Chapter 5 Where are we going?

Chapter 5 Where are we going?

A Story by Bruce58
"

Eric and Glen still with the Vikings

"

Chapter 5

     




  written by Bruce58   08-01-2010





          

        I felt the boat sliding to the top and it was getting dark with the hand of water ready to smash down upon us. Thor was still standing on that thrown calling out. AGEAEON!” do your best.” As the hand came down hard, it felt as though something heavy was knocking me to the floor. I grabbed a steel ring bolted down on wood.

    When we past through, I looked to see if Glen had survived. He was still hanging on to that bench, with his arms completely around. “Glen, are you alright?” I asked. He said yes, but the two men sitting in front of him were picked up. That hand just reached in, and picked them right up.

    Thor was yelling, “Is That All You Have.” HO, HO. “It’s Good That You Had Given Me Two Strong Men To Replace The Ones Gone!” “Row Men, Let Us Leave This Storm Behind”. Once again, the voice from above shouted down. “Thor, Thor Go Home To Your People”. With that, he raised up his mighty hammer saying. “Hear This; My People Need No One!” Once again, shooting lightning to the skies above.

    We rowed in timing with all are might to words, “Row, Row.” I was looking at Glen now. He had a stare of fright. His vision was fixed on Thor. I could see the sea behind him. Moving up and down with each wave and throwing us from side to side.

    I was also timing my rowing and thinking. What had it been the two of us taken from this boat? None would have ever known. We would have died, and are families would never know how.

    We were still rowing when the sun came up. I wanted to see what we got into. Glen was still rowing, but with his eyes closed now. The boat was not a ship and not a boat. It was bigger then a boat I thought with a pole sticking up in the middle. It has a bottom deck and we were on the top deck rowing threw, what I call row holes.

    Thor; now shouted. “Sif!” The three of you get out from under that blanket and bail. The bottom deck is getting flooded. I was watching. Sif, Thor’s wife climbed out first, then Widsith, Thor’s son and Thrud his daughter. Not saying a word opened a heavy hatch to below. I watched them bring buckets with water and throw it overboard.

    Rowing most of the next day. The ocean finally calmed and the waves just rolled gently. “All men raise the sail.” Thor shouted. Glad to be standing again. The sail was in a long locker in the center. We clipped ropes along the top edge pulling at the other end. A red and orange stripped sail started lifting and flapping in the wind.

    All the way to the top now, we clipped metal rings to the bottom. The wind now had the chance to grab it, pulling tightly. I could fell the boat moving faster now. I was glad we were not the ones making it move.

    Glen and I have the chance to walk around to see where we were. Glen said. “Why did we have to down that hole.” I want to go home!”  “Saying, so do I.” Widsith was filling oil lamps when I found him. He was about the same age as we are. “Widsith” I said like knew him. “Where are we?” He looked at me and said. “We had to run from my village two days ago.” Nevertheless, I cannot talk now; there is work to do.

    We were new on this boat; in fact, the biggest boat I had ever been on was a rowboat left at the lake one time. I wanted to see the stern, and who was steering this boat. Glen said he was tired and wanted to sit and rest. He looked at me, and then said. “I wish there was somewhere to sleep”.                                The back had a man holding a long pole. I greeted him first by saying,” Hi”. I could see he was watching the horizon and not wanting to talk. “My names Eric” I told him.

    He finally said, my birth name is Ullr. I am from Scandinavia and the Coxswain on this boat. “Go away man named Eric.” “No wait; get me a cup of Nabidh.” It should be ready for drinking. “Where do I find this drink?” I said. Down below, he said loudly. “Where else would it be. Now go.”

    Not wanting him any angrier. I did not say anything else and went to find this drink called Nabidh. Widsith was finishing with the oil. So I said. “Widsith, can you tell me where I might find some Nabidh.” Yes, it is below, “I’ll show you.” Widsith walked to the open hatch and climbed down. Following him he was telling me, they made it ten days ago and that it would be ready.

    It was dark below, lit with lanterns hanging. The lanterns were hooked on wires from the center of the boat. Swaying with the waves, sending shadows up then down. “Here it is”. Widsith said.

    My father is said to make the best. “Try some,” he said. He handed me a small cup from the wall, then filled it with the liquid. “O it’s sweet,” I said. “It will get you drunk if you drink enough.” Widsith was saying as he was getting one for himself.  Now take this up to Ullr. He gets angry quickly. “I’ve seen it before.” Widsith said.

    Walking towards Ullr I could feel the alcohol. It was stronger then the beer dad let me have. He would say, “you can have one and no more.” I held the cup towards Ullr. He said, “I see you’ve tried Thor’s Nabidh”. It is in your eyes. I love this drink, but Thor says the Coxswain can only have one.

    Eric wanted to see that hammer. Where he was sitting it looked like the one in the museum. As he was walking to the front of the boat; he saw men sleeping on the floor, or in the benches the rowed from. “There are about 30 men.” He thought to himself. Sif; Thor’s wife stopped him and said. “Don’t go up there; Thor needs to keep an eye on the water.”

   “There’s gods that want to end this travel.” She made the comment. I asked why they wanted us dead. Nevertheless, all she said was. “Thor did something in the village.”

    The boat was being heaved, up, down and sideways in the heavy waves. I could here the wind pushing around the sail. It had a growling noise with the air escaping the edges.

    “Land; lower the sail.” Thor shouted. “All men get to your ores.” He ordered. We were lowering the sail when a wave reaching as high as the mast rose; blocking the boat. The woman’s image formed once again. “AGEAEON!” Thor shouted.

    Go back and return, this is your last warning! You will be put onto the rocks and all parishes.” She said. Thor laughed and said. “I’ve received the best Coxswain, and he will win us passage.”

    As the sail was going down, we sat to the benches rowing. There was no water to row in. We were sitting high on a mountain of water; AGEAEON had placed under the boat. “Ullr.” Thor shouted. “Steer us to my left away from the rocks.” “Quickly.”

    We turned left brushing along the rocks on are right. The sound was of scraping, splintering wood. Thor was yelling. “Thank you AGEAEON God of waves.” “The wave pushes us, and we’ll hit land in no time.”

    The boat going straight towards the beach, hit sand hard. Plowing to a slowing stop. When the boat hit land, Thor jumped off; and said. “This is my land now, your land men.” 

        “Men mount the ropes to the Knarr and throw them over!” The men attached the ropes to metal rings. The rings bolted to the floor and rail. I looked down and thought. “That’s what I grabbed when Ageaeon slammed her hand of water upon us.”

    Thor; standing in front on the sand. His hands high in the air, holding that hammer, bellowed. “Jump to land and pull my boat out. Ageaeon will be back, finishing what she has started.”

    Everyone jumped over the side holding one rope each. Glen finally talking again, said. “We better jump. I want to be on land again.” I looked over the side and told him, “No not here it’s too deep.” However, Glen wanted off and jumped into the waves. Following him, we swam towards shore. Each wave was pushing us closer to land.

    Widsith was first with his rope tight. His rope was looped around a carved head of a dragon. He was standing next to Thor holding his rope tight. Thor told Widsith. “We will pull together my son.” Thor, lowering his hammer, attaching it to a belt around his waist, started yelling, “pull.”

    We pulled that boat up the sand and to higher ground. Thor looked at Glen and me saying. “What has the gods sent me, two boys?” “You there. Cloths different and hair so short.” Where are you from and what do they call you?” Maymore.” Eric said, and my name is “Eric and this is Glen.” Thor looking down at us, said. “Well, Eric and Glen with covered sandals, you’ll do.

    

 

© 2010 Bruce58


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on August 1, 2010
Last Updated on August 5, 2010

Author

Bruce58
Bruce58

About
just want to write. I have a story and want it out. Rewrote chapter 1. Tell me what you think more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Bruce58


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Story by Bruce58