THE STORM

THE STORM

A Poem by Don Shaw
"

Inspired from the sermons of a Biker Preacher, with eyes in the back of his head, and the Holy Spirit in his heart.

"


               The Storm
      
                   There is a storm a brewing, across our mighty land.
                   There is a storm a brewing, God lifted his gracious hand.
                  
                   No more rolling hills of amber, its all but turned to sand.
                   There is a storm a brewing , across this mighty land.
                   The seas are no longer shining, turned red with the blood of man.
                   There is a storm a brewing, across this mighty land.

                   We took Him out of schools, took Him from the home.
                   In the open prairies, blind souls begin to roam.
                   There is a storm a brewing, across this mighty land.
                   There is a storm a brewing, God lifted His gracious hand.
 
                   We forgot He is the Creator, of ALL that is  good and free.
                   He took His favor from us, and decided to let us be.

                   In our darkest hour, the lost will surely see.
                   Within the hand of our loving God,
                   we were actually very FREE.

© 2012 Don Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok, I'm going to be brutally honest, and you can kick me out if you want to!! Half of this very powerful, prophetic poem serves as a potent warning to those who need a head's up as to the nature of the times we are living in, and the other half are lead weighted lines that encircle the lines of the first half with iron chains and pull them down. Although repetition can be very effective, here it distracts the reader from your excellent imagery and constantly breaks the flow. Perhaps once in the early beginning and once at the end, and no more, would be my rec. I would love to see this edited; and you being fearless when doing so, trimming away the excess and developing some more of the meaty and powerful images that would make this poem great were they allowed to take center stage instead of the rhyme scheme. "turned red with the blood of man" cannot be paralleled, my friend, and "blind souls began to roam", please, more of this, and less of the sing-song quality of "There is a storm a'brewing". Definitely keep the line, it works in the context of the rest, but when conjoined with its twin brothers the imagery becomes lost within the momentum generated therein. Hey, don't shoot the messenger!!


Posted 11 Years Ago


what a spectacularly touching piece! nice work

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice writing here....does affect reader when read....i like it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: God, storm, spirit, grace, lost, land, America

Author

Don Shaw
Don Shaw

San Angelo, TX



About
I love the art of expression, be it of paint or pen, or a spoken word. more..

Writing