Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

                Morning came in a flash; we put on our uniforms, packed up our things, and waited outside the camp for the jeeps. Our commander came to see us one last time. He shook each of our hands knowing fully well that each of us could die. Around eight in the morning, the jeeps arrive fueled up and ready to go. Aiden, Evie, Harriet, and I sat in the same jeep with two other guys, not including the driver. It was a long drive and no one said a word. We simply stared at each other with grim faces.

                After three hours we reached a rectangular platform that had a jet settled on it. All it really was was old cement with fading white lines. We all boarded we the thought of being closer to the war hanging over our heads. Almost halfway through the ride, I went to the bathroom. It was just an old, dirty, and rusty toilet with no sink or toilet paper. Still, ‘when you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go’ and with that, I finished. The rest of the ride wasn’t pleasant. Destruction could be seen as the jet flew over several other states and countries. The ground was black from the explosions, smoke billowed out of unidentifiable objects, and ashes rained around the windows. So, this was what we were fighting against. There was no longer freedom of religion or peace. My heart pounded in my chest as the jet began to descend. Once we were at a full stop, the pilot told us to get off. Everyone shared questioning glances. The pilot came on again to tell us that we were to wait for the general outside and lined up respectfully. Slowly, my group exited the jet. I tried to stay behind but they pushed me to the front with my friends. Harriett handed me a hair tie to put my hair up and to let the general know that we were all in uniform. I rejected again.

                Five or so minutes later, four jeeps pulled up to us. Each one was capable of holding five of us. A tall man in uniform got out. I was the first one he eyed. His glare froze the blood running through my veins and I could almost swear he could hear my pounding heart.

                “You… What’s your name?” He asked.

                “Kristina, sir.” I replied.

                “Hmm… And why aren’t you wearing your hair up?”

                “Sorry, sir. I refuse to wear my hair up. Sir…”

                “I don’t care!... Exactly where have I seen your face before? Have we met before?”

                “No, sir. I think you are thinking of my brother, Erik Cox.”

                “Yes, half of his group was forced to stay an extra three days because of a break down here.” The general began his way down the line and didn’t speak to me again. He eyed everyone from head to toe and, when he finished, he spoke to all of us.

                “You all know what you signed up for and now there’s no going back. Well, some of you actually didn’t have a choice. Anyway, half of group three just arrived, the other half is staying for another three days, and you are joining group one which is leaving in three days. Some of you, maybe all, will die. However, some of you may live. As simple as that. Now, I’m sure that your commander told you everything so get in the jeeps and we will be just in time for dinner.” The general dismissed us.

                We piled into the jeeps excited but afraid. During the short ride, Aiden held my shaking hand. When we stopped, the general showed us where our room was and then he led us to the cafeteria to eat. As we entered the room, I scanned the tables for my brother. He, however, found me. Erik grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me.



© 2012 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Will edit later

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on April 28, 2012
Last Updated on April 28, 2012


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.