XI. (passer domesticus)

XI. (passer domesticus)

A Chapter by Brittany

 

 

Giant Springs.

 

The clouds were so low that day. Their shadows painted the hills and the beetle-kill trees. 'Calico' I kept thinking to myself. I watched as my friends wandered further and further up the trail, stopping and stooping every so often. They were on a mission called "artistic expression" and they were hunting for photographs. I refused the camera they pushed at me. Refused an explanation as to why I didn't feel like expressing myself. In truth, I myself couldn't have known. Instead, I parked myself on a public bench. I sat and looked at the water, the calico hills, the bird s**t on the concrete. I sat and I felt nothing other than the interesting realization that none of this I would take a picture of. None of it seemed worth it to me.

 

"Hey, down here!"  I could hear them call to me. And, "Come look at this!"

 

I hesitated and finally got off the bench I'd grown so fond of. Slowly made my way down the same trail, further and further away from the water. I passed by two teenage girls. Both with a baby on the hip, both with a baby in the belly. They were sharing a cigarette. One girl wore teal, head-to-toe. This bugged me more than anything.

 

I sighed and lit a cigarette of my own. Caught up to my eager, camera-toting friends. They were taking pictures of flowers. Yellow. "Close up they look like devil faces", they told me. Behind them was a large wall. Looming. 'How do they not see this?' I thought. All over the wall front were strategic nests. Sediment bulbs like acne on the great face.

 

I watched as a sparrow perched on the mouth of a nest. One sparrow, amongst all the empty nests. And my friends kept shooting flowers.

 

 



© 2010 Brittany


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I passed by two teenage girls. Both with a baby on the hip, both with a baby in the belly. They were sharing a cigarette. One girl wore teal, head-to-toe. This bugged me more than anything." -- this scene is particularly brilliant. You impress me thoroughly.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2010
Last Updated on June 14, 2010


Author

Brittany
Brittany

MT



About
I don't know me. And, you don't know you. We fit so good together 'cause I know you like I know myself. more..

Writing