Chapter 7-The Wait

Chapter 7-The Wait

A Chapter by ApplesAreAmazing

Monday came, and school passed by in a blur. Tiana and Krystal had made up and now had an agreement about Justin. If he asked any of them out, they would both say no. They acted normal, but I could still feel the tension in the air when they were around each other. Now, hanging out with them was awkward when I tried to include both of them in the conversation. Tiana said that Krystal was the one who didn't want to talk, but Krystal said it was the other way around. Obviously, it was both of them, and after homeroom, I had a throbbing headache. In Language Arts, things were better, but I couldn't help but wonder why Krystal and Tiana just couldn't make up and forget the stupid crush. In physics, I barely talked to Bad Timing Guy, with the excuse that I had stayed up late reading. He wanted to cancel the meet today, but I refused. We had to get this project done sometime. At lunch, I didn't want to choose to hang out with Tiana or Krystal, so I just spent my time in the library. The last few periods were boring, but didn't cause any migraines. After school, I saw Tiana and Krystal walking in opposite directions and sighed. They would have to sort this out by themselves.
 I met up with Bad Timing Guy at the park. Conversations were bland, until we started talking about what our video game was going to be about. I wanted to do something like Tetris, which I was pretty good at, but he wanted to do a war game. He said Tetris wasn't original, but I said that war games were too violent. Finally, we decided to make a game where you had to run around and throw things at blocks, which was kind of violent and kind of like Tetris. We went to the ice cream parlor for a break and to think about how we were going to make the game. I was going to order my usual strawberry bliss, but he said, "Can I have one of those chocolate/vanilla swirls? And a double fudge sundae,"
"What the heck?!?" I said, "How can you eat that much?!?"
"The first one's for you," he said. I frowned. I tried to remember the first thing he had ordered, but I just knew that it wasn't going to be a strawberry bliss. I went to go grab napkins and a table, when I saw Lily. I was going to go over to say hi, but then I realized she had company....Hmm...who could that be? I thought. I took a closer look at him to memorize his face and made a mental note to ask Lily who that was. I quickly walked back to where Bad Timing Guy was standing, and asked him if we could eat outside. He agreed with a look on his face that said "why?" I shrugged. There was no reason to tell him. But..maybe he knew who that guy was. I dragged him outside and said, "Do you know who that guy is?" I pointed to Lily's booth.
"Umm....oh yeah! That's my brother's friend's cousin," he said, "His name is Michael." I took a closer look at him. That was the guy Lily was working on a project with? The guy that was supposed to be super smart? He looked more like a jock. Whatever. "Why do you want to know?" he asked suddenly.
"No reason," I said. Lily's back was facing towards me, and I didn't want her to know I was here. She'd probably say that I acted stupid or something. Plus, I didn't want to ruin their moment. She started walking to the napkins...."Let's go!" I nearly screamed. I bolted down the street...Okay, that's far enough. I thought to myself. But then, they started coming down the street. Seriously? They just had to go this way? I thought. Wait. Where was bad timing guy? Oh my gosh. He was talking to them. His name really fit. Bad Timing, Guy. I thought to myself. Wait, actually it was good timing. I could get away and Lily would never know I was spying on her earlier. Then, they all started walking towards me. Oh, great. I could never get away now.
"Eva! What are you doing all the way over there?" Lily asked.
"Umm...I was walking home," I said after a second's thought.
"Well, you looked like you were just standing there," she said. Oh yeah...great thinking, Eva. I mentally face palmed myself. Okay, well actually I was spying on you and Michael but then I didn't want you to know that I was there so I just decided to leave and I didn't even get my ice cream but that's okay because Bad Timing Guy got me something with chocolate in it. But now you found me so it was all pointless. I thought to myself.
"What was that? You said it too fast," Lily said with a puzzled expression. Oops.
"Umm..I just said that I-I-um..nothing," I finished lamely.
"Well then, we're going to finish this conversation at home," she said firmly. Sighs.
"Yeah, sure," I said. I'd probably lock myself in the bathroom before she had a chance to talk to me.
"I'm going to go back to talk to Michael. We aren't done with our project yet. If you go home early, tell Mom that I went to his house," she said.
"Umm...sure. Okay," I said. Bad Timing Guy ended his conversation with Michael and started walking towards me.
"What was that about?" he asked while handing over my ice cream. I didn't understand what he didn't get about me not liking chocolate ice cream. I explained that Lily was my sister and I didn't want to ruin their moment. "You know that they weren't having a moment, right? They're just doing a project together," he said.
"Yeah. Well, whatever. We should figure out how to do our project. And why did you get me chocolate ice cream?" I asked.
"It's not just chocolate. It's chocolate/vanilla. If you eat chocolate and vanilla ice cream together, it tastes less chocolate-y," he said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Is that even a word?" I grumbled. I took a bite. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. He could see the wonder on my face.
"How could something with chocolate ice cream taste so good?" he mimicked my voice.
"How can it?" I agreed. Soon, the cone was gone. We agreed to use a normal computer to make the game, but we'd just have to use code to make the game. I had never made a game with code, but I did know how to make blogs. I told him that and he said I'd learn quickly. It wasn't that different from learning how to write. I thought to myself, Yeah, but babies can't write. They have to wait for years until their brains develop and then they have to practice and practice and practice to make their handwriting neat. How am I supposed to do that in four weeks?! Eric's right. I'll just have to keep practicing and learn really quickly.
Soon, I went home. I told Mom that Lily was at Michael's house and that I didn't know when she'd be back. Dinner was in an hour, so I decided to help cook. I was assigned to skin, chop, and mash the potatoes. Obviously, we were having mashed potatoes. Dad was making a steak, and Mom was seasoning apples with cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar for apple pie. An hour later, Lily still wasn't back. "Let's wait a few minutes for her," Mom suggested. 20 minutes later, we were still waiting.
"Can't we just eat now?" I asked, "I know you're big on family time, but I'm really hungry." It was true. My stomach was growling. Where could Lily be? "Okay, I think I know where to find her," I said. I looked at the number Bad Timing Guy had given me earlier and texted it. Can you do me a favor?

He said a minute later: What do I get out of it?

I quickly replied: I’ll owe you one. Big time.

He texted: Fine. What do you want?

I said: I need you to take me to Michael’s house.

He said: Why?

I only said: I’ll tell you on the way there. My address is 3156 Spurlington Drive.

He said: I’ll ask my brother to drive you there. Watch for a blue truck. You have to sit in the back since I'm sitting shotgun.

I smiled happily at that. I had always wanted to ride in the back of a truck! Even though it was kind of dangerous...I frowned. Mom probably wouldn't approve.

I quickly texted: I'll meet you at the end of the block.

"Mom! I'm going out to find Lily! I know where she is," I yelled to the kitchen. Somehow, I had ended up in the living room.

"Alright, be back soon!" she called out. I grabbed my keys and walked to the end of the block. Soon, I saw a dark blue truck coming around the corner. Whoa, I thought to myself. That is one big truck. And it's in my favorite color! I grinned.

        "I'm so happy to see you,too," Bad Timing Guy stuck his head out of the window and winked.

        "I wasn't thinking about you. I love the truck," I said blatantly.

"Oh, oh. I see how it is. I guess we can go home now, bro," he turned away.

        "NOOOO!! PLEASE DON'T GO!!" I yelled, "I need to find Lily."

        "Well then, get in the truck, girl!" his brother yelled. He was tall and lanky, like Eric, but his hair was a shade lighter and he had a slight mustache.

        "YAAAAAY!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!" I squealed and hopped in the back. I tapped on the back window. "You know where we're going, right?" I asked.

        "Yeah, no worries," Bad Timing Guy's brother said, "By the way, my name's John."

        "Oh, okay. Nice to meet you John, thanks for taking me to Michael's house," I said politely.

        "No problem," he said, then turned around and started the car. The ride was awesome. The wind whipped my hair everywhere, so I couldn't really see, but I saw the sunset and the trees and lights everywhere. I laughed joyfully and glanced back. Eric was looking at me with a strange look on his face.

        "What's wrong?" I yelled over the roar of the wind.

        "Nothing," he called back. His eyes didn't move from my face. I looked away awkwardly and shrugged it off. The car started slowing down to a stop.

        "We're here!" John said. I jumped out of the truck.

        "Thanks for the ride!" I said.

        "We'll wait for you out here," Eric said. I walked up to the front door. It looked like all the other houses down the street, with white shutters and a brown roof. I looked back at Eric and John. They nodded. This was the right one. I rang the doorbell. A tall, muscular guy answered the door. He looked familiar....oh! He was Michael. I realized I hadn't said anything.

        "Oh! Hi, I'm Eva Hall. Is Lily here?" I asked.

        "Eva?" Lily came up behind him, "Why are you here?"

        "Have you looked at the time?" I asked, "Mom wouldn't start dinner without you."

        "Oh! Sorry, Michael. I have to go now. I'll see you tomorrow," she said.

        "Yeah, sure. See ya," he said, "It was nice to meet you, Eva."

        "You, too," I said. We walked down the porch steps.

"Mom is going to be so angry at you," I said.

"Yeah..I know," she said, "Hey...how are we going to get home? I could ask Michael for a ride." She started to turn back.

"You can," I said, "I don't need one."

"What are you talking about? You can't drive...." she trailed off as I pointed to the blue truck. "That's so dangerous!" she exploded, "Tell me you're not sitting in the back of that truck!"

"I can't," I said, "It's awesome back there, Lil! You can see everything!" I left out the part where your hair flew everywhere. I put my hair up in a ponytail.

"Well, I'm going to ask Michael for a ride. I'll see you at home," she said.

"'Kay, see ya," I said. When I got to the truck, they asked me if Lily was coming with us.

"Nah," I said, "She's going to get a ride with Michael." I left it at that and jumped into the back of the trunk. 15 minutes later, I was back at the house.

"Thank you so much!" I told them.

"It was no problem," John said.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow," Eric replied.

"Bye!" I said, "WAIT!!" John stopped the truck. "Do you guys want to have dinner with us?" I asked, "Well, if you didn't already..or if you're still hungry." They looked at each other.

"Sure," Eric said. Mom always made tons of extra food, so that wasn't going to be a problem. When Mom saw them, she thanked them for taking me to find Lily, like I didn't already. Lily came in a few minutes later with Michael, and said that she had invited him for dinner. As usual, we ate in the living room. We talked about the projects, and John talked about his car. Apparently, it was for Eric's birthday, but since he couldn't drive, John used it whenever Eric wanted to go somewhere.

Since it was only 7:00, Eric and I decided to work on the physics project. He started to teach me how to do it, but it was nothing like blogging. I gave up listening within a few minutes.

"Eva? Eva? Eva!" he yelled. I sat up. What happened? I realized I had fallen asleep.

"What? What time is it?" I asked.

"I was trying to teach you how to code a game, but you fell asleep. It's 7:20" he said. I guess I hadn't been sleeping for long.

"Oh, sorry. It's just too complicated!" I complained into my pillow.

"It wouldn't be if you would just listen," he said, and took my pillow away.

"Nooooooo!! Give it back!" I told him.

"I will," he said. I smiled, "After you learn how to code for a game." My jaw dropped. Who knew he could be so evil?

"Fine," I said, "Make it quick." He made the lesson as short as possible, and I tried to listen. I really did. But in the end, it just didn't make sense to me. I dozed off in my fuzzy chair.

"Eva...." someone said, then sighed, "Good night." Someone put a blanket on me. I tried to roll over, but instead hit the floor.

"Oww" I complained, and opened my eyes.

"You fell asleep. Again," Eric said.

"Oh. Sorry," I said, "Do you still want to continue the lesson?"

"No, it's okay. I think I'll let you sleep," he said.

"Oh, thanks..." I closed my eyes again.

"You know, you're not even on your bed," he said. I slowly opened my eyes and picked myself up.

"Thanks for everything, Eric," I said.

"You know, that's the first time I heard you say my name," he said.

"Yeah? See you tomorrow," I said sleepily.

"Yeah, see you," he said. I heard his footsteps retreating down the stairs and a few people say 'goodbye'. Lily's voice drifted into my subconsciousness.

"He seems nice," Lily said.

"Yeah..." I muttered.

"Do you like him?" she asked.

"Go away, I'm sleeping," I said.

"Yup. I thought so," I could hear the smile in her voice. I smiled.



© 2013 ApplesAreAmazing


Author's Note

ApplesAreAmazing
I tried to use less dialogue, but in the end I used a lot....Sorry Lily =P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
Added on June 10, 2013
Last Updated on June 10, 2013
Tags: Eva, Eric, Lily, Michael, John, truck, chocolate, vanilla, food


Author

ApplesAreAmazing
ApplesAreAmazing

CA



About
I've never done anything like this before, but here goes: My name is Eva, and I'm 12 years old. I really love music and I can sing all day, even if people don't like my singing. I don't judge peopl.. more..

Writing