The Unmanning of James Kidd

The Unmanning of James Kidd

A Story by Charlotte V. Patrick
"

A short piece exploring the attitudes to sex and gender roles in the piratical era, created for one of my Masters projects.

"

The Unmanning Of James Kidd


The pirate republic of Nassau was busy, the chill night air alive with the drunken shouts of sailors and the squeals of wenches plying their trade in the back alleys. The night had fallen hours before, beckoning the captain and crew of 'The Royal Phoenix' ashore to indulge in the pleasures the island had to offer. James Kidd nodded to Capitan 'Calico' Jack Rackham as he swiped a cask of rum from a bystander and laughing made his way up the sandy track to the 'Old Avery' Tavern. James sighed, the quiet of the ship was something that he savoured, the silence was uncommon aboard a ship full of rowdy men, and sat himself cross legged upon a barrel on the quarter deck. He used his hands for support and leaned his head back watching the stars.

He was so engrossed in his pastime that he ignored the sound of footsteps that made their way up the wooden steps before him, or the swish of skirts as they dragged across the rough wood of the ship.

“Still 'ere Kidd? Thought you'd want to sate your need for passions ashore?” The lilting Irish accent of Anne Bonny washed over his body like a cooling wave laps at a ship's hull. Raising his head to look at her he quirked a half smile, blue eyes locking with her glittering green ones.

“Not tonight.” He answered shortly, his interactions with the woman had always been short and course. She had always paid him more heed than necessary, a habit which he knew irked Calico Jack, Anne's lover, and a well established one, the grunts and pleasures screams escaping the captain's cabin on a nightly basis were hard to ignore.

“A drink then per'aps?” She looked taken aback by his lack of answer, his only motion being a staunch pursing of his lips. “Come on Kidd, it's naught but a drink.”

She produced a bottle, that she had held hidden behind her back. With another sigh Kidd hopped down from the barrel, knowing that he would never win against the persuasive pirate queen.

“Aye. A drink it is.”

Anne beamed at his consent her red stained lips pulling back into a wide smile that lit up her entire face. “Come along with me.” She held a dainty, long fingered hand out to him. Kidd swallowed looking between the offered hand and his own. “I don't bite you know.” She uttered, laughing at his hesitation.

Taking hold of his hand Anne led them down to the stairway and to the captain's cabin. They stopped in the doorway while Anne dipped her hand into her bodice, searching for they key that was wedged between her corset and breasts.

“The captain's cabin? Are you trying to get me flogged?” Kidd asked, an ounce of humour running through the low tones of his voice.

“I have a key, if there's any trouble; leave Rackham to me, I know how to handle him.” Anne winked as she slid the key into the lock, it turned with a whining click.

“So I hear.” Kidd mused as he followed the red head into the room.

“Sit my dear, and drink.” She encouraged him as she locked the door behind them a devious smile plastered across her pretty face.


As the evening progressed, the number of empty bottles that scattered themselves across Rackham's desk and floor grew. Kidd slumped across the captain's chair, one leg hooked over an intricately carved arm and his head lolled back into the leather cushioning, eyes watching Anne as she giggled uncontrollably, the movements of her body causing the table she lay on to shudder beneath her.

“He actually thought it'd impress me, I mean I've seen daggers bigger than that.” She joked, resting her chin on her hand, green eyes slowly trekking over Kidd's prone form.

Kidd snorted derisively, lazily bringing a bottle to his lips. He closed his eyes as he savoured the sweet liquor. A shuffle of material signalled Anne's movement as she slid off of the table edge, kneeling on the floor by his feet. Her long fingers traced delicate patterns on the tatty material of his trousers. Kidd's eyes flew open and he choked on his throatful of rum.

“What are you doing?” His voice was husky as he stared down at Anne, one hand stopping hers as they inched towards the waistband of his breeches.

“I always get what I want, James Kidd.”

Kidd held his breath and tried to push her hands away from his body. “I am not what you want Anne.”

The red head laughed and ducked her head, looking up at him through thick, dark eyelashes. “Oh, I think you are.”

Kidd leapt up quickly, nearly knocking his chair over in the process. He tugged on the bronze handle of the cabin door. But Anne's hand stopped him, tugging on the long ends of the red bandanna that held his long dark hair out of his face. As the slip of material fell away a mane of thick dark hair surrounded his face.

“You're a ...” Anna started, a gasp leaving her throat as she slowly turned Kidd to look at her.

“The name's Mary Read, to me mum and those I care for.” Kidd said meekly as she dropped the deep voice she had coined for her male persona.

“doesn't matter.” Anne said with a sweet smile, her dainty fingers lifting Mary's chin. “You still have beautiful eyes.”

Mary swallowed heavily and leaned her face into Anne's warm palm.

“What about Jack?” She asked, voice thick with an unknown emotion.

“Don't you worry about Jack, as I said, I'll handle him.”

© 2016 Charlotte V. Patrick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on January 14, 2016
Last Updated on January 14, 2016
Tags: pirates, sex, mystery, gender