Chapter  7   the travel

Chapter 7 the travel

A Story by Bruce58

 Chapter  7   The Travel

 

 

 

 

     First light came and Thor’s men were building a wagon. We will need this to travel. Thor said. The men had taken parts from the boat we had sailed here. They cut wheels of wood, with a flat bed then mounted the special barrel by the tree. “What is going to pull the wagon?” Eric asked. “We do not even have a pig left.” Glen then said. Thor laughed; “saying whom, do you think is going to pull this wagon?”

   Whom? Eric and I looked at each other. “Ok, if it means getting home, then let’s do it.” Eric said. All Glen said was, “I want to go home.” In a very low voice. “Thor!” “Do we have a compass to use on this journey?” Eric asked. Thor started laughing again. “We need not a compass, just you and that star.” “Let us go see this place of hiding for my god.” After Thor said that, we started out in the direction of the arrow drawn on the ground, from the night before.  

    Eric, “do you think we can find home?” Glen asked. Eric replied. “I think I can find it when we get to the river.” “If I climbed the highest point in the valley, I can see Bear Mountain. “I’ll know where we are when we see it.” Ok, is all Glen said.

    It was a hard trip for all. Sif, Widsith, Thrud with two men Rawd and Grom, with Thor leading the way. The men had put handles on the wagon, for two. “Eric” Glen said. “This is heavy.” “What do you think Orish looks like?” Eric turned his head to and said. “I did see worms come out. Maybe he looks like a worm.”

    When we were going through the trees, it was easier then going across high grass. Rawd and Grom would push and we would pull. Thor would yell. “Don’t drop that barrel!” but in the trees, all we had to do was go around each one.

    About tree hours traveling, we ran into an open trail. “This way!” Thor called out. “Well at least it’s open. We can make time here and it’s going in the right direction.” Eric said. “I’m getting tired.” Glen said. Do you think Thor will stop sometime soon?” Eric lifted my shoulders and said that he did not know.

    The trail was going up then down hills. Going up, Rawd would push. Going down hill, Grom had tied a rope to the back of the wagon and he would hold it back. Going up one hill, still on the trail, Thor put his hand up. “Stop!” He said. Glen and l were tired anyway so we turned the wagon sideways. That way it would not roll down hill.

    I could smell smoke. “There a fire somewhere around here.” Eric said. I’m going up to look.” Then said. “Glen, maybe we should both go, but we had better put something under the wheels first. Glen looked at me saying. “That sounds good to me.”

    We walked to the top and stood next to Thor. “It’s An Indian camp!” Eric quietly said. Thor looked down at me and asked, “What are they like?” Eric looking up at Thor said. “I don’t really know, some were good and some bad.” What do you mean? Were?” Are they good or do I have to get rid of them?”

    Just then, five Indians walked past us. They went around and splitting up keeping an eye on us. No one heard them come up behind us. Quietly walking down to there camp, carrying three deer. “Friendly, I think.” Eric said. Thor said he did not want to hurt anyone today anyway. He said if he used the hammer lightning, that it would give Zeus his position.

    There are hills on both sides. With there camp in the middle. Thor said we should walk threw on the right. It had trees. This would make good covering. When we reached the bottom of the trail, an older man stopped us. He was dressed different then the rest.

    He started talking in there language shaking bones at us. Thor looked at Eric. “Do you know what this means?” He said. “No.” I said. “Everyone stand over by that tree.” Thor commanded. Eric thought Thor was going to do something bad to this man. However, all he did was go to the wagon.  Climbing up and opened the lid to the barrel. Talking into the opening, he reached in, getting a handful of water.

    “This will help.” He said. Now he walked over and held the wet hand out for the old man. Fearful, the old man started shaking those bones at him. Thor saying, “No” Holding his hand even closer to the old man. Then the old man touched Thor’s hand looking at him, as if. What do you mean?

    Thor finally said after a long pause. “We need food.” I am the chief of my people. My name is Tree Owl. The hunting here have been good to us. We have what you need. “Thank You.” Thor said. What kind of magic could this be? Glen asked Eric. Even I can understand that old Indian.  

    It was getting dark now. Eric looking for the new star found it and drew an arrow on the ground. He was thinking, in the morning they would have there way.

    The fire was burning high that night. The Indians were dancing in a circle around that fire. Everyone was eating having a good time. When Thor said, he wanted to know who there god was.

    He went to the wagon once more with a cup. Taking the lid off, he got water from inside the barrel. There was something mysteries about what he was doing.

    Thor poured the cup of water on the fire, with everyone watching. Thor raised his hammer towards the fire. The flames started growing high in the air. A boy about ten years old, walking towards the fire and then into the flames. Everyone was running around, yelling at him to get out! He stood in the middle not burning.

    The flame now started turning into a large round fireball above the boy’s head. The flame, not round but a head of a man. The flaming head, held there above the boy, by four-swerling tournedos like arms. The swirling flames on the outside of the fire to the head.

    Everyone gathered to the front of the face. Watching to see what was happening. The boy was standing straight up. With flames all around and eyes open. Everyone was silent. Not even the fire noise. Just silence!

    Then the eyes opened to the fired face. “You are my people. What have you done?” The mouth to the flame was moving. However, it was the boy doing the yelling. “My lord, where have you been?” The chief said, as he was bowing in front. “You are my god Orish. We wait for your return.” You left my people and me to battle other tribes. Evil spirits stand aside Zeus now. Please help us!”

    “I will return to my people.” Orish said once more. Shrinking into the fire, the face was no more. The boy closed his eyes as he walked out and to his family. The boy’s father put a blanket around him, thinking the boy might be hurt. However, there was nothing burnt, not even his cloths. “Do you remember what Orish had told us?” The chief asked the boy. “Who’s Orish and why is everyone looking at me?” he said. 

    The chief started dancing, saying loudly. “This is a great day for all. The god Orish has returned to us.” We will help you on your journey past are camp. I will send my two best men with you. They are good hunters and you will not go hungry. The chief said. Now you must rest and leave in the morning. He added.

    “I think were safe here tonight.” Eric said to Glen. “Let’s get some sleep. Tomorrow we should reach the river.” Eric said. Glen asked the father of the boy from the fire. “Where can we sleep tonight?” He pointed to a teepee near the fire and said there. Saying it will keep you worm in the night.

    In the morning when Eric and Glen woke, walking out of the teepee, found the fire down to the coals with just smoke. The chief talking to Thor, saying he had sent three men ahead. The men are good fighters. They will help you get to where you are going.    “But beware.” Some will not want you to make your destination. “Now go.” The chief said. 

    Thor looked at us, and then asked. “What direction?” Looking at the arrow on the ground Eric said. “That way, opposite the way we came in.” Eric was pointing to a path, on the other side of camp. Thor laughed, then said. “OK, grab the wagon and let us go.”

   

 

    

© 2010 Bruce58


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
Added on August 10, 2010
Last Updated on August 24, 2010

Author

Bruce58
Bruce58

About
just want to write. I have a story and want it out. Rewrote chapter 1. Tell me what you think more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Bruce58


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Story by Bruce58