Chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

A Chapter by Brutis140
"

Liandrin wanders the great forest of Tirtiri

"
    There was no sun on this day, rain poured from the darkened clouded sky. Bolts of lightening streaked from the black clouds that loomed overhead while thunder rumbled off into the distance. Ashyla sat in the caravan quietly thinking of the betrayal that she had just received from her fathers most trusted guards. The entire city thinks that she is dead and the King, a traitor. Tirtiri is falling and the Demokin plan had worked. Their only true threat has been removed and the world is theirs to rule.

     "How long can the Tirtirian army fight against the Demonic army?" She spoke softly to herself. Now alone, depression began to set in. Her head ached and her eyes blurred causing her to loose concentration. The caravan slowed and soon after the doors opened, a young man stood waiting.
   
     "My lady, please come forth. I need you to understand that my loyalty still lies with the crown. I believe that you will one day return to us and claim what is rightfully yours." The man paused, holding back tears but found it in himself to continue. " I must apologize, but this is not what you believe it to be."

     "What do you mean?" Ashley interrupted.
     "I cannot say too much, but you were meant to be killed today." The man paused and opened a side hidden door on his carriage. "I apologize again princess, please take this bag of rations and this spear you will need it in these woods." Ashyla accepted his gift and his apology. She found it odd that a spear had been left for her. Only Zack knew of her training with it, yet he had so easily followed the order to remove her.
  
     "I accept this gift. I promise that I will return, not only to reclaim the Throne but also with the Demokin Lord's head on this very spear." She turned to walk away but spoke again. "Sir, I must know your name." Happiness filled the man and he joyfully replied.
   
     "Andrew. Its Andrew the traveling salesman." The words seemed to roll off his tongue.
"Take a moment to change your clothes and cut your hair. There are trowsers and scissors at your side. If you need anything more, wait for a caravan like this at the Western Beach. Tell the salesman, 'The tide shows the limestone well this time of year'. He will give you any help he can. She looked at him strangely.
     "Cut my hair?" She asked.
     "Word will travel fast princess, and if you are recognized alive Garth's knights will surely hunt you down." He replied. She swallowed and climbed into the caravan. Not long after she exited revealing her hair cut close to the scalp on one side and the rest flopped to the other.
     "I assure you that no one will recognize you now princess." He said as he jumpped back onto his caravan and rode towards the city.
     "What a strange man." She said aloud as she headed into the treeline.

     Ashley had never been to the Great Forest outside the city, in fact she had never traveled anywhere. The forest intrigued her, gigantic trees towered over her head, vines and plants grew below. Birds danced between branches and other creatures frolicked in the leaves.
     "This place is beautiful, I only wish that father would have brought me here." Her words seemed to trail off as the memories of her father clouded her mind. With her newly acquired spear and pack she followed what seemed to be a path. Animals stopped to watch as she passed through. Soon she grew tired and began looking for a place to rest. After a long while she came to an opening in the trees, soft grass covered the ground and a wall of trees encircled the area blocking her from the view of any intruders.
     "This is perfect I will camp here for the night and continue at dawn."  She enjoyed hearing her own voice, it distracted her from the loneliness. Laying out the blanket she found in her pack, she started to sing. Singing brought joy to her as she set up camp and gathered twigs and sticks for a fire. After a few minutes, she had set up her sticks in a small hole. She sat close and stared at it for a few seconds before it burst into flames.
      "If only mother could see how much I've learned since she passed." She paused. "If father had of let me join the Amethyst Mages I could have saved her. Royal magic isn't strong enough." She moved to get some of the bread from her pack and ate.

     The sun was setting and Ashley found herself drifting off to sleep. She dreamed of Tirtiri and its new Order of Governing. Its citizens casting her and her father into a pit, cursing and spitting at them as they filled the hole with dirt.

                                       *****

     The room was filled with darkness. A man stood over a black orb on an iron pedestal. Images of a forest and a girl flashed before him.
     "Filth!" His voice echoed in the room. The door behind cracked open releasing a wave of light into the room. A wretched looking old man entered. his spine curved causing him to slouch quite low and limp about.
     "Yes master?" The old man spoke.
     "The Princess has entered the forest. Follow Her." The man said sternly.
     "Yes master." Said the old man as he bowed as best he could before taking his leave. The door closed again behind him, blanketing the room in darkness once again.

                                      *****


     She awoke the next morning as the sun pierced through the trees. Gathering her things and starting off on the path once again. After a long period of walking and watching the animals play under the trees she set her pack down under an enormous tree to take a break. It was not long before the animals became brave enough to approach her. Ashley reached into her pack and pulled some dried corn, offering it to the sparrow and squirrel. She was very surprised when they spoke to her instead of running in fear.
     "No thank you." The sparrow said to her. "I haven't come to you for food. I only wish to ask one favor." Ashley was very surprised that a bird would be speaking to her and hesitated before answering.
     "What is the favor you ask?" The birds reply came quickly and to the point.
     "We have seen your magic and know of your task. I wish you to take my friend with you on your journey."
     "What do you ask in return?" Ashley asked thinking the little bird would want something for taking its friend away.
     "I ask for nothing. I believe that you will need his help on your journey. I wish to see the filth driven from this land." The birds wishes seemed fair and she chose to accept.
     "I will take your friend with me." She wasn't exactly sure where she was going at the moment, but she was sure a guide would be handy.
     "Very well, the animals will gather all you will need to get you to the nearest exit. It is a few days off and you leave at dawn, tonight please rest." The birds words were delightful to her but she had not been introduced to her new companion.
     "Hello, I am Ashley, Princess of Tirtiri." Her introduction was surprising not only to her new squirrel companion but also the sparrow.
     "Excuse me? Princess Ashley?" The bird seemed completely thrown off guard. "There have been whispers of your death. Please tell us what happened in Tirtiri." Ashley was quick to respond.
     "I will tell you, but first I must know my companions name." The squirrel came forward.
     "It is Roland ma'am." She thought that was a funny name. She smiled before explaining to the animals that her father had been murdered and betrayed.
     "That is horrible, we will fix this wrong doing princess. Word travels fast, soon everyone will know the truth." The bird paused before Roland interrupted.
     "Yes ma'am, but beware that there are followers of evil." The squirrel lowered its voice significantly before continuing. "They are hiding everywhere."  This was the first thing besides its name that she had heard her companion say.
     "We will be ready no matter what, we will get the Orb back and reclaim the Throne. I know that there are still people out there that will help us." Ashley's speech built confidence in the animals and they nodded.

     After gathering enough food for their travel in the forest, the animals huddled close to her keeping her warm for the night. They told stories of the forest and their lives in it. Ashley enjoyed this and she felt as though she had a family once again.

     It was soon morning. Ashley and Roland set out on their journey. She thought to herself that he was good company, she enjoyed having someone to talk to. Roland helped Ashley whenever he could. He enjoyed her company in return. Telling stories of his experiences in the forest and in return Ashyla sharing her stories. She thought to herself that life would be very different for her now and that she was lucky to have Roland as a companion.

     It had been nearly five days since she and Roland left the camp. Following the path since day one.
     "When does this path end?" She asked him.
     "Soon, I'm sure of it." he replied.
     They talked for hours of all the sights they wished to see together. From the Spiders Eastern Continent to the Volcanic Fields of the Western Plains, all things she had read of in the Castle libraries. Suddenly Ashley looked ahead, noticing a clearing in the trees. She began to run, picking up speed toward the exit. Roland was now getting very excited, running back and forth from shoulder to shoulder. Nearing the exit she noticed a fence close to the edge of the forest with a small cabin on the other side. Ashley now excited, ran as fast as she could towards the fence almost falling multiple times.

     After reaching the fence she noticed that it bordered a small farm and a stable on her left. Cows and horses wandered the open area. On the right a small cabin. Smoke bellowed from the chimney. This sight made her happy.
     "Someone is home Roland, lets go." Ashley did not wait for her companion's reply. She hopped over the fence and darted towards the door. After a loud knock and anxious waiting the door opened. A tall pale man with pointed ears and icy blue eyes greeted her.
     "Hello child, what can I do for you?" His voice was kind with a hint of alarm with her presence.
     "I seek a warm bed and meal for the night." She seemed to trust him, not knowing why. He motioned her to follow him.
     "What brings you so far from the path?" His question gave Ashley the opportunity to tell her story.
     "I come from Tirtiri." Ashley trailed off her last words giving the man a chance to speak.
     "Ah Tirtiri, a magnificent city. I fought at its side once many years ago." His words seemed to make him proud. Sadness filled Ashley.
     "I fear the glory that it once held is no more." Her words surprised the man. "Seven nights ago my father, the King of Tirtiri was murdered. His death was made to look as though it was done at his own hand." Her voice was monotone and free of emotion. The man's eyes widened.
     "Princess Ashley? I cant believe it! The King dead and the Princess sitting before me. This is madness!" He stood and moved his gaze to the window. "What of the city?" Giving the Princess a chance to speak she told him of the new Order of Governing and that she had been banished.
     "By the Seven!" He exclaimed. "We must talk some sanity into the Elite Knights." The man's words made sense to her but she feared they would not be possible.
     "It will not be of any use. Sir Garth has gone mad and power hungry. I fear there is no way to return home at this time." Her words settled in him as he pondered for a moment.
    "I am Arcbolt Nightwind. Prince of the snow elves. Princess, I ask that you travel with me at daybreak. There is something very important that we must do." His words were noble and alarming. She agreed to trust him and took her bed for the night.
 
     Morning set in. Ashyla  and Roland both were awoken by the clattering of porcelain dishes. Arcbolt was preparing his pack with food and dishes. When Ashyla and her companion entered the room he spoke.
     "Finally awake princess? Pack your things we leave immediately." she was surprised to hear this but did not argue. She went straight to work gathering her things with the help of Roland and was soon ready to make way.
 
     The wind was crisp, chills shot down Ashley's back. Roland sent annoying complaints into her ears, followed by Arcbolt's pleads to quicken her pace.
     "Where are we going?" She asked, but there was no answer. "Prince Arcbolt I beg of you, please tell me what your plan is." he found himself becoming annoyed with her questions.
     "Call me Arcbolt. My title of royalty is long gone." His statement created frustration in her but he continued unaware. "There is something we must retrieve before our journey to my home lands. It is something I am sure will give us strength in this quest." These words shocked Her. Roland mumbled in her ear the possibilities of what it was they were meant to retrieve. She did not ask, knowing that Arcbolt's reply would most likely dodge a proper answer. His secrecy made her feel uneasy.

     Many hours passed as they walked the forest path. Ashley grew tired but did not ask to rest. She knew that wherever they were heading Arcbolt intended that they make good time.
     "We draw nearer to our destination. We head to the eastern shores. A boat awaits us there." Her heart sank. She had never traveled by sea. Great fear took over all feeling, her companion pleading her not to proceed as he scurried from shoulder to shoulder.
     "I understand your fear Princess and that of your friend." She did not understand how he could know either of their fears. "I am not fond of travel by sea myself but it is the only way to our destination." His own voice shuttered when mentioning his fears. "Come now, we must be on our way. We have to reach the beach before nightfall."

      Ashyla's stomach began to growl. Ignoring the noise as she fed dried berries and corn to her companion. They walked swiftly for hours as each minute the sun drew closer to the horizon. Not speaking to each other in this late hour, they were determined to reach their goal.

     Arcbolt's eyes widened. He turned to her and spoke.
     "Our boat is just ahead. When you arrive there will be a caravan, buy what you need it will be a long trip." She did not speak but followed him close as they descended a hill towards the water. The boat looked small from a distance but also sturdy. Ashley was surprised it wasn't much larger. Without complaining she followed as they approached the caravan.
      "Good day sir." The man inside speaking to Arcbolt. "What can I do for you? Weapons, armor, food? We have it all." Ashley remembered what Andrew had said to her. This however was not the Western Shore, but the Eastern. She thought for a moment before speaking
      "The tide shows the limestone well this time of year." The man froze in mid sentence and Arcbolt turned, looking at her with confusion.
      "My dear, where did you hear that?" The man impatiently gazed at her.
      "Andrew the traveling salesman." Her words held strong as the man stepped out of his caravan. The man was old. His hair snow white, a big bushy beard covered his mouth and chin. He scratched his head and stared at the two travelers. Roland moved curiously to see what was happening.
      "Come inside we must speak in private." The man spoke in a low voice while turning for the caravan's rear doors. When inside Ashley looked about, noticing the same sort of goods Andrew had in his caravan. The older man motioned for them to sit and he began to speak.
       "Great needs must be upon you young lady. Andrew would not have broken our codes and given you the pass-phrase otherwise." He paused before continuing "Miss, there is one thing you must know. You must never speak the pass-phrase aloud unless you know for sure that the person you are speaking it to is one of the Merchants Guild." She looked at him with confusion. "If you are not careful anyone could hear and catch on. I will give you anything you need in my caravan because I am a friend of Andrew's. But please be aware that most merchants will not." The look on his face was sincere. Arcbolt turned to look at her and nodded.
      "These are the things we will need." Arcbolt said while pointing to the few things, trying not to be greedy. The man kindly agreed and sent them on their way.

     The first day on the sea seemed like forever for her. She did not enjoy traveling like this. Arcbolt focused on steering the small boat and his destination. Not talking often and occasionally glancing at her. The wind was light and the boat seemed like it was barely moving. The only sound was a flock of gulls gliding overhead. Ashley gathered the courage to speak.
     "Why did you stay here?" The question startled Arcbolt.
     "Pardon?"  She looked strangely thinking he may not have heard her. She rephrased her question.
     "Why did you stay in Tirtiri if your home is in the Frost Lands?" Offended at her slang referring to his home he corrected her.
     "Indeed it is cold Princess, but it does have a name." He looked at her for a second before proceeding. "My home land is called 'Memorika' in my tongue." She was astonished. She had never been told the true name of the place. Arcbolt continued speaking.
     "It means 'The Crystal Blanket' in the common tongue." She did not know how to reply. She stared off into the horizon.
     "Princess, I will tell you this. It was not my choice to come here, I was abandoned by those whom I loved." Ashley was awestruck. She sat staring at him not knowing how to proceed. She soon decided to let it be. Ashley was surprised then Arcbolt continued his story.
     "It was much like your story Princess, involving death and betrayal. Almost fifty years past now but I still remember it like it was yesterday. My companions and myself were exploring an old ruin in the northern part of my homeland when we were attacked by a group of Yeti. Massive beasts standing almost thirteen feet tall. We fought them off but my closest friend, Darius Obsidianbreaker. He was injured and so close to death. Under normal circumstances it would have been him to use his magic and heal the wounded. But alas it was him, the one who had previously saved so many lives subjected to death. I was forced to think quickly and bring him to the only person I knew could save his life." Arcbolt looked towards Ashyla, noticing her interest in the subject he continued. "We traveled for days using mild healing tonics to keep him alive until we reached an old battle fort. Deep within its catacombs I knew of a man, not like us in any way. He was, something much more demonic. He was a Vampire. I begged him to give my friend his dark gift so that he may be able to live and continue saving the lives of others. He didn't need much convincing. Darius was given the Vampire blood and he lived on but at the cost of banishment from our homelands and from something he held much more dear, The Mages of Amethyst. I was banished following him for taking his side and refusing to accept my fathers decision." Ashleylooked at him with sadness and tried to give comforting words.
       "Any one of us would have done the same thing for our friend. Especially one who helps save the lives of others. Some day your father will understand and you will be able to return home." Arcbolt looked again at Ashley before speaking.
      "It seems as though fate is pulling me in that direction." She was unsure what to say in response and fell silent.
      "There it is, straight ahead. Our destination is only half a day off." Arcbolt looked happy. She knew that what ever was there was very important to him.

     It was late afternoon as they arrived. Tying down their small boat and proceeding up the beach. Ashley turned to look as the sun began to hang behind the horizon. Roland announced his thoughts on its beauty before taking off under her hair. Arcbolt spoke and she turned to give her attention.
     "This way Princess, we are not far off now." She did not protest she was anxious to sleep.
 
     They ventured the path. The sky darkening and the moons rising. Ashley loved being under the stars. It reminded her of staring off her balcony in Tirtiri. She thought to herself about the state of her home and if it would ever return to normal. Arcbolt stopped, interrupting her thoughts and motioning her around a bend. A small cottage stood up the path, a steep hill awaited. she was pleased to see it was where they were going to stay.
     "Where is he?" Arcbolt's words startled her as she peered inside. "Princess, wait inside until I return." Her heart sank, thoughts brewed in her mind. He had brought her to a strange island almost immediately after they met and now she was being forced to sit in a dark room until he returned with a mysterious person.

     It was dark in the shack. no lanterns hung, no fireplace near. Ashyla paced back and forth ranting on while her companion sat nearby sometimes contributing to the conversation.
     "This is madness!" her words echoed in the small building. "He leads me across the ocean on a mission and then leaves me blind in a dark shack."
     "Maybe this place is important." Roland interrupted.
     "Important how? We are looking for a person who has long since abandoned this shack." Her companion's opinion swayed towards hers. Just as she was about to speak again she heard a creek. Looking at the door she noticed a tall figure. She screamed and stepped backwards tripping over something. The person ran towards her and helped her to her feet asking if she was alright. Ashley was now able to get a better look. The person was a young man about her age. He had slightly long brown hair. His ears not pointed like Arcbolt's but rounded like hers, indicating he was human. But what stood out the most was his piercing silver eyes. She seemed to get lost in his gaze.
      "Are you alright?" The young man's voice broke the silence.
      "Yes I'm fine." She replied taking a few steps back.
      "Well, what is your name?" He seemed forceful, but after all she was in is home.
      "I am Ashley, Princess of Tirtiri." Her words burned inside him. His heart pounded and he responded.
      "I am Toran."

                                       *****

     A single candle sat in the middle of the table and illuminated very little of the parties faces. The smell of mold and dust filled the air. Six cloaked individuals sat evenly spaced around a large oaken table. The air was thick and ominous as they stared into each others dark hoods.
     "Our intelligence dictates that the Princess is safe and equipped to survive in the forest." Spoke a man as he lowered a glowing purple gamblers die onto the table, revealing one dot in the middle.
     "What makes you think she is safe?" asked a woman from the other side of the table. She too lowered a glowing die on the table, this one displaying two dots.
     "She has the same abilities as her mother.." Spoke another man as he stood, placing his die onto the table. Its face had three dots carved firmly into it.
     "You should have done more!" shouted a woman as she rolled her die across the table to a man still in the shadows landing with four dots face up. He then placed his die beside hers which showed five dots on the face.
      "Ill ask you to lower your voice Miss. Valeheart." He paused and stood.
      "She is the princess of Tirtiri and you left her to the wolves." She retorted.
      "There are more urgent things to worry about." He said to her as he placed a paper onto the table. and she lowered herself into her seat.     
      "Is that what I think it is?" Asked the man with the first die. Peering at the paper. It had a drawing that clearly indicated the tower crumbling and some swords in the background creating a sort of sigil.
      "Yes Andrew, it is the mark of the Demokin. It is true that they have struck again." He replied.
      "So Sir Garth?" The woman with the second die spoke to the group.
      "Miss. Valeheart, I want you to lead a resistance. Work in the shadows, scare Garth. Cause him to focus his resources on ghosts." Everyone sat back in their chairs as Zack continued to speak. She nodded.
      "One last thing, It is our soul responsibility to see the princess returned to the throne, but Tirtiri must be safe first. At this point in time, it is not."  Zack stood and left after retrieving his die from the table.


© 2015 Brutis140


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
Added on September 23, 2012
Last Updated on July 16, 2015
Tags: Storm, Animal, Elves, Merchant, Limestone, Vampire, Cottage, Farm, Boat, Ocean, Camping, Magic


Author

Brutis140
Brutis140

Stratford, Canada



About
Well, I'm not sure where to begin. I'm 27 years old and live in a small town, I work for a living and enjoy reading, writing, drawing, filming building costumes and props and animating. more..

Writing
Heroes Heroes

A Story by Brutis140


Dust Dust

A Book by Brutis140