Urban runner

Urban runner

A Poem by C.smooth
"

A chapter from my book step to the line

"
I look at the large gray clouds form out of my bedroom window, as I put my running shoes on. I walk outside the house with just a clean tee shirt on and a pair of shorts on. I set my watch and start my run around the city. As I start to run the sky gets darker and darker. Little beads of rain fall to the top of head as smoothly run down the street. I leave my peaceful neighborhood, and run next to the busy Annapolis street.

The rain becomes colder soaking my shirt and shorts. But Ignore the coldness as I stride down the sidewalk. People look at me like I am some sort of sideshow as I run by them. The roaring of the cars through me off as I groove around the corner. I tasty nasty exhaust fumes through my nose as they speed by me. Sweat starts to roll down my head as I drive harder and harder, down the street showing of my speed to the people. But that just makes them stare even more. They honk ad shout as I cut across in to a field.

The grass is plush like a teddy bare, and soaks up water like a sponge. The tall trees block out sounds from the streets, as I enter the trails. the soft ground cushions the heavy blows to my feet. I wipe my face with my damp shirt tasting the sweat from my body. The rain hitting the leaves makes me feel one with my surroundings. I leave the peaceful wooded trail back to my cold hard side walk. I watched the blurred rainbow of cars wiz by as I look to my side. Splashing me with slimy muddy water.

I couldn’t shake off my regular since of loneliness that a long distance runner faces. With thousands of eyes looking at me with every step I make, on the hard pavement. But like the true distance runner I block it all out, and prevail through this cold rain. The loud noises from the cars become sounds from nature. I hear young morning birds churp for their mother, I hear the constant buzzing and clicking from the insects moving around me. The smell of city living vanishes, and becomes the sweet smell of a mornings dew. And the warm smells of blossoming spring flowers. The city street becomes a sunny trail next to a quiet lake, with lush green grass going on forever.

But alas it’s a fantasy and I snap back into reality, and grasp my urban surroundings. I finish my run with three laps around my block. I look at homes of all shapes and sizes and colors. The only sounds I hear is my feet hitting the sidewalk. Every step feels like a giant marching down the street. I stop my watch and walk back in to my warm home. Cold hungry and disappointed.

© 2010 C.smooth


Author's Note

C.smooth
This is old I wrote this when I was in the 11th grade, and while I was still in love with so and so

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm liking this, I think you should post the whole book.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Added on April 7, 2010
Last Updated on April 7, 2010

Author

C.smooth
C.smooth

Annspolis, MD



About
I was born on August,23, 1990 in Annapolis, MD. I always had a huge imagination growing up. My writing skills didn't really start to develop till I got into high school. I would love to be like Spi.. more..

Writing
Frustrated Frustrated

A Poem by C.smooth


the cure the cure

A Poem by C.smooth