Chapter  8  The River

Chapter 8 The River

A Story by Bruce58

 

Chapter   8   the River

 

 

 

 

 

    Eric and Glen each grabbed a handle to the wagon with Rawd pushing to start them off. “How long do you think it will take for the river?” Glen asked Eric. “I don’t really know. I think were in Massachusetts right now.” Eric said. “Maybe tomorrow or the next day.” He added.

 

    We walked all day with the path under our feet. Now Glen was complaining about how heavy the wagon was getting. “My hands hurt!” He kept saying. Even though Rawd and Grom were helping us push and pull. It was hard going up the hills and mountains.

 

    Nothing eventful had happened that day. We crossed creeks and carried the wagon if the water was too high. Any rock to big we picked the wagon over. Nothing but walking. Trying not to think about how much farther we needed to go.

 

    The sun was going down, when we came to the top of a steep ridge. Looking down, we could see another Indian camp in the clearing below. The two scouts that went ahead were standing behind two trees from the camp. They had there hand up indicating for us to stop. One of then, pointing his finger towards the camp.

 

    We stopped to look, hiding behind trees growing down the sloop. The camp was like any other. Teepees with men, woman and children. A big fire built in the middle with men dancing around in a circle. However, what was different. Each man dancing had a spirit dancing over his head. If an Indian would jump over the fire, the spirit would raise his arms towards the heaven.

 

    One of the scouts said. “Bad men! They want to stop you and we will have to go around.” “We will camp for the night out of sight.” Thor said. Adding. “No meat tonight! We’ll have to eat berries and roots tonight.” Both scouts shook there heads yes but I could see they were worried.

 

    We started moving before the sun came up. Getting off the path and seeing a hill to the right. “We can go around and they might not see us.” Thor said. “I can still hear them dancing.” Eric whispered. “That scares me.” Glen said. “What’s keeping them up?” Eric said. “Bad spirits.” One of the scouts said. “Quit and let’s go!” Thor ordered.

 

    The sloop was steeper then any we have gone down. “Widsith, you and your sister Thrud help.” Thor commanded. “We have to carry the wagon down with the front higher then the back.” Eric said. “Don’t drop it. Orish will be put out in the wrong spot.” Thor said. We reached the bottom of the hill without spilling any water from the barrel. “Now all we have to do is get by the camp.” Eric said to Glen.

 

    Quietly moving around the hill opposite the Indian camp Eric could see a glowing at the top. What is that? He thought. Just then the glow started heading in there direction. “It’s one of the spirits.” “Thor” he said. “Look, theirs a spirit heading this way.”

 

    Stopping in front of us, just ten feet away then looking at us. The spirit flew over the hill towards the camp. “What will they do now?” Eric said. One of the scouts said they could do nothing. However, its man they rule and he will do anything they want.

 

    “Everyone grab the wagon, we have to find cover.” Thor said. Therefore, we all had something to do with pulling or pushing that wagon. Widsith was pushing. Eric and I were pulling. Thrud up in the wagon hanging onto the barrel, making sure it did not tip. Even Sif, Thor’s wife was pushing from the side.

 

    We rounded the hill, placing us on the trail again. We were all running, trying to get away. Zing, an arrow flew past my head sticking in a tree ahead. Then another and then two more either hitting trees or going into the woods. The trail went straight now with weeds as high as six feet or more. Thor yelled, “No cover stop.”

 

    The Indians with us got behind and fired back. This slowed them down a little but the spirits kept them coming. We could see them in the distance firing there arrows at us. The evil spirits circling there heads above. Thor knowing if he threw his hammer Zeus would find them. He then jumped up onto the wagon taking the lid off. Talking down into the water, he reached in filling his hands, then throwing it high into the air.

 

    Glen and I watched the clear water spreading above turning into millions of black specks against the blue sky. “Locust, I’ve them before.” Eric said. The bugs flew like a cloud, shading everything below them. Stopping over the men shooting at us with there arrows.

 

    “Watch this.” Thor said. The locusts lowered themselves to surround each evil spirit in a cocoon, falling to the ground. As each spirit, captured, a man below lowered his bow, turned back.

   

    “Can we go now?” Glen asked me. “Ya and I hope were near the river.” Eric said. “What river?” Glen asked again. “The Hudson river. That’s the river near Maymore in New York.” Eric said.

 

    As we started moving, again Eric looked back. Watching each black cocoon turn gray. “A stone prison for each evil spirit.” He thought. Not there fault, the men with the arrows.

 

    Two and a half day’s heading home, not stopping but only to eat. Eric was thinking, if we drove, it would only take eight hours. However, walking times four. “We should be there in four day’s,” Eric said.

      On the third day, it rained all day with big black clouds, with no lightning or thunder. “Why is there no thunder?” Eric asked Thor. “No thunder! Because I’ve not made it happen, and if I did, Zeus would shortly know where we are killing us all.”

 

    The fourth day was more promising. The sun was out and Eric hoping if only he could see the river. Everyone moved a little faster now that land flattened out. Only small hills to climb now and the trail was a little wider. Eric wanted to stop and rest, but wanted to get home more.

 

    “Stop! Look down this hill. My people and friends have captured that tribe below.” One scout said. “We have to hurry.” He added. Running now down the hill, Eric could see the river through the trees. Turning the last bend out from under the trees, the path tuned to sand.

 

    As we got closer to the river, Eric and Glen could see, the captured had ropes tied to there hands and feet. Each had a spirit as bright as the sun circling there heads. They would reach under the arms of the captured, trying to pick them up to free them. The ropes had stacks in the ground keeping them down.

 

    “How are we going to get across?” Glen asked Eric. Thor went to Eric asking if this was the place of freedom for his god. “No. It’s not far from her though.” Eric said. “OK, so we must cross this river to the path on the other side. Rawd and Grom, look for roots and vines from the trees.” Thor commanded.

 

    Rawd and Grom had retuned and braded the rope as ordered. Thor attached one end to his hammed, throwing it across the river to the biggest tree he could see. Thor knowing the hammer would return spun the tree, snapping off. Leaving the rope attached and the hammer retuning to

Thor.

 

   “We need a raft!” Thor said. “Everyone cut down these trees and build one.” He added. “No, you can not cut trees.” One Indian said. “We have another plan, without harming the land.” He said. Therefore, the Indians tied three canoes together, putting the wagon atop and placing it in the water. “Yes that works. We must go now.” Thor said.

 

    Crossing the river Eric thinking,” not far now.” When we arrived at the top of the last hill Eric could see Bear Mountain. “Thor. See the mountain shaped like a bear with a small hill beside it?” Eric was looking at Thor. “We need only to go around the small one.” Eric said. “Good. Nevertheless, there are still enemies between that hill and us. Let’s us go.” Thor said. 

© 2010 Bruce58


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on August 24, 2010
Last Updated on August 26, 2010

Author

Bruce58
Bruce58

About
just want to write. I have a story and want it out. Rewrote chapter 1. Tell me what you think more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Bruce58


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Story by Bruce58