A Night Like No Other Part 1

A Night Like No Other Part 1

A Story by Bryad Polis Valentino
"

My contest entry for a contest. A horror Halloween-themed short story.

"
The dark and winding path had finally came to an end. I was beyond lost, and my phone had died an hour ago. I had no choice but to venture forward to the old and shady house ahead. The lights were on in the living room, that much I could see past the drab curtains. Beside the walkway to the house stood several markers, but I was unable to read them, as they had faded perhaps a long time ago. I was reluctant to knock on the heavy wooden black door, despite the inscription upon it reading "Welcome to our home." I rapped on it three times, and shivered as the wind howled through the woods. I heard a few creaking steps, and watched as the door slowly opened. In front of me stood an attractive, young woman, wearing a black dress that complimented her long hair. She smiled, her silver earrings swinging as she did. She asked me, quietly, "What brings you to our home, sir?"

Sir? What title had been bestowed upon me made no sense. I'm a stranger, a potential danger to this lady. I tipped my hat, and answered, "I have wandered into these woods, lost after a bonfire party. May I come into charge my phone?" She sighed, and answered, in a melancholy tone, "I'm afraid we have no electricity, but you can stay here until sunrise." No electricity? What a predicament. I will stay here with this mysterious kindly woman, if only to prevent me from freezing to death. I tipped my hat again, and walked in with her, where I was met by a fireplace in the living room. I sat down in a wicker armchair. She bowed to me, and said, "Welcome to our home." Our? So she's not alone here. I guessed the others were upstairs. I asked, not wishing to intrude on her hospitality, "May I have some water?" She laughed, it resounding in a cackle, and answered, "Actually, I have some muffins and tea made up. Would you like some?" I nodded, and watched as she pushed the kitchen door open, walking out of the room. I can't get over how beautiful this dark-haired woman is. I heard rumors at the bonfire of stories of a witch living in the woods, but surly she can't be it. I looked at the table in the living room, and noticed no signs of witchcraft or sorcery. Good, I'd prefer not to be a malevolent sacrifice before the morning comes.

The woman entered the living room with a tray holding a tarnished kettle, china cups, and two aromatic muffins that reeked of blueberries. She said, cheerfully, "I'm Dolores, and my husband is Alan. Our daughter is just 14, and her name is Mindi. Forgive them. They are tired from the hunt." The hunt? I saw no trophies around here. Perhaps they are in another room. I asked, "Is Alan and Mindi okay?" She laughed, it sounding like a hushed cackle this time, and answered, "They're fine. They'll be down shortly for dinner when it's done. Give it an hour." How long had I been lost? I looked at her brass windup clock, it reading 11:34. How late do these people eat normally? How strange it is they dine at twelve. I took the tea she offered and the muffin, biting greedily into it. She smiled, her perfect white teeth shining, and ate her muffin, too. She swallowed, and said, enthusiastically remarking, "I just love these. We have a garden where we grow the berries out back." I drank my tea, noticing it was not too hot. Had she been watching me, expecting me ahead of time? No, that is irrational. This woman definitely cannot be the witch, watching me hours ago in her crystal ball. She stared at me, noticing my expression. She asked, "What's wrong, deary?" I shook my head, and answered, "Nothing, I'm just relieved you're so kind." She smiled again, and rose from the black leather couch. She walked upstairs, and said, "I'm going to go fetch Alan. He'll be the one cooking, aye." She dashed up the stairs, her shoes clicking on the hard wood. Several minutes passed, in which I finished my muffin and sipped at my tea. Soon, I was joined by Dolores and Alan, the latter being a mid-height man dressed all in black, a shirt and trousers along with a fedora you might see in an old movie. He smiled, not parting his crimson lips, and said, greeting me, "Welcome to our home." Alan then quickly disappeared into the kitchen, leaving me alone again with Dolores. She smiled, and studied me. She then laughed, and asked, "You'd make a fine addition to our home. Strong young lad, aye. I would love a man like you." How odd. She isn't coming on to me, is she? Alan must be her man, right? We sat there, myself uneasy, and I couldn't help but glance at her, Dolores happily noticing. She kept glaring at my neck and licking her lips. I met a girl at the bonfire, but we aren't together yet. Perhaps I'll get lucky tonight, ha ha.

Dolores patted the seat beside her, and I got up to sit next to her. She flipped her long hair behind her shoulder, and asked, "Do you live in town?" I scoffed at the notion that others may actually live in these woods. I answered her, "Yes, in the hills outside of the downtown sector." She opened her mouth, obviously interested in my words. She said, in a becoming manner, "You can stay here anytime…we have a spare room, down the hall. Please, join us whenever you can. We never have visitors." As she shouldn't this deep in the woods. It was mere chance I found this oasis. Alan came out into the living room, pouring us more tea. He watched me, noting how close I was to Dolores. He smiled, his blue eyes reflecting the flames in the fireplace. He said, "The venison steaks will be done soon. Please, honey, retrieve our daughter." So they were indeed a couple. It was peculiar how he hadn't been alarmed at my vicinity to his woman. She had not pulled away her hand from my leg when he entered the room, it resting still on my thigh. She smiled at Alan, and said, "I'll go get her. Hurry with the food, dear. Our guest is so very hungry." Alan left for the kitchen, while Dolores went up the stairs to get their daughter. I had a few moments to reflect on my current situation, and I didn't feel right. Should I sleep with this woman I will suffer the effects on human morale. God, I know I want to, though. Should I have this woman, maybe to never return to her again, pursing that blonde from the bonfire afterwards? I swear I could just stay here forever.

Dolores came back down the stairs, followed by a girl with long brown hair who was dressed modestly in a T-shirt and jeans. She smiled at me, and asked, "Who are you, stranger? We don't normally have visitors." I tipped my hat, and answered, "I am Fred. I journeyed to your home by mere fate." The girl nodded, and finished their descent down the stairs. The girl sat next to her mother, and I sat down in the wicker chair, frozen with apprehension. Mindi asked, not being the least bit shy, "Do you like dogs, mister?" I am certainly no mister at my age, but the notion was endearing enough. I answered, a bit enamored, "I love them, do you have one?" The girl laughed, and answered, "No...but I want one. We'd be best friends." It was as if this girl in the woods was completely normal, unlike her parents. It's nice that they would raise a kid like her. I looked at the clock again, and it read midnight. There is no doubt that it was November first now. This is the night all spirits are supposed to come alive. The fear in me still keeps me at unease. Alan is the one I am most suspicious of, especially with my intentions to sleep with Dolores. I'll wait until the man goes to bed, and enjoy his wife then. He'll never have to know. Even if he forces the truth out of her, I'll be long gone. Grace will be mine, for I'll be most fortunate on All Saint's Day.

© 2019 Bryad Polis Valentino


Author's Note

Bryad Polis Valentino
All reviews will be repaid in full. Regards.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I didn't quite get the ending, though I suspected they were vampires. I suppose I just don't get the reference to All Saint's Day.

It reads well and I got through the whole thing easily enough. The characters are interesting and I have many questions about them. I wonder what the theme is. I feel like I'm missing something here. Overall it was enjoyable. Good luck in the contest. :)



Posted 3 Years Ago


Sir Aphid

3 Years Ago

i wanted to add that it reminds me of a gothic tale, like something by edgar allen poe.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 26, 2019
Last Updated on September 26, 2019
Tags: Horror, Halloween, Witch, Vampire, Werewolf

Author

Bryad Polis Valentino
Bryad Polis Valentino

Spokane, WA



About
I was once called the seeker of truth but abandoned my way to learn how to show mercy. What I discovered was a gentle side with intense emotions. I refused to call myself evil, but feared that I indee.. more..

Writing