The Year...Personified

The Year...Personified

A Story by Grace Gammello
"

Meet the seasons and the months in this small excerpt of a meeting between fictional, personified characters.

"

Summer herded her months away from the glass doors, which proved an effectively entertaining stalling point. The months had been making faces in the warped glass, and protested when peeled away from their source of fun. Summer herself, though much more responsible than her younger months, couldn't help smile at the silliness of their faces despite leading them away.

"We're early anyway, Summer!" July grumbled as Summer reached forward to break the time barrier. He tugged on her yellow shirt sleeve.

Summer gently shouldered his hand away, trying to keep steady hands as she worked on the barrier. "I know. But we get first choice of food." She pointed out with a smirk, etching lines into the glass time barrier with her fingernail.

Summer, you guessed it, the personification of the season itself, was on her way to the monthly meeting attended by the personifications of all the seasons and each and every month. Since Summer was, well, summer, July, June, and August were part of her faction and traveled with her. Currently, they were outside the time barrier. Every meeting held by the yearlings, as they were called, were held within the barrier, where time did not exist. This allowed the yearlings to basically enter and exit within a millisecond and therefore miss nothing in the world, although they could be in the meeting hall for hours. It was a tedious project; getting into the barrier. The long, correct code had to be etched into the warping glass, and when it was accepted, the glass absorbed its entrees.

Finally, Summer scratched the last motion into the glass, impressively avoiding each and every of July's pokes and prods. She knew them by heart now. "July, stop that! You guys can step forward now." She shoved July toward the glass. He responded with an obnoxious whimper, and the glass began to flow and twist at his ankles. June and August stepped forward next to him, and Summer brought up the rear. The glass began to envelop the yearlings, an icy numbness climbing with it. Summer's head began to feel a bit fuzzy as the glass hit her neck, and soon she drifted into a greying faint.

She awoke on the foam entry floor of the meeting hall. Beside her, June was already awake, helping July up. August was stirring, so Summer got to her own feet, helping him up, the previous fuzzy feeling gone. "Well. Time to raid the buffet," she decided immediately. July whooped, now standing, and ran past her, shoving a pair of oak double doors open, revealing a shining, golden, high ceilinged hall with criss-crossed tile floor. Several arched windows lined the far walls, and browned vines were beginning to bloom up the walls, reaching for the chandeliers. A few doors to other rooms were scattered around, and a large, oak table stood proudly in the center of the room, surrounded by embroidered chairs created to portray each month or season individually. A slight amount of silver was still clinging to the arches and corners from the winter months. The room changed as the months changed, and since it was now March, the room was adopting a more lively and sunny feel, despite the still existent chill.

July was already at the buffet table to the right, with June right behind him. August sauntered over more slowly, and Summer headed for the table, feeling the nice oak beneath her fingertips once again. Her tanned fingers contrasted, yet almost blended, with the dark coffee wood. She sighed. This table held so many memories for her. So many decisions, so many arguments, so many smiles. So much family.

Running a hand through her short, blond hair, Summer lowered her thin, tall frame into her embroidered chair: it was stitched with pale greens and yellows, with detailed pinks, whites, and occasional blues, which created a delicately intricate design that represented Summer. Gold, small half spheres lined the edge of the fabric, attaching it to the wooden frame beneath it. It sank with her weight comfortably.

June soon sat herself down beside her, slapping a towering plate of food down on the table. Summer reached for a miniature sandwich, knowing June was the only chance she had to mooch food off of. July and August would slap her hand away.

Just as she thought, she let Summer take food, though with a sigh. June was a kind month, a bit younger looking, with a petite frame and willowy stature, almost appearing mousy. She had dirty blond, straight hair, usually pulled into a ponytail, and curious grey eyes. Though a bit naive and easygoing, she could be very playful and also extremely helpful.

July, on the other hand, was an attractive male looking as if he were eighteen. Of course, all the months were way older than what they appeared, but July still acted like he was that age. He sported an obnoxious attitude and an extreme intensity, though he was never too serious about anything. He was slowly learning how to be responsible, but his heart lay with fun. His hair was wild and brown, and his eyes were such a bright blue that they were hard to peer directly into. His smile was always large and his heart was just as big; many quieter months disliked his dramatic hugs. Summer always found him an untamable ocean.

Then there was August. Close in looks to Summer herself, besides his more muscular frame and boyish nature, he had blond hair with sun-kissed skin. His eyes were closer to grey, with specks of brown, almost resembling marbles. At first, condescending could be a fitting word, but after looking closer at his personality and heart, it was easier to tell that he was simply stoically independent and consistently thinking. He was a mischievous month; loving also to tease his brother July. He had a love for inventing, and he wasn't afraid to state his opinion. At times, he could also be very playful, but he was rarely gentle. Despite that, Summer knew she could trust him the most, because unlike June, who was prone to peer pressure, and July, who was too loud-mouthed, August could hold a secret and was trustworthy to complete any task she asked of him.

All three months, with Summer occasionally stealing off June's plate, were chowing down on their wondrous and unbelievable piles of food when the Falls entered. They all walked in in unison, with Fall himself holding up the rear. September and August greeted each other right away; September's face brightening when he saw his close friend. He was a tall, thinner male, though very confident in posture, and his brown-red hair contrasted his sky blue eyes heavily. September was friendly and gentle, though hardworking and handy, and tried to add light-heartedness to every situation in balance with realism. He loved beauty and the pursuit of knowledge, which was why he and August were close.

October greeted Summer with a nod and smirk. His hidden mischievous nature was always whirring within him, and though he was also hardworking, he was much more playful than the rest of the Fall months. His bright orange hair was swept to one side, and his bright hazel eyes shone consistently. He was just as tall as September, but more strong.

November simply nodded, keeping a straight face when the Summer months greeted him. He had dark, wavy hair and dark eyes, matching his studious features and quiet nature. He sat immediately down in his chair; embroidered with browns and reds. Though a lover of delicacy and foods, his responsibility and priority of being here for the meeting overrode the beeline for the buffet table.

Fall was a joyous, though studious, man. He was friendly but understanding and a bit opinionated. He had dark, short hair and glasses, and matched the height of his boys, though his stature was a bit thicker. He loved knowledge and justice, so he usually helped run the meetings.

"Hello, Summer," he greeted with a smile. Summer and Fall were on great terms, always assisting each other and keeping in contact. Summer always looked up to the colors and beauty of his season, and she knew Fall loved the way she and her months valued fun.

"Hey Fall." She returned his smile. Though they'd never admit it, July and October tended to tease them about enjoying each others' company a bit more than normal. Summer could feel a blush rise to her cheeks when Fall handed her a lemonade he had snatched from October, who was pouting to his left. "Thanks," she said gratefully, chugging down the drink. "How you enjoying March's month?" She asked politely when finished.

Before Fall could respond, October butted in, as if for revenge. "Oh, you know, its wet." He decided, taking time to talk. "The colors are cool and all, but I still love orange more." He gestured to his hair and June rolled her eyes.

July laughed. "And that's why you're so proudly sporting the bright pink bracelet February gave ya," he teased, pointing at the leather bracelet on his right wrist. August stifled a laugh, his eyes shining with amusement. September couldn't even hold himself back when October started to blush.

"It's to symbolize my peace treaty with the twins!" He defended, sticking out his tongue. Even November cracked a smile at that lie.

Of course, to October's mass luck, the February twins sidled up next to him right as he said that. The Winters had arrived.

The personification of February was shared by both a male and a female; fraternal twins. The male version was athletic and attractive, with pale skin, faded brown hair, and light blue eyes. He was majorly charismatic and smooth, and had a habit of flirting with every female month available. June was the automatic victim of his wink greeting today. He loved style and materialistic things, and his sister was very similar in both looks and personality. Her hair was shoulder-length and tied part back in a pink bow. This past year, her flirting victim had been poor October, who loved to pick fights with the Spring months. Of course, he had begun to make an exception for female February. Everyone called the twins by their 'human' names unless it was obvious which one they were speaking of.  The male was Adrien, and the female Carrie.

Carrie was now leaning cutely on October's shoulder, causing his blush to get worse. "What was that about my bracelet?" She giggled, and her twin high-fived her. They continued to tease him, with July cutting in his own smart comments, while Summer turned to face the other Winters.

January was touching the remaining silver on the archways across the room, forever sentimental of Winter's touch on the earth when it was not Winter's season. His grey-white hair reflected the sunlight, and he looked washed out under the bright yellow.

December was at the buffet table, because, unlike November, she did not prioritize her responsibility over her love for food. Her silvery hair was let loose, falling down to her waist. Her eyes were always kind and loving, and the silver glow they held was mesmerizing. She delicately plucked a small grape out of a bowl, reveling in its small and dainty beauty, before sucking it into her innocent mouth with barely any movement. At least ten more followed. Summer, being the health fiend she could be, didn’t understand how little December stayed so willowy. She watched with curiosity as December continued picking around the shiny silver dishes of food with a strange gentility, before her thoughts got completely interrupted by a face directly in hers. Winter himself glued his eyes to Summer’s, and she blinked with surprise at his appearance. “Wow, ok, kill me with shock!” She heaved, pushing him out of her face. His arms were cold to the touch, sending unwanted shivers up Summer’s own warm, tan skin. She knew Winter enjoyed imposing his cold demeanor, literally, upon her, for since they were opposites, she hated the unneeded cold.

Winter laughed, his voice sparkling like bells. “Sorry, don’t want you freezing up on me.” He joked with a flick of a thin, white wrist, stroking his icy silver hair out of his eyes. He was thin and a bit overwhelming, though intriguing. He had a mystery and almost silent beauty around him when he wasn’t speaking.

Summer rolled her eyes at his bad humor. “I’m too hot for that,” she shot back, sticking out her tongue and earning a food garbled laugh from July, who had turned to watch the whole ordeal. 

Winter rolled his eyes. “Better to be cool than hot.” He stated with a false wisdom, pointing to the air to emphasize his point.

Of course, his Ghandi moment was cut short but an annoyed October shoving, only half teasingly, poor September into the fragile-looking season. A shrill, though attemptedly manly, shout of ‘I’m NOT in love with her!’ following it. September, being good-natured, only laughed, apologized to a confused looking Winter, and poked October in the side, teasing him further about Callie, who was obviously getting a kick out of it also, whispering apparently hilarious things about her victim to little June.

It probably could have gone on for ages if the loud thumping of what sounded like bricks resonated throughout the oak table. Everyone stopped mid action at peered over to the head of the table. March, in all her tough, womanly glory, stood with her hands on her hips, looking relieved to set down the large pile of folders and papers before her. April, a tiny blond thing with adorable wrists that she was currently playing with, stood next to her, zoning out the fact that everyone was looking at them. May was on the other side of April, looking horrified at the giant thud the papers made, as if he expected them to break the table. He was shorter and thinner, with mousy to the point of gray hair, and skin with a hint of pink. He could hold a genuine conversation, and his conservative optimism was popular with the rest of the yearlings. April, with her long blond hair, blue eyes, and petite frame, was known for her naive and innocent attitude, though it created in her a wondrous enthusiasm for small details and every living thing. Spring herself was on the other side of March, scanning the meeting hall with a pleased and refreshed look on her face. She was simple in looks, with hair the color of June’s pulled into a straight ponytail, and gray eyes like May’s, but beautiful nonetheless, and kindly mothering in nature.

© 2015 Grace Gammello


Author's Note

Grace Gammello
Any more ideas for other scenarios or character traits? Input always helps!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this story. Using month and memories to create thoughts and places for the reader. I like the flow of the story. You held my interest till the last words. The months and seasons are a nice subject to write about. Easy to draw real life into the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent story. I like the complete tale.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 20, 2015
Last Updated on June 20, 2015
Tags: year, seasons, months, meeting, personified, characters, fictional, fun

Author

Grace Gammello
Grace Gammello

MN



About
Aloha, I'm an aspiring artist, novelist, and simply passionate writer. It's mostly a hobby for me, as I always have something else to attend to. I love fiction and philosophical works, along with aest.. more..

Writing
Bloom Bloom

A Poem by Grace Gammello