Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

                I took a deep breath to break the silence and began moving toward the forest edge. It seemed to be easy but I heard a scream somewhere, a woman’s scream. My heart raced as I became aware of someone moving toward me. I strained my ears to hear where it was coming from. This was soon solved when I was tapped on the shoulder and I spun around to see a man sneering at me. His fist slammed across my jaw and I was forced back a couple of steps. I couldn’t recover fast enough before his foot hit my ribs. My back smashed against a tree. The man came in for another punch but I ducked down to bring his legs out from under him. He was down on the ground which meant that he was supposed to stay down but he refused to. Instead, the man got back up and prepared to kick me again. I dodged his outstretched leg and punched him in the stomach. The man doubled over in pain but I needed him to stay down so I brought my fist down on his head. Then, I left him before he could get the chance to get back up to fight.

                My heart pounded as the twigs snapped under my feet. I had to find my way out of the forest; I had to find the flag. A branch smacked me in the face which left a skinny line of blood rising to the surface of my cheek. A twig snapped to my left, freezing me dead in my tracks. Goosebumps forced the sweaty hairs to stand on end. The person to my left had also stopped but I didn’t want to encounter another sneak attack so I quietly moved to where I had heard the sound. Aiden stood perfectly still with his back to me. Somehow, I knew he could feel my presence. I knew that he was probably showing his white teeth through his cocky grin at that moment. Slowly, I walked to him while wondering if he underestimated me. Aiden turned around to face me. In this game, we couldn’t be friends. I threw a punch at him but he caught it and twisted my arm behind my back. I whispered that I was sorry before using my heel to kick him in the crotch. He released me to cup himself but he didn’t go down. I left him before he had a chance to recover. As I neared the edge of the forest, more and more enemies blocked my path. I was too close to the flag to stop so I ran past them. The flag was straight ahead after I got through the clearing with everyone else running after me. Quickly, my hand pulled up the flag and thrust it into the air. People began cheering, including some I had encountered and were apparently on my team. Aiden, Evie, and Harriett smiled as they pushed me around. The commander called for everyone to calm down.

                “Congratulations team one, because of Cox you won. The purpose of this drill is to show you that you might not always be able to tell who is friend or foe in the war. Your fellow soldiers will be counting on you to know the difference and not accidentally shoot one of them. Now, all of you meet back here after lunch. Same teams,” Our commander dismissed us.

                I started walking to the cafeteria with Evie and Harriett while Aiden ran to catch up with us, “I can’t believe we were doing that for so long. It only felt like an hour or two at most.” He said.

                “I know, right? I’m just glad that he’s taking it easy on us,” I shook my head, “The war’s going to be another thing coming, though.” That stopped any further conversation.

                During lunch I was congratulated by several people but, really, I didn’t feel like I had done that much. When we finished eating, we marched back into the forest and waited for the rifle blast. Once again, I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins. My heart jumped at the sound of the gun shot and I was fully prepared to capture the flag again. Far off in the distance, I could hear someone squeal. Obviously, it had to be a woman because not once in my life had I heard a man ‘squeal.’ On my way to the flag, I met Aiden. He barely had time to show his cocky smirk before I kicked him in the crotch and punched him in the face. After that, I really started to become over confident and the adrenaline pulsing through me didn’t help much. I began running to the edge of the forest instead of walking to keep quiet. Right when I could see a strand of light between the trees, a man to my left asked for my help. He was protecting himself from the blows of another man who I didn’t recognize to be on our team. As I went over to help, I became aware of all the sound behind me. Several people were running, all from the other team. They had run after me.

                I pulled the guy off of my team member and told my teammate to run for the flag. He looked at me as if I was insane but didn’t wait for me to tell him twice. Four members from the opposite team ran after him while the other stayed to deal with me. Three men and two women stood before me and, to my relief, three of my teammates came from the trees to my right. We didn’t fight. Instead, we all stood still, waiting, expecting for either someone to throw a punch or the rifle blast to tell us it was all over. Finally, what felt like an hour later, the rifle burst through the air and we walked out of the forest. The guy I had helped was waving the flag in the air.

                “Team one, once again, congratulations. Team two, I am very disappointed. After break and dinner, I want you all to go to the fitness room. Tomorrow, team one will be trying to prevent team two from capturing the flag. Also, tomorrow is your last full day here so I am going to explain how everything is going to work over in Scotland. Now, fuel up, soldiers, and enjoy the rest of today and tomorrow because after that it’s Hell.” Our commander released us with what seemed like little confidence in us.


© 2012 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Will add description to this on the final draft of it. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on April 24, 2012
Last Updated on April 24, 2012


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.