Kimbel

Kimbel

A Poem by Emma

Kimbel

Once there was a valiant prince of the human world.

Who, being both brave and handsome, was famous over the bounds of the deep seas.

One day, while returning from a heroic exploit,

He came across a faerie princess, sitting with her maids near the river Lyst.

“Fair maid,” said he, “What is your name and where do you hail from?” She replied,

“I am Giselle, daughter of King Oneus. Who are you, brave knight? Clad in the bright,

 Armor of a hero?” He answered her, “I am, but a vagabond.

Charmed, by your grace and beauty.” Although, later admitting that he was Prince Kimbel.

Over the summer months, the two royals fell deeply in love.

Till one day, Giselle arrived with tears streaming down the two white pillars of her cheeks.

She proclaimed that a dragon had laid waste to the faerie palace.

Now, her father offered her hand in marriage to the man who could slay Hades’ slave.

Not heading the ardent protests of Giselle, Kimbel departed.

He would rather be a dead man than see her in the arms of another.

Upon reaching the faerie court, he demanded an audience,

With the noble and distinguished, lord over the faeries, King Oneus.

Kimbel was brought forth to the crown-bearer, who sat upon his throne,

With a shroud of melancholy wrapped around his bent shoulders.

The hero bowed low, “Good lord Oneus, of whom the poets sing.

I have come from the human realm to fight the beastly terror,

Who slaughters the innocent child and brings the mighty to their knees.

You may look upon my countenance and see only a weak human,

But I am not. I am Prince Kimbel, son of the famous King Kerke.

I have fought many a lethal monster and stared death itself in the face.”

The King, being charmed by the hero’s bravery, invited him to stay,

Not knowing the deep love Kimbel and Giselle had for one another.

Following a great feast, they retired in the remnants of the palace.

Kimbel, knowing the dragon flew at night, held his sword close as he slept.

During the darkest hour of night, when all was an inky cloud,

A dark shape ambled nearer, two burning furnaces were its eyes.

Without warning, it snapped a faerie knight in its iron jaws.

Most remained asleep, but Kimbel, heard the sickening snap of bones.

The mortal hero jumped up with his sword at the ready.

Lysander, the deathly shadow-wraith, looked upon the man with contempt.   

Hatred filled his black heart at the mortal’s audacity.

The enemy of nature, opened his great mouth and spewed tongues of fire.

The two fought, making such a noise that the entire faerie court was aroused.

Mayhem broke loose as knights began throwing swords and spears at the beast’s head,

But soon they realized, that their sharp weapons merely glanced off the dragons steel scales.

Their bold efforts were to no avail and all fled, except for brave Kimbel.

More than once, his skin was seared by the fiery breath of Lysander;

Also, in vain, he attempted to pierce the beast’s steely scales.

Finally when all seemed lost and both enemies were growing tired,

Kimbel severed a great, jagged boulder with his still sharp sword;

Then, with the last of his strength, he pushed the stone onto the dragon’s scaly right arm.

The slave of Hades, screamed in pain at the weight of the crushing boulder,

And as his mouth was open, Kimbel threw his shining sword between the wide jaws.

Again the beast released a blood curdling shriek and spreading his black wings,

Took flight into the starless sky while blood still flowed profusely from his severed arm.

Faeries watched Lysander, as he flew, then fell into the Abyss of Serpents.

The hero was triumphant and King Oneus kept his promise to the human.

So Kimbel and Giselle were married, and lived happily ever after.

 

The End           

 

© 2015 Emma


Author's Note

Emma
This is an epic I had to write for school and I had so much fun writing it I thought I would share :)
Side note: An epic is like a poem except that alliteration rather than rhyme sets up the rhythm.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not your typical piece of poetry but still beautiful! Has that feel of a poem but has your own personal touch which I felt and I love! You're very creative and talented hey, I like reading your stuff

Take care and keep writing

Aphy

Posted 8 Years Ago


Emma

8 Years Ago

Thanks allot :)
Wow, this is amazing. A nice nod to the typical stories and fairy tales, but also with your own style and take on it. Very creative, I loved reading this :) brilliant piece of writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Emma

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2015
Last Updated on September 19, 2015
Tags: fantasy, fiction, romance, epic, poetry

Author

Emma
Emma

Canada



About
Hello! I am seventeen years old and I live in Canada. I enjoy writing, reading, composing, playing my violin, singing, riding my horse, and drawing. So needless to say I have many hobbies! It is my dr.. more..

Writing
Red Riding Hood Red Riding Hood

A Story by Emma


Blood Rose Blood Rose

A Book by Emma