"Cuckoo" - Chapter 2: A New Friend

"Cuckoo" - Chapter 2: A New Friend

A Chapter by Jason Bubbleo
"

Klein the wild man has his life changed upside down.

"
On a warm summer evening, the sunset's amber light filtered over Klein's woods as he was sharpening a new wooden sword. A gentleman called Thomas Wissington decided to take a stroll and entered Klein's woods with a rhythm to his walk, Klein was so entranced in his current project that he was naive to Mr. Wissington's presence in his home. Thomas stopped in his tracks, spotted the wild man and hid behind a tree, Klein swerved his head around and his instinct kicked in. He gripped tightly onto his sword and walked towards the smell of a human, taking small steps across the grassy ground. Thomas gulped, aware that an armed wild man was slowly coming closer to him, he panicked and stepped out, waving his arms about as he calmly said "Stop! I mean you no harm!" but the distrusting wild man pinned Thomas to a tree and pointed his sword at the gentleman's neck. 
Klein growled at Thomas, who nervously said "Please, pardon my intrusion on your lovely stick party. I'm sure you are an understanding and sophisticated gentleman" Klein spat on the ground and wiped his nose with his rags, Thomas sighed then explained "My name is Thomas Arthur Wissington, I am a respected writer from Lusiana, I have come to gain some inspiration from Appanila's rich environments for my new book". Klein turned his head inquisitively and asked "Book?" as he slowly retracted his weapon from Thomas, the word book held importance with Klein because he recalled the novels that his parents read to him each night. Despite his distrust towards humans, this nostalgic word tapped into Klein's childhood innocence and made Thomas seemed less threatening. 

Thomas brushed himself down and observed the wild man's face, Klein was lost in memories of fairy tales told by his mother and adventures narrated by his father. Thomas waved at Klein to gain an attentive response, Klein quickly looked up at Klein and eagerly asked "You, read me book?", Thomas felt intrigued by his new friend and liked how he wanted to sink his teeth into a story, so he grabbed a self penned book from his pouch and began reading out loud to the wild man. Klein's face lit up as Thomas told a tale of knights, bravery and princesses, completely engaged in the narrative as well as Thomas' refined voice. After a while, Thomas closed the book and softly said "Finished". Satisfied by Mr. Wissington's story, Klein grabbed a handmade carving of an owl and presented it to the writer as thanks, Thomas adjusted his glasses and politely responded with a thankyou. Two humans from different backgrounds had connected this day, each having something to offer to one another. 


© 2014 Jason Bubbleo


Author's Note

Jason Bubbleo
Comments and criticism are encouraged.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on November 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 6, 2014
Tags: Writer, Wild Man, Sword, Walk, Threaten, Defend, Book, Mother, Father, Novel, Fairytale, Owl, Carving