Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by CreativeCookie
"

5...4...3...2...

"

I cast my glance at the clock. “5...4...3...2...” I thought.

“All students are dismissed for the day.” The recorded, monotone woman’s voice announced.

I quickly stuff my papers in my bag and sling it over my shoulder, then walk out of my history class. I couldn't stop thinking about that boy I bumped into this morning. His chin length, dark brown hair that seemed almost black and shined in the light. And his honey brown eyes with flecks of purple in them. I’m sure he wore contacts, because most normal people’s eyes don’t have flecks of purple in them. And how did he get that scar above his eye? His features, so soft and gentle, were hard and indifferent.

Eventually I made my way to my mother’s small silver car and climbed in the passenger seat, tossing my stuff in the back. I gazed out the window at the passing school, and then I saw him standing in front of the school, huddled around a couple other people. He turned his head to look at me as I passed by, and for a moment, I felt my heart stop at his cold glare, then race. His eyes were dark, but still honey brown with flecks of purple, hidden behind his hair that seemed darker than the last time I saw him.

His breath came out in a puff of white from the bitter cold, his body tense and hands shoved into his jacket pockets. His gaze followed me as we rounded the corner, then we could no longer see each other. I couldn't relax and continued to stare out the window the rest of the ride home.

•••

After dinner and math homework, I read until 7:47 pm, then pulled out my diary and began to write about my day again. At exactly 8 pm, I closed my diary and stuffed it underneath my pillow again, then laid down and went to sleep, hugging my pillow closer to me and curling up under the white comforter. A loud bang awoke me, and when I looked out the window, I noticed that it was pouring rain, lightening turning night into day, splitting the sky in half, then thunder rolling overhead a minute later.

I slowly closed my eyes again and relaxed, knowing that it was just thunder, and a moment later, I fell into a deep sleep. Just as I started dreaming, a loud bang made me snap my eyes open. But this time it didn't sound like thunder, and this time, I wasn't in my safe, comfortable bedroom. Instead, I was laying on the floor in the middle of an unfamiliar room, a dozen or so people hovering above me. I squinted, trying to see their faces, but all I could make out was their silhouettes.

They seemed about 16, not much older than me. I shielded my eyes from the bright light overhead, trying to be able to see, when I heard a gruff voice from one of the silhouettes hovering over me.

“What are you doing here?” The voice asked in a tone that sent a chill down my spine.

“Where am I?” I asked tiredly, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and sitting up.

“You don’t belong here.” The same voice said, then one of the silhouettes turned and walked over towards a corner, and I was finally able to make out his features. “You’re gonna get yourself killed, kid.”

It was that guy from school, the one I bumped into and who watched me leave. He studied me for a moment, looking me up and down, his gaze finally resting on my face, or, to be more specific, my eyes.

“You’re not one of us.” He stated, folding his arms across his chest and leaning against the wall.

“Who are you?” I ask, tilting my head to the side, watching him curiously as he stood there.

“Who are you?” He countered, narrowing his eyes, sending another chill down my spine.

“Krystal.” I replied, feeling anxious from being so close to him. “Who are you?”

He tore his gaze from me and stared at something, and when I followed his gaze I noticed a dirty, blood stained window. My heart sank in fear, then jumped at another loud bang from just outside the double doors, which I just noticed. Two of the men that were hovering over me pulled out a gun and aimed them at the doors, and I noticed the purple in their eyes as well. I scooted over towards the corner in fear, then screamed as the doors burst open and the room was filled with gunshots and bullets.

One of the bullets hit the dirty window and it shattered around me. The guy from school flew across the room and grabbed me, clapping his hand over my mouth and carrying me out the window. Once his feet hit the ground he ran across the field, dodging bullets as he raced for the forest, two of the other people from the dozen following us. We skirted around trees and dodged large rocks, eventually coming upon a cabin in a small clearing. He must have known about this, for there was no visible path.

He set me down on the ground to open the door, then ushered us all inside and told us to hide. One guy, a tall, lanky man, hid in the closet - a tight fit for a man of his size - and the other, a large brute of a man, darted upstairs. I climbed into one of the cabinets under the sink, curling into a tight ball to be able to fit, struggling to breathe from the tight fit, but somehow managing. My heart thudded in my chest, and I was almost sure they could hear it from here. I closed my eyes, praying that this dream would end.

What seemed like an hour later, I heard the main door open, then my cabinet door opened, and I would have screamed had I not seen his face, his hand over my mouth. He gave me one of his famous glares, then turned and looked at the rest of his crew.

“We’ll make base here for now. I’ll take the first watch-” He said.

“What is this, some kind of war zone?” I cried, climbing out of the cabinet.

He turned and glared at me. “That’s exactly what this is.” He replied.

I closed my mouth, realizing I wasn't supposed to say anything.

“Get some rest. all of you.” He instructed, then darted outside again.

The brute that hid upstairs came over to me. “I’m Derek.” He greeted. “Sorry about that. Kathel doesn’t particularly like welcoming new people. Plus, he’s been under a lot of stress lately with the war.”

He had a gruff, husky tone to his voice, added to his build, I could easily see why somebody would be afraid of him. But the way he said things gave him a gentle demeanor. The tall and lanky one that hid in the closet wore a black cowboy hat, which he tipped in greeting towards me, and introduced himself as Lucas in a low voice, thickened by a heavy southern drawl. Derek then proceeded to mess up my hair.

“You’re a smart kiddo. You’ll get used to this.” He said, then the two of them headed upstairs.

I watched them for a moment, then went over and sat down on the couch. I felt exhausted, and within moments, I fell asleep on the shredded couch, only to snap awake a while later when I felt somebody shaking me. My eyes crack open to see the three of them hovering over me.

“What happened to you?” Kathel asked, motioning to my arm.

I looked over and noticed that my left shoulder was caked with blood. I gasped and sat up quickly, and almost immediately I felt something tear on my shoulder and it started bleeding again, then I noticed the glass poking out and knew what had happened. The window...

“This is one heck of a dream.” I muttered, plucking the shiny shards.

“You think this is a dream?” Kathel cried in exasperation.

I nodded, frightened by his sudden change. Lucas gently set a hand on his shoulder, calming him.

“It’s no dream. This is real.” Lucas said in his thick southern drawl that could swoon any girl.

For the first time, I got to see Lucas’s face. He had stunning coral blue eyes with purple flecks and messy blonde hair. Derek had short black hair and dark brown eyes with purple flecks. Lucas darted into the kitchen and returned with a little bit of gauze, wrapping it tightly around my shoulder. A few minutes later, they let me fall back asleep. When I opened my eyes again, I was back in my room, awoken from my alarm going off. I sat up slowly, but a sudden pain in my arm stopped me. I looked over and saw blood. 

I jumped to my feet and saw that my bed was stained red, a large cut on my shoulder. I flicked on my light and rushed over to the mirror and ran my fingers delicately along the cut, my eyes wide. After a few minutes, I walked out of my room and into the bathroom, cleaning off my shoulder, then headed back into my room and got ready for school, still a little shaky. This made no sense, none whatsoever...



© 2013 CreativeCookie


Author's Note

CreativeCookie
Silent Wolf wrote this one, so talk to her. Thanks!
Love,
CreativeCookie

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
Added on November 13, 2013
Last Updated on November 26, 2013


Author

CreativeCookie
CreativeCookie

Tuscaloosa, AL



About
I love to write, read, sing, and act. I write all kinds of things songs, poems, stories all that kind of thing in all different genres. I mostly do fantasy, though, it's my favorite! Someday I hope to.. more..

Writing
Stop Stop

A Poem by CreativeCookie