Chapter 6   I'll name this Vineland

Chapter 6 I'll name this Vineland

A Story by Bruce58

 Chapter 6 I’ll name this Vineland.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

     

 

    The men quickly got out the saws. They were long with one handle at each end. A two man saw. Eric thought. Thor said, “Cut everything above the rail, so we can turn her over. Eric asked Widsith. “Why do we want to turn the boat over?” He told me, that winter will be here and we need housing.

    Everything was out of the Knarr and piled away from the boat next to a big tree. The mast, floor and even that dragon, cut level with the rail. Small doors cut into the side rails now. “Save the wood.” Thor said. Ropes were tied to one side and everyone pulled the boat upside down.

    I was standing next to a man named Gorower. He started to laugh, telling me, we had to cover it with dirt now. “But how, we have no shovels.” Eric said. He just stood there looking at me and said. “You have two hands don’t you?” “You dig into the ground, and then throw it up to me. I will pack it to the roof.”

    Roof? I thought. Was a boat now a house? We had it finished in no time with everyone working together.                      “Glen, I said. “Let’s get something to drink.” We went to look for water in the woods, but could not find a stream with water. “I know where there’s something to drink. “Eric said. “Follow me.”

    Everyone was doing there own thing, so Glen and I went to the tree where we put everything from the boat. “Here this barrel.” Eric said. He recognized it from below deck. “There’s a really good juice in there.” He said. Eric found a cup and started to fill it. Thor saw us and said. “Not that barrel.” I stopped filling the cup, and then looked down into it. “What the!” I filled it half way with water. However, it had worms in the bottom of the cup.

    Dropping that cup, the water spilled out with the worms. I was watching the water disappearing into the ground. While the worm evaporated. I looked at Glen and said. “Did you see that?” No, I wasn’t watching, he said. “Where did the worms go.” I asked Thor, and he said, I think you have had enough. You must have had too much already.”

    Laughing he turned saying, it was a long journey and that he wanted meat. Come on I want you to join me. “In what?” Glen asked. Thor looked around at Glen and said. “It doesn’t matter. What matters is all I say.”  Then walked towards the house they had just put up.” “My moms like that too. She thinks every word is law.” Glen commented to Eric. “Ya mine to.” Eric added.

    When thy got back to the camp. Thor was looking around. “Oden, Jord, you’re my best marksmen. Get your bows so we can kill some meat.” Then he turned to us saying. “You two will be are scouts.”

    We started going into the high trees walking through thick brush. “You there.” Thor whispering. “Can’t you keep your steps quiet?” Let’s move a little slower.” Eric said. “Stop,” Glen said. Thor came closer and asked what the problem was. “Three leafs on one stem.” Thor silently laughed. “Are you afraid of a little rash?” He said. “Now keep moving, quietly if you can.”

    There was a small clearing ahead threw the trees. Eric walked slower, quieter watching for any movement. As he moved, he saw a deer head pop up. Its ears were standing straight up, turning in all directions. Then down again to eat. Eric pointed towards it, looking at Jord.

    Jord put an arrow in his bow, and then pulled back. Letting go of the string when the deer popped his head up. Zing was the sound the arrow made, and then a small smacking sound. Hit through the neck. Then zing again. From the other direction. Now there were two arrows sticking in the deer. One from the side we were on, one from the other side of the clearing.

    Thor now wanted to know where the other arrow came from. He walked up to the deer, and said. “How could that be? We are the only ones out here!”

    Then a man dressed only in a short wrap walked out. He stopped just past the trees. Standing tall with his bow in one hand, dropped to his side. Thor; watching every move he made. Finally, Thor open handed started beating his chest. Saying, “This is my kill.” The man looked down at the deer, and then walked back the same way he came in.

    “Boy’s carry this deer back to camp.” Thor said. Knowing he meant us. “We eat meat tonight.” When we carried the deer into camp Thor bellowed, “Sif, Thrud, start a fire and cook this meat,” “Odin, you clean that deer, I’m hungry.”

    Glen I said. “Did you see that man in the woods?” Glen was not thinking about the man. He was thinking how to get the deer blood off his hands. He thought of going to the beach to wash them off.  Ageaeon is down there. Would she drown me just because I am with Thor? “We need water.” Glen said. “Ya, but did you see the man who also shot that deer.” Eric a little more demanding. “What about him?” Glen said. “I’ve seen men like him in history.” Eric said.

    That’s the same looking man from American history. Even his bow and arrows. “Do you remember that bow Mr. Martin was cleaning?” “Ya so, it looked the same. So what?” Glen said. That man looked like an Indian, and I remember the Vikings landed in Vineland. Eric said. “We have to go home!”    

    “Home?” Glen looked up saying. “When can we go?” I want to go now! “Soon.” Eric said. First, I have to figure where home is. Glen wanted to go now! I told him we would get lost on the way there. “Let go back and get something to eat.” “I’ll have to find a compass first. Eric said. However, right now we need to eat. “I said we haven‘t eaten since yesterday.

     When we returned to the house, we had built. We could see everyone standing around the fire. “When are we going to eat?” “I want to tell a story.” Thor shouted. He told everyone to get a bench from inside the house.

    Glen and I went inside and returned with a bench each. In fact, we all wanted to eat and need a something to sit on. We watched Thor cut meat off that deer hanging over the fire, handing over big chunks to everyone.

    He said he wanted us all to know why we ran and landed here. “I’m going to start my story with a long time ago.” Thor said. When man was young and evil was running the world, there started a new god. His name was Orish. He ended the evil in spirit and let man make his own mistakes. The problem was Zeus could not do it by himself. Therefore, he brought up the spirit of Zeus.

    Man fought man now. The spirits residing over there world left, finding comfort in the center of the earth. The only porthole leading down into the hot spirit world is atop, Mt. Hekla in Iceland. The two barriers are two doors going down. The first was to hold the god Orish. Weaken of his power by the god Zeus. The second holding the evil spirits down below.

    Orish to weak to resist Zeus, let lose any evil, Zeus wanted. He had become the doorkeeper. The spirit world, stopped to one side, then the other. Once Orish had the evil locked between worlds, and Zeus was satisfied. He would open the door, letting lose the evil onto the above world. Sending firelights of molten rock and ash into the heavens above, raining to man below.  

    “Orish!” Zeus would shout from above. “Let Rigero out.” His power oversees war alongside man. He will show man how to become more powerful. With piece of mind, they have more power then there enemy.

    This hammer and glove were given from Zeus to me. You have all seen its powers and fear it. It can light the skies and go through anything with one throw. The hammer will return to the glove always.

    I had heard the legends of a kinder god. A more powerful god. I wanted to see him for myself. I traveled to Iceland to find him. Thor said he smashed the door atop Mt. Hekla with this mighty hammer. Orish, telling me of how the glow upon the walls keeping him prisoner. I jumped down to look for myself. As I hit the floor, my hammer started flying in a circle. Twirling like a mighty wind, rubbing those walls. Making the loud sound of a mighty hurricane. This hammer going faster and faster. Drawing us into the center of the room.  The swirling lights that held Orish prison now, drawn into the hammer landed beside my feet.

    “Thor.” Orish, telling Thor. “Zeus will find he cannot let more of the evil out. He needs the spirits below to finish his journey of rulings.” Orish saying, Zeus had tricked him into releasing his power. I have only the power of change left of time and earth.

    The god of Orish is in that barrel next to the tree. I am taking him to a place where as Zeus cannot find him. All that will come with me let us find that place. Others stay here and build another boat to return home.

    Eric thinking, this must be to the northeast, said. “Thor, I know such a place. It is to the southwest of here. By following the new star we will reach the place with two moons.” Getting dark, Thor looked towards the sky saying, yes I see it. We will leave at first light, drawing an arrow in the dirt. 

 

© 2010 Bruce58


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on August 5, 2010
Last Updated on August 10, 2010

Author

Bruce58
Bruce58

About
just want to write. I have a story and want it out. Rewrote chapter 1. Tell me what you think more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Bruce58


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Story by Bruce58