DF Ch 23

DF Ch 23

A Chapter by Brittaney

Previous Version
This is a previous version of DF Ch 23.



The girl stumbled again, catching herself on a light pole. Leaning against it she glared at the couple, trying to make her eyes focus. “I… I know y…hic…ou.”

 

She shook her head, failing to clear it. It had been a long time since it was last clear, but that didn’t matter anymore. She had fought, can fight, and will continue to fight until the day she died, drunk or not. “Oh well. It… it… damn.”

 

Giving up, she pushed from the pole and crouched low. Fists formed high and ready, even if they were waving uncontrollably.

 

Zane couldn’t believe this. Every time he tried to get some private time with Kalina, someone came along and interrupted them. How could he get the girl to fall in love with him if they were never alone? It was proving rather annoying. Eyes narrowed as he watched the drunk, unsure of just how dangerous this could be. “Lina, do you know this woman?”

 

Kalina was uncertain on how to answer that. She knew Brianna, the strong unforgiving b***h of a coven sister. This person was nothing like the sister she had come to love and find pride in. “It’s complicated. I think she’s the missing element.”

 

Turning from Zane, Kalina stepped forward slightly and put her hands in the air. “There’s no need to fight anyone. He means no harm.”

 

“No… you don’t un…hic…dershtand. He’sh not what you think he ish.” She shook her head violently, accenting the no. “Shtep… shtep back, I will defend your honor.”

 

“You don’t need to do that.” Kalina tried to explain, not wanting to get anyone hurt.

 

Zane shook his head and put a hand on Kalina’s shoulder. “There’s no negotiating with the drunk. She won’t touch me, trust me.” He flashed her a smile and stepped forward. Looking into the drunk’s eyes, he offered her a fight. “Go right ahead Blondie.”

 

The girl only smirked before stepping into the fight. There was a blur of motion as her fist swung, a hairs breath away from Zane’s chin. The vampire’s eyes widened, shocked on just how close she was to hitting him. From that moment on, Zane didn’t underestimate her. Slipping into vampire speed, he dodged and blocked every one of her kicks and punches.

 

To Kalina it was nothing but blurred motion. Her sight wasn’t use to the speed behind this fight. Hell, it had only been a month since she began her own training and she didn’t move anywhere near that velocity. Then she heard a groan and watched Zane stumble back. Air had landed a kick right in the middle of the vampire’s gut, a look of satisfaction on her face.

 

“Who the f**k are you?” Zane growled, controlling the more feral of his being. It was blood lust season and therefore harder to control, but it needed done. He wouldn’t kill one of the five elements, dooming the world.

 

The girl stumbled a bit, but quickly recovered her balance. “Ma…Marcella. Rem…hic…ember it vampire, for I will k…hic…ill you.”

 

Marcella waved her left hand in the hair before clenching it. Out of the air appeared metal knuckles, one inch spikes on each knuckle. Right foot circled around her before she charged in a blur, hand heading for Zane’s chin once more. He pulled back, avoiding most of the blow. However the tips of the spikes grazed his cheek, burning the skin.

 

Jumping back, Zane hissed loudly. Face contorted and fangs barred as eyes turned deep red. Marcella’s weapon was pure silver and burned right through Zane’s skin. The pain brought out the inner monster so fast there was no hope of stopping it.

 

Kalina recognized the danger and lashed out with her powers. “No!” her voice and magic screamed, throwing them both ten feet. “Gerth stwaurt po vermis qe detu.” The Wiccan language flowed without thought, locking them in place. Both tried to get up, Marcella mumbling her own words under her breath, but her magic proved too much.

 

Turning to Marcella, eyes connected and Kalina sighed. There was so much in the girl’s eyes but it was clouded by the drink. “Frithu,” her voice was low and rang with the power behind it. Kalina watched as Marcella’s eyes grew heavy and she fell fast asleep.

 

Turning back to Zane, she walked over slowly and watched the vampire struggle, both against the restraints and him self. “Detu Zane, detu.” Hands stretched out, just beyond his reach, as Kalina tried to calm him down. She knew better than to approach a vampire in frenzy.

 

Zane had no idea what she was saying. He was still dazed from the magic and the entire situation. However he felt a calm spread through his body, stilling the beast. It took a few minutes but Zane came back into himself. The fangs disappeared, eyes and face returned to normal, and he no longer looked through a blood hazed sight. “Wh…what are you saying? I don’t understand.”

 

When he finally calmed, the invisible restraints disappeared and Kalina approached. “How could you not understand? I was speaking English.”

 

“No you weren’t,” Zane hissed in pain as her hand touched his face. The cuts the silvered made still stung and smoked slightly. He’d be fine soon, it just took longer to heal from silver and holy inflicted items than anything else. “You were speaking gibberish.”

 

Thinking back, Kalina realized what had happened. In her concern and anger, she had switched to the old Wiccan language. It was a language long dead and only remembered by the eldest of souls. But spells spoken in the language were more powerful and unbreakable than spells spoken in any other tongue. “Sorry, I just…” she shook the explanation off. For him to fully understand, she had to tell him a lot. “I said ‘Put down your weapons and still’ the first time. Then I told her to sleep and you ‘still Zane, still.’”

 

Zane blinked, now understanding where the calm came from. She had given it to him. “I’m sorry; you shouldn’t have had to do that. But, she was faster and stronger than I thought. Then she brought out…”

 

This time it was Kalina that silenced him and shook her head. “If anyone should apologize it should be me. I kinda knew what she could do. But that’s a long story. We’ve got to get her somewhere safe and I’ve got to call a meeting. Air finally came to us and its time to get things moving.”

 

Zane wanted to hear that story. It might reveal some of the secrets hidden deep inside her and might give him some understanding. However, now was not the time. Kalina was right, they needed to get the little warrior somewhere she could sleep it off and then…

 

The vampire’s mind froze. The last of the elements arrived and now there was no stopping Kalina. He knew that she would face some challenges. After all, what kind of god wouldn’t try to stop the one’s keeping him locked up? From here on in, danger would lurk around every corner. It scared him.

 

Feeling an overwhelmed by it all, Zane wrapped his arms tight around Kalina and held her close. Lips caressed her hair and he breathed in her scent. He wanted nothing less than to hold this moment forever, to never let her go. He had to though. Not because she had to go home or because she needed to see friends, but for the fate of the world. It didn’t help that she had no idea what truly lay ahead of her.

 

Kalina would have pushed him away with a smile. However there was something in this hug, in his touch, that made her still. Holding him right back, Kalina closed her eyes and allowed herself to melt. Nothing mattered but his arms around her. For the next few moments, nothing existed but them too.

 

Lips parted and Zane almost spilt it. The love in his heart had become too much to bear alone and he wanted to share. But eyes opened and fell upon the sleeping girl, reality crashing in on him. Kalina had no time for love, especially with a vampire. “Go get your coven members; I know a place we can take her.”

 

Kalina brushed her lips against his, thanking him silently. Knowing Marcella wouldn’t wake up for a long time, she left him to stand guard. And though no words were exchanged, Kalina knew everything had changed in this one night. No longer could anything remain the same and it was time she learned where she was going. Tomorrow, Kalina decided, she would visit Careen’s mother and demand her answers.

 



© 2008 Brittaney


Author's Note

Brittaney
My first attempt at writing a drunk person. Tell me how I did.



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4 Views
Added on November 20, 2008


Author

Brittaney
Brittaney

Corpus Christi, TX



About
Hi, my names Brittaney. Im twenty-two years old. My dream is to one day be published and become a well known author. My target audience is late teen early twenty's. Mostly people that want to read.. more..

Writing