The Nor'Easter

The Nor'Easter

A Story by Butterfly_Kid

  





It was supposed to be a January night like any other, but a sudden nor’easter swept across the sleepy Connecticut village of Andover without warning. It began slowly in the morning, gently showering flurries that formed unassuming caps of white on every rooftop and car window. Early on, the town was a picturesque greeting card of glittery white and silver, but as the day drew on the little white caps became mountain ranges, and in a short while those mountain ranges became white desert dunes that threatened to cover everything. Naturally, the village was sealed up. Traffic was non-existent, as those with the foresight enough to stay home didn’t dare go out on a day like this. Those foolish enough to try were forced back inside. The windows and doorsteps of houses began to cover completely. Outside, day had broken and had passed into night, but to the townsfolk this change went mostly unnoticed. It was dark inside the houses of the buried little village. It’s that day-long darkness that can bring out the strangest things in people…


Daniel Hascombe was one of the many townsfolk who were smart enough to stay indoors on this day; he called into work at the paper mill early that morning and told the boss he needed to take the day off. Daniel wasn’t sure which sense had told him that today would be a good day to stay home. The nor’easter took the weather stations by surprise. There had been no forewarning on the radio, or the television. Maybe, Daniel had thought, it was because he just had a feeling for these things. Just like how his grandfather knew right when it was about to rain by the sudden phantom pain that struck his right leg---A leg which had been taken by diabetes years before. Or maybe, he thought, it was because it was three years today since his son was taken from him. In fact, it was a snowy day not unlike this one. He remembered falling to his knees and sobbing on the work floor of the paper mill when he got the call. He thought about the grisly appearance of his son’s face and body as he stood over him, half zipped in a body bag that lay silently on the cold steel table of the morgue.


Today, Daniel sat comfortably dozing on his favorite lounger in the living room, a can of beer warming in his hand. The lounger was his favorite because he had managed to wear a perfect groove into its cushions. Ever since that horrible day three years ago, Daniel had spent a lot of time sitting and drinking on his lounger. It was the only activity that made sense to him anymore. Daniel knew it was getting late because his wife had long since gone to bed, but he didn’t bother to check the time. To him, the time didn’t matter on a day like today. He heard the dog next door barking crazily at the wind.

 

On the television, he could see a fuzzy picture of the weatherman pointing erratically here and there at animated images of Old Man Winter moving across the New England countryside. He looked frazzled and confused by the sudden turn in the weather that had evidently blindsided him. Daniel lazily reached for the remote to turn up the volume.


“…Okay folks,” the newscaster was saying, as he brushed the sweat-dampened hair from his brow. “It looks like we’re going to be dealing with this storm system for the next 12 to 16 hours. Things are really piling up out there. On behalf of the news team here at WUHF Tolland, and the State of Connecticut, I have to urge you all to please stay in your homes, and keep your pets safe tonight. This storm is showing no signs of letting up yet…”


Daniel sighed and drew his can of beer to his mouth. He frowned when realized that he had emptied its contents. He set it down, got to his feet slowly, and staggered for the fridge. It was then that he heard the weatherman say something odd. His voice had changed from its exhausted-yet-enthusiastic tone into something much lower, much more sinister. “…And we all know whose fault it is, don’t we?” He asked, now turned toward the screen, his eyes searching for someone. Daniel paused and looked to the television. “What?” He asked himself.


“I said; we all know whose fault it is, don’t we Mr. Hascombe?” He was looking directly into Daniel’s eyes now. “It’s because of that little s**t monster of yours, isn’t it, Mr. Hascombe? Good thing the little freak is dead.”


Enraged and confused, Daniel picked up a heavy glass ashtray that sat on the coffee table and hurled it into the television screen as he let out a frightened wail, “NO!” Sparks flew as the tube went black. Smoke streamed out of the hole that was left, the electric smell of ozone filled the air. Daniel stood there now, his breath was heavy, his vision blurred. He felt light headed, drunker somehow. He heard the neighbor’s dog barking louder. He could hear the wind picking up strength as it lashed at the windows. Just then a loud wham, wham, WHAM came from the front door. It snapped Daniel out of his angry daze.


He turned around to face the door as it slammed open, the wind almost tearing it from its hinges. Blasts of air carried thick, swirling plumes of powdery white into the living room. Little drifts began to form in the corners of the doorway and windows. Daniel walked toward it, flakes of snow gathering in his hair and beard, aging him prematurely.  


As he passed through the threshold and out into the front yard, wearing nothing more than a robe and slippers, he felt the cold of the winter night surround him and consume him. His eyes burned, his vision was failing him. All he could hear was the wind and the sound of…laughter? Was that…children playing?


He could see them now, a group of kids in ski-suits tossing snowballs and being noisy the way kids at play always were. Just beyond the group was a solitary child standing in front of the rounded body of a snowman. His back was turned to Daniel. The group seemed totally oblivious to the blizzard that had been bearing down on them. When they saw him approach, the children abruptly stopped their activities and scattered. All but the boy by the snowman.


Daniel slowly stepped forward, his hand outstretched before him. He was reaching for the boy’s shoulder. He wanted to make contact; he wanted to turn the boy around to face him, to see him again. Everything felt as if it were in slow motion now, the snow drifted and swirled before him in beautiful, dancing patterns. The wind sounded like a whisper. It spoke to him. “Just do it, Daddy. Kill them. Kill them for me. You know I always get what I want.” The whisper turned to a giggle now, it became high and menacing. It cut through the air, it was echoing in his head now. It then spoke again as Daniel took one more infinite step toward the boy. “I just love winter, Daddy…”


Daniel’s hand came down hard on the boy’s solid shoulder; he spun the child around to reveal the frozen corpse of his son, just as he had seen him lying there in the morgue that day. His eyes were a dead milky white. His face and chest had a deep, connecting gash through them. His head was partially split down the right side of his forehead. The gash continued down his throat, to his sternum. Below, his belly and legs were crushed; the features of tire treads peppered his torn and bloodied ski-pants. The boy giggled again, his jaw hinged crookedly as his laughter filled the bitter air. He spoke once more. “Look what I made, Daddy…” The boy moved aside to show his father what he had created. 


The snowman’s torso was covered with bloody handprints from where the boy had been packing on snow. Fine streams of red flowed down the body from a scarfed neck before freezing in place. Daniel expected to see the corn cob pipe, the button nose---and all that---stuck on an oversized snowball. What he saw when he looked up chilled him solid. He felt paralyzed, he felt sickened. He fell to his knees, and turned his head sharply to avert his eyes, but some power drew his eyes upward. He looked into the face of the severed head of the neighbor’s dog. Clumps of frozen blood were stuck to its light brown fur. “Do it Daddy, kill them. Start with that f*****g dog!” The corpse child shot and arm up and pointed to the sick parody of a snowman.


Daniel rose up and tried to run, but his feet were frozen in place, the wind began to rise, its deafening blast became the barking of a dog. The sound grew louder and louder, as the snowman began to move toward him, vicious canine teeth snapped and snarled at him. He screamed. And the barking grew louder...


                                                                       ***


He then jolted back to reality. The distant sound of the neighbor’s dog yapping and howling at the wind had awoken him. He was covered in sweat. The can of beer in his hand had been crushed in his tensed fist. The television before him was playing some obnoxious infomercial about a convenient, at-home snow cone maker. No thanks, thought Daniel, as he wiped the sweat from his brow and rose to his feet. The clock on the wall read 3 o’clock. 


He began to the climb upstairs to his bedroom, when he again heard a whisper. He could barely make it out between the sound of the wind battering the house, and that damn dog barking. “Aren’t you forgetting something, Daddy?” The voice had asked. Daniel paused on the steps and turned toward the door and began to walk, on his way he stopped by the fireplace and grabbed a small axe that they had kept handy on cold evenings. “Give me what I want, Daddy. Do it!


Nearly hypnotized, Daniel walked out the front door and onto the snow-covered lawn. He turned in the direction of the neighbor’s house; in the direction of the barking. A snowplow barreled down the road, the bright yellow monster pulverizing everything in its path. Daniel caught a glimpse of it before it escaped his view, and he thought firstly of his beloved son, and then of killing that dog.


Do it Daddy. For me? Remember how much we loved the winter together? Remember how you’d do anything for me?


“Yes, of course,” Daniel said to himself, smiling darkly as he steadily trudged through the snow toward the neighbor’s house. “Anything for you, son.”


***

 

The next morning, Gerald Howe of Howe’s Plows and neighbor to the Hascombe family stepped out of his snowy bungalow. It looked like it was going to be a nice morning. The storm clouds had cleared, and a deep amber sun was slowly creeping up the horizon. Gerald had just finished locking up his front door as he headed over to start his plow up for another day of cleaning the village streets. As he passed the large bay window in the front of his house, he realized that he hadn’t seen his dog since last night. He hadn’t heard it bark. His eye caught a reflection in the window. It looked like a snowman. But he hadn’t built a snowman…He spun around quickly to see what he had feared was there. A snowman was built in the middle of his front yard, all right, but---


He doubled over and vomited at the sight of his dog’s severed head perched atop a lopsided, bloodied snowman. He worked to compose himself, and got back his footing. He ran to get back inside. To call the police. To call…someone. He was fumbling with his keys when he felt the hot breath on his neck; the tinge of death was in the air around him. He turned to see Daniel Hascombe with a small axe in his hand. His fingers were turning a deep black. The axe’s blade and handle were crusted with frozen red. The man had a sickening grin across his dead and blackened lips. Gerald spoke: “Now Danny, what are you doing with that axe?”


Daniel muttered, “For my boy…anything.”
“What?” Gerald asked.


Daniel began to sob, and shake violently. He swung the axe as he screamed, the axe landing a blow on his neighbor’s neck.


Daniel muttered once again, “Anything”, as his heart began to slow to a stop, and his frostbitten body collapsed into the snow. When his life was almost faded and frozen, he swore that one last thing he could hear was the faint, cheery giggling of his late son. “I love you Daddy.” And Daniel smiled. "I love you too, son..." 

© 2014 Butterfly_Kid


Author's Note

Butterfly_Kid
As always, all criticisms welcome. If you notice any grammatical issues, or you think it's crap, or if you actually like it, please let me know in the comments. And be sure to check out my other submissions, too!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story is well written. I like the way the story progresses I could learn much about writing from reading your work. Have you published any novels?

My only criticism is that you posted this online which might make it impossible for you to publish this work on Amazon.

Posted 9 Years Ago


A great creepy read for the Halloween season. If I have any criticisms, I agree with DeadWolf that I would like to know more about the son and why in his hallucination Daniel's wrath turned toward his neighbor. Otherwise, outstanding!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like the story. It was very well paced and it was captivating for the most part. There were a few things I kept asking myself as I was reading. The main being: what is the purpose of this story? I don't mean that in a bad way, if I had to rate the story it'd get a solid 7 or 8, but it's not inherently clear what you're trying to say. The atmosphere was great, though if it were me I would have toned down how heavy the storm was made out to be. I think snow offers such a beautiful way to incorporate fear. However, if it's too heavy, it starts to feel a little bit like rain. The problem with this is that rain tends to feel very isolating, it forces the reader inward. I feel that snow, when left to be light causes the reader to be pushed outwards from the character. It pushes the reader into the mystery of what's going on. And for this story, as a reader, I was very curious as to what was going on outside the character. I really found myself wanting to know what happened to his son, why he was hallucinating about his son (I presume he was hallucinating), and what his actions while influenced by his late son were meant to say. And if there's anywhere where I think this story could be improved is in the motives present. Why'd he go kill his neighbor? I don't see how that would effect anything. I think that when writing dark stories, especially ones that have a very tragic element to them, it's important for there to be a logic and reason to every action. It causes the story to linger in the readers mind after they're done reading. Overall, you've more than proven that you are quite a good writer. You just need to work a little bit more on stringing things together and making a lasting impression. That's just my two cents though. I can't wait to see what you're gonna put out next.
- DeadWolf

Posted 10 Years Ago


A gruesome polar vortex of a tale... but then, all axe maniacs are gruesome.
I liked how you eased into the story with the first two paragraphs. Nice writing there.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As always, you don't disappoint. I definitely enjoyed this; you seem to have a talent for stories like this. I look forward to your next story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Butterfly_Kid

10 Years Ago

Glad to hear it! I read over some of your stuff, too. So far, I'm pretty darn impressed. I promise I.. read more
Nusquam Esse

10 Years Ago

Good to know my work is impressive to you; such things always stand out more when you genuinely like.. read more
Ahhhh.... wonderfully dark and horrific! Truly a horror story worth telling. Gave me goose bumps dude! Excellent! :) YOU OTHER PEOPLE READ THIS!!! There that'll get'em!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Butterfly_Kid

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much. I'll be sure to return the favor soon and review some of your writing, as well. I'.. read more
Fixed a few formatting issues. Just refresh for the fix.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

682 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 23, 2014
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: Horror, Ghosts, Killer, Home, Murder, Nor'easter, Axe, Snow, Winter, Blizzard

Author

Butterfly_Kid
Butterfly_Kid

Canada



About
Please read and review. All criticisms welcome! -- I write in my spare time. It's as fun a passtime as reading, really. So that's why I do it. As I continue to get feedback and reviews on the chapters.. more..

Writing
Fading Fading

A Story by Butterfly_Kid



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Colorblinds Colorblinds

A Chapter by Nusquam Esse