was ragged and sharp, black as night and stained red with the souls encased within. “Omorthan you broke the rules and interfered. You know your sentence and must accept it.”

Sword raised high as the owner smirked. “The rules were clear.” She swung.


© 2008 Brittaney


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Bravo! Very well done! I hope there is more to this story! Let me know!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 7, 2008


Author

Brittaney
Brittaney

Corpus Christi, TX



About
Hi, my names Brittaney. Im twenty-two years old. My dream is to one day be published and become a well known author. My target audience is late teen early twenty's. Mostly people that want to read.. more..

Writing