Day 1: waking up next to him.

Day 1: waking up next to him.

A Chapter by Carrie Maya

I usually hit the hay before 11 and he stays up to read the news online. Which means I’m up before him most mornings, but that’s okay with me. Because it means I can bask in the delusion that I’m not falling to pieces when I think of myself as separate to him. 

Snuggling against his back�"and pulling the green doona up to my chin�"I take a moment to appreciate the peeled cream paint on the Art Deco cornices, the musty smell of him on the sheets, the pile of my belongings that have accumulated at the foot of his bed over the last couple of months. 

I notice the absence of heart palpitations and smile. When I’m out on my own, doing what I have to do, I usually need to take 5mg of Valium to avoid panic attacks. But waking up beside Ben anchors me: I’m not going to end up on the street again. His home feels like home to me. 

I close my eyes and fall back asleep.



© 2015 Carrie Maya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on March 24, 2015
Last Updated on March 24, 2015


Author

Carrie Maya
Carrie Maya

Morwell, Victoria, Australia



About
Heya! I'm Carrie Maya. I've been involved in the Melbourne Spoken Word scene for a few years and have also just released a memoir called 'Chase Down Your Freedom' which is about my time in a religious.. more..

Writing