How Callisto Got His Name

How Callisto Got His Name

A Story by Callisto
"

Just a cute little story ^^; Callisto is a character I use alot, he either appears as a wolf or a human.

"

They met many years before on a clear spring day. The sun was bright and warm and she in her wisdom sat on the porch taking in the day.  The world treated her to a surprise when a beautiful white dog trespassed in her front yard. She paid it only minor attention, mentioning to the event to her friend on the other end of the phone.  She paid so little attention is caught her by surprise when a cold nose brushed up against her leg. It was a shock to her system she jumped a bit while the canine wagged mischievously.  Speaking urgently with her friend on the phone she drew her legs up into the porch swing. The dog sat back patiently and panting happily. With no one in the house behind her and her friend several minuets away she began to panic. The dog’s head tilted to the side, one ear perked the other flopping over itself. It stood up on its hind legs balancing itself on its forepaws in the seat of the swing. She took a chance believing the kind face and reached out to it.
    It was a soothing feeling for both, the smooth fur on his forehead rubbing against her palm. She felt slight pressure as he pressed against her palm.
“Nice” she whispered calmly
She received another shock as it hopped up in the chair with her sending them both swinging lazily. He didn’t give it a second thought as he rolled up in the seat resting his head on her knee. She laughed scratching him across his head and down the back. The stiff muscles in his back relaxed under her touch. A few serene moments passed before the dog rose to its feet suddenly. It seemed focused on something invisible to the naked eye. She watched sadly as it ran into her yard and up the street out of view.
It was then she remembered her friend on the phone.
“Hello…Yes…I’m alright..” she spoke into the receiver.
    Several weeks passed, she often glanced out the window to see if the dog came back. It crossed her mind that he may have been run down by a car or captured by animal control. She searched her memories, wondering if he had a collar.
Just when memories of him were an off white speck in the distance he would appear again, squeezing through the porch’s fence posts like a golden eyed viper. He said hello the same way, a cold shock to the back of the leg from under the porch swing.
"Well hello again" she let him into her lap
"I should name you, everyone needs a name."
She thought to herself while scratching him behind the ears. His paw thumped a beat on the seat.
"Thumper? No, that’s no name for a dog. I've got just the ticket."
She pushed him away gently until he got the idea and hopped down to the floor.
"Stay" she commanded, wondering if he knew any tricks
He seemed to understand, plopping his butt on the floor and cocking his head to the side. She disappeared inside while he remained glued into place. She enjoyed astronomy but was no buff and took a reference. Half expecting him to be gone she was quite surprised to see him lay eyes on her outside.
"Good boy" she sat in the swing and patted to invite him
Opening the book, fate seemed to pick Jupiter.
"This one has alot of moons, which one is for you?"
His ears popped up between her and the book as if he were going to read for her.
"How about this one? Callisto?" she showed him the picture. He closed in, leaving a trail on the page where he sniffed.
"Callisto it is. I'm going to ask if I can keep you." she smiled like a mother.
"Though, I suppose now that I know your name, I should introduce myself. Its-"
Out of the blue Callisto exploded into a sharp bark and turned fleeing the porch.
"Callisto! Callisto? What a strange dog" she stammered

© 2009 Callisto


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You should definitely write more like this. Continue it on perhaps? The point in which you stopped... there is potential there for it to go in all sorts of directions! ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Added on October 7, 2009
Last Updated on October 12, 2009

Author

Callisto
Callisto

NC



About
I am Callisto and I love life! more..

Writing
The End? The End?

A Poem by Callisto


The Last Rain The Last Rain

A Story by Callisto


Breeze Breeze

A Poem by Callisto