Opened

Opened

A Chapter by The Butterfly Writer

Prompt: “You (or your main character) are driving your pickup truck around the parking lot of a large mall, looking for a spot to park in.Your (or your main character’s) best friend is in the passenger seat, and she’s wondering why you regret the decision you made last night.” 


"I don’t know what your problem is, Alexia." Karri said to me as we searched for a parking space.

There were a thousand places to park at the mall, but today seemed to be the day everyone had chosen to come; but, it was the first Saturday of Summer, so what should we have expected?

"Can’t you just tell me what freakin’ happened last night? I’m your best friend." Karri complained.

She had been trying to get me to tell her what had happened between my ex and I since I met her this morning. 

"It’s just not something I want to talk about." I said, for the eight-thousandth time, as I finished yet another round of the parking lot. "It’s… you know. It’s me and Rory. It’s just… It’s complicated."

"Not so complicated that you would feel you couldn’t tell your best friend I would think…" 

Karri turned her head to look out the window. I should tell her. I knew I should tell her. I told her everything. We had been together so long that I just spilled everything that was on my mind when I was around her whether I was planning to tell her or not. 

But this time was different. I was determined not to tell her what had happened. It was something I wanted to keep between myself and Rory.

"Karri…" I sighed.

She kept her head facing away from me, but turned her eyes just enough so I could see them and know she was still listening. 

"What? What is it?" Karri pressed.

"Well, you know Rory and I have been together for such a long time… And I completely adore him, and I know he loves me. And… I still love him too." I was almost surprised to find myself saying those words.

"So, why do you regret seeing him last night? It seems to me like it was a good thing that you went and saw him. Right? Or did something bad happen between you two?" She finally turned her head to face me. 

I went silent.

"Oh… No… Alexia…" Karri trailed off and didm’t finish her thought.

"We didn’t do anything bad!" I said a little too quickly. "It was just… we were there… at his house… alone… at night." I took a breath before continuing. "And, you know, we got to talking and then he told me he loves me and we kissed and… you know. It didn’t go farther than making out. It’s just cause. I’ve moved on you know? And he’s still crazy about me. I feel crappy about the whole thing. Like I’m… tricking him. I don’t know. That’s a bad way of putting it, but you get my point."

Karri placed her hand on my shoulder and I looked at her and we smiled at each other. We hadn’t really talked like this for a long time. It was nice to be getting so close again. 

"Hey, it’ll sort itself out sooner than you think. We’ll be okay… As long as you don’t hit this car!"

I slammed my brakes and turned just enough to the right, and in just enough time that I missed hitting the car pulling out a couple parking spaces in front of us. Karri and I looked at each other, bewildered but happy to be okay, and burst into laughter.




© 2013 The Butterfly Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on September 20, 2013
Last Updated on September 28, 2013
Tags: The Butterfly Writer, Tumblr, Short Story


Author

The Butterfly Writer
The Butterfly Writer

Fayetteville, AR



About
Well, I've done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those who are unfamiliar), once so far and I plan to continue to do it. I also have a Wattpad account with more of my work on it but I'm loo.. more..

Writing