Prologue: A Lycan

Prologue: A Lycan

A Chapter by The Butterfly Writer

It was nights like these, ones with few stars, that made me think about how unique I was. At least, that's what my grandmother said. She said it was a gift and a curse. A gift because I would learn things no one else would be able to, and see things others could never see. A curse because now that I had it, I was stuck with it for the rest of my life.

I pondered these things as I listened to the wind and thought about the events of the past week. How my best, and formerly my only friend in the whole world had called me a freak and swore to never speak to me again. I thought about Draenan too. The only boy I had ever been able to talk to. While these, along with other thoughts, passed through my mind, I listened to the wind whistling around me. 

There were some things I liked about having a wolf form. My senses of hearing and smell were improved. I could run a lot faster. And even sense danger. Which was usually a good thing, but, it got annoying when I wasn't in, or couldn't get into my wolf form. 

I sighed and howled a short tune that Draenan had taught me. He had first taught me the lyrics when we met at a party the summer before, his real name was Dante. When I found out he was a werewolf like me, we suddenly had a closer bond. My grandmother called it the "pack instinct".

Even though I had known about my family's unique ability since I was thirteen, I was still a little skeptical of some of the things my grandmother told me.

Where are you Draenan? I thought. We had said we would meet at this spot the day before at school, and I had been waiting for an hour. That was why I had whistled the tune he had taught me. We had agreed at an earlier meeting that if we ever got lost and needed someone to come to our aid, we would rely on each other, and the howled tune would be our signal.

 ***

 When Draenan did eventually show up, it was almost ten o'clock at night, and he was tired. And wet.

"Where have you been?" I said in lupine. It was a tough language to learn, but necessary so humans wouldn't get freaked out by talking wolves.

"It's a long story." He grunted back while shaking his fur dry and mumbling "That obnoxious little fish." under his breath.

"Possibly a new member of the pack?" I asked, more interested in his story now.

"Maybe. You know how I hate swimming though. She's a god damn otter." He growled. "She said the only way she'd ever join a pack is if the alpha could beat her in a swimming race."

"Well, that's a problem."

"Tell me bout it."

Draenan and I wandered the forest near my grandmother's house for another couple of hours. And we must have lost track of time because after a while my grandmother, in her wolf form, came out and found us.

"Faeorae, you need to come back to the house. It's late." She said. "You too, Draenan."

"Sorry, Grandmother." I said, bowing my head as I walked over to her.

"I'll see you later then." Draenan said to me. "And I'm terribly sorry, Starlae, it was my fault for being late in the first place."

Starlae was my grandmother's wolf name. She had been part of a very strong pack in her youth. And eventually she became the Alpha.

"You're forgiven, youngling. Goodnight."

Draenan bounded off in the direction of his home and my grandmother and I went back to her house.

***

Once inside, and back in clothes, my grandmother told me that starting the next day, she would start telling me the history of the Lupin blood in our family. And why it meant I needed to be careful, especially at night.



© 2013 The Butterfly Writer


Author's Note

The Butterfly Writer
This whole story is also taken from my own account on Wattpad.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice introduction to the story, it flows well and whets the appetite for more. A particularly strong opening line. I also really love all the character names! I couldn't see any errors, though in "You're forgiven youngling" I would use a comma after forgiven- but that's just my preference.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Butterfly Writer

10 Years Ago

Thanks! And that's a good point. I guess I overlooked it when I was typing. That happens sometimes w.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tea
It sounds really interesting I'm looking forward to reading more of it. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


The Butterfly Writer

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I'd love to hear what you have to say about the rest I've posted, I'll try to get a few more.. read more
Tea

10 Years Ago

Awesome can't wait. :)
Nice introduction to the story, it flows well and whets the appetite for more. A particularly strong opening line. I also really love all the character names! I couldn't see any errors, though in "You're forgiven youngling" I would use a comma after forgiven- but that's just my preference.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Butterfly Writer

10 Years Ago

Thanks! And that's a good point. I guess I overlooked it when I was typing. That happens sometimes w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 19, 2013
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: The Butterfly Writer


Author

The Butterfly Writer
The Butterfly Writer

Fayetteville, AR



About
Well, I've done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those who are unfamiliar), once so far and I plan to continue to do it. I also have a Wattpad account with more of my work on it but I'm loo.. more..

Writing