6

6

A Chapter by Cadel

6

The sky burst with orange as the sun fell behind a pot of scarcely watered flowers dangling from the wooden picket fence.  Winnie had been asleep in the living room for close to thirty minutes and Vivian sat in the backyard with what was left of the day.  A cool breeze forecast the night’s appearance. In what light remained, she could make out a carving in a wooden panel on the fence: ‘Win + Viv.”

She fell into a memory of that bright June day, almost 40 years ago.  The sun was gracing the side of a newly built and freshly painted white picket fence.  Brilliant flowers in hand, Vivian stepped through the back door and to see Winnie on his knees, scraping the shape of ‘Win’ in a small spot.  He turned to his side gleaming with an invitation and she knelt beside him to etch ‘Viv’. She hung the flowers beside the carving and the two sat on a metal grated bench with a bright, floral seat cushion, and intertwined for the rest of the day.  The wood was without age then, their life, without change. Everything, in that moment, was as it should be.

Vivian now sat on a weather-cracked and sun-bleached cushion tied to a rusted metal bench.  Ahead of her, the night had almost entirely fallen, but a light from the living room window illuminated a brown picket fence with chipping, white paint and a crooked, hanging pot full of drooped over flowers with leaves that would crumble from any touch.

Beside the pot, cut deep into the surface, was ‘Win + Viv’.  Tears coated her eyes and the empty spot beside her became an empty spot inside her.

She thought about how every time she sees him now, she fools herself, just for a second, into thinking that everything's alright.  When she looks at him, memories flash through her mind, but not his.

“Sometimes I wonder if I would mind if he died.  The person I knew, the person he was, is already gone.  Now he’s only a reminder of the joy, the pain, the shared laughs, the years gone by, and a reminder that I'm the only person left on earth who knows that history.”  She thought.

She thought about Darius and about how, without having to be responsible for him, she would likely have no desire to live.  Darius was now scattered all through her mind and everything was coming back to Darius. A vibration startled her and she picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Annie, just wanted to let you know, Darius is here and safe.”

“Oh!  Bless your heart Annie!  Please tell him Mee Maw wants him home tonight.”

The phone mumbled and she began worrying that Darius wouldn't be home.

“Tell him I have donuts!”

The phone mumbled again.

“He said he’ll be home.”  Annie's voice resembled an angel’s.

“Oh, thank goodness!  Bye bye now, darling.”

“Bye!”

She wondered what Darius would have done if he hasnt come home and then realized the impossibility of him doing anything else.  What would Darius do without her? Is it even possible that he could ever live on his own? What would happen when she was gone?  Could he even get or keep a job? She began to think of Darius’ days in college.

Darius went to Brown University, but of course, everyone knew that within four minutes of talking to him.  His tuition was paid for directly by his grandparents and created a debt which they still haven't entirely paid off.  He graduated at the top of his class, but has done essentially nothing with his education. It has impacted neither his working life, nor his intellectual life, both of which had little to no traction.  She thought of her daughter, Susan, Darius’ mother.

Susan was the youngest of her two daughters, both of which lived in Arizona and scarcely contacted their parents.  Darius was birthed by accident and given that Susan hardly had the means to support herself, Vivian took custody. Aside from financial reasons, Vivian felt Darius’ moral upbringing was a top priority, plus she didn't want a grandson raised among “desert trash culture.”

Darius was always a top performer in his class and was brilliantly creative.  He would often finish his work early and amuse his classmates, until, all at once, he withdrew from his social life.

“I need not participate in that which I do not understand.”  Said a ten year old Darius. From that point on, he kept to himself and had only his reading and writing as an outlet.  Pinpointing the exact cause of his shift in behavior is difficult, but it is worth noting that around this time, his closest friend, Annie, was adjusting her social values.  From a sense of obligation, Annie blended with the ‘in’ crowd, but remained a character of strong principal. It was her authenticity that garnered both resentment and respect from the other girls.  

“Did I take my pill?” Winnies voice disrupted from behind, making her jump, then turn quickly facing him.

“I-I don’t rem… Yes… Yeah you did,”  She assured him.

“Oh geez, I just about took another one!” He tapped his palm to his forehead wittingly.

“Come on and sit down, it's been a long day.”  

With the help of the rough handrail, he dallied down the steps to the bench, upon which Vivian had been sitting.  The brisk air held the night still and prompted Vivian to turn her hand over to Winnie, who interlocked his fingers with hers.  She could feel that all strength had left his hand.

“Do you remember that day, how hot it was, when you built this fence?”  Her eyes were fixed on the carving.

“See, I thought that fence looked pretty damn well built”  Winnie radiated and they laughed resolutely. Vivian’s eyes scrolled up the fence, as her head tilted back and rested on his shoulder.  In this moment, she didn't need him to remember.

The moment slipped away when some bustling and the third movement of Mozart’s 40th emanated from the kitchen.

“Oh, Darry must be home!” She started up while Winnie thumped his finger against the cold metal armrest.  The two crossed the stone path to the door and entered the house. Nearly four of the donuts had disappeared and the rest were either torn apart or in Darius’ hand.

“Look who it is! The master evictor and enforcer of all that is ill in this world!”  He was struggling to swallow a ball of glazed donut.

“Darry, stop it! You act like I have a choice!” She helped Winnie into the living room, then returned to the donut massacre.

“You know, I have an inkling of suspicion that perhaps you, too, are mentally unsuited to make such decisions at present.” He was looking sternly at his Mee Waw.

“I have to, the doctors said!”

“If a doctor said jump from a height, would you obey?”

“Besides, the basement is much more space and privacy for you, it would be nice!”  She watched him shove a bite into his mouth and lick a thick coating from each finger.

“Save your words for trying to jog that half-wits’ memory.  I am no charity case, and I am no helpless animal. I shall set off tomorrow on procuring an income.”  He beat the metal cane tip against the floor.

“Oh honey that's great!  You can borrow one of Papa’s suits and Mee Maw can spiff you all up for the interview!”  She had some hope in her grandson.

“A job interview? Ha!  I presume you speak in jest!”  He stood upright and Mee Maw sat sensing a speech coming.  “Oh a job interview she says! My plan is of much greater quality than that!  I will accept nothing less than recompense equivalent to and worthy of my intellect.”

She remained silent, knowing he would go on.

“You see, my plan is simple and founded in basic concrete laws.  The economic principle of supply and demand is undoubtedly at play regarding money and products.  So, it has become clear to me that such a principal can extend to the exchange of ideas.”

The side of her face was being supported by her hand in an impatient manner.

“If I were to generate a demand for my ideas, advertise them to the people, if you will:  I could then supply them with the ideas via paid books. As of now, no one desires my ideas, because no one knows they exist!  It's a matter of informed consumers! If the consumers were aware of my ideas, they would flock in countless numbers.” He stood triumphantly behind beside the scoured box of donuts.

“Honey, why don't you get a regular job, at least in the meantime.  You can still enlighten and get demand and stuff even if y-”

“Don't be foolish!  You haven't the slightest idea of what you speak.  If you could grasp the ideas which I have formulated, you would know the impossibility of that.”  His fist pounded the table and Mee Maw lifted her head from her hand.

“Ok, Ok, make your demand and what not.  As long as it will work and you'll have a place to live.”  She wondered the cost of drywall and carpet in the basement, knowing Winnie couldn't do either.

“I am going to bed.  I must be rested for such a busy day tomorrow.”   



© 2018 Cadel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on March 29, 2018
Last Updated on March 29, 2018

Darius Keyonnie

1

By Cadel

2

By Cadel

3

By Cadel

4

By Cadel

5

By Cadel

6

By Cadel

7

By Cadel

8

By Cadel


Author

Cadel
Cadel

About
I'm a college student. more..

Writing