Butterflies

Butterflies

A Story by Casey Francis

She sat in her room. Another day passed by that brought her further into the abyss of dark emotions and mental images. Nothing changed. People still avoided her. They knew of her ability, but no one found it special. Her talent didn't hurt anyone but her. Every time she used it, it took a little piece of her with it. The more she thought about the abandonment that came with her talent, the more she wanted to end everything.


She held up her hand and closed her eyes. Her palm upturned, she focused on who she wanted to see, her only temporary friends. When she opened her grey eyes again, she saw her fluttering friends. In the palm of her hand were butterflies. They flew in circles and glowed of all colors. The tears slowed as she greeted them for the short time they would have together.


She watched the gentle figures float in circles in her hand. She knew time was running out, but she didn't want them to leave her. She didn't feel so alone in their company. They made her feel special for being able to make them appear. They didn't call her a freak like the other people did. They didn't disown her like her parents. They gave her comfort for a short while. It was just enough time to change her mind about ending everything once and for all. She knew it wouldn't be enough for long, though.


She lifted her other hand to touch the gentle creatures and just as her finger was about to caress the largest butterfly, it crumpled and withered to dust. The others soon following turning to a black powder, resembling ash. Her tears flowed quicker down her cheeks as her sobs became uncontrollable. This was the cycle of everyday. She came home from school everyday to have a short meeting with her only friends. When the joyous meeting came to a tragic end she couldn't do it again. The ending always hurt her more every time.


She eventually cried herself to sleep, the same as every other night. When she awoke, she prepared herself for another day of torture. She slipped on her shoes and walked to school. As she entered the main building silence replaced the voices that she heard just moments ago. Everyone stared at her as she walked by, muttering whispers of cruel jokes to the people next to them. She kept her head down and quickly approached her locker. She put in the combination and swung the door open. When the locker door opened, millions of moths, butterflies, and other winged insects flew out of her locker into her face. She dropped her books and screamed as the insects took her by surprise as the crowd of students pointed and laughed.


She put on a brave face and gathered her books. She didn't want to show weakness in front of these people. Even if they knew how weak she was, she wouldn't give them the privilege of seeing it first hand. She stood up straight, shooing away the last of the butterflies away from her books that she needed for first period.


The day carried on at its normal pace with the teasing and the insults. She bared the pranks with her head held high. She fought back the tears that threatened to run down her cheeks since the day started.


The final bell rang, signalling the end of the day. She sat in her desk an extra five minutes letting most of the crowd pass so she wouldn't have to deal with anyone else on her way out. She stood and walked to the door, expecting nearly everyone to be gone. She walked down the empty halls to her locker. As she turned the last corner until she was at her locker every student she'd ever come into contact with stood before her. They all stood with their hand clasped together, trapping something inside.


Then, one by one, they all crushed whatever was in their hands. They uncovered what was hidden inside, revealing a crumpled butterfly in the palm of every person. One boy stepped forward, butterfly still in his palm. He threw it at her feet and pointed, "Fix it," he shouted.


"I-I can't. I can only m-make them appear." Her voice was shaky and sounded terrified as she avoided eye contact.


He laughed. "Alright, Freak. If you can only make them appear, then make one to replace every last butterfly in here."


"I-I can't."


"And why can't you, Freak?" He lowered his face to hers, gritting his teeth as he spoke to her.


"It-it hurts me every time I do it. It kills me a little every time." The tears were threatening again.


His laughter rumbled from his chest. "Really? Prove it. Replace every single butterfly in here. Let's see if it kills you."


Without another word to defend herself, she held out her palm. She closed her eyes. When she opened her eyes once again, a small tornado of butterflies flew in circles, causing the boy to move back. As they all stared in amazement, she ran out of the building and straight home. She threw herself on her bed, letting the tears follow through with their threats.


Hours passed and the tears finally stopped. She sat up in bed, hugging her knees to her chest. She couldn't take it anymore. She was alone. Not even her temporary friends could fix this one. She ran out of the house. She ran all the way to the shore. The beach was empty and the sun was setting. She walked to the water and stood with her feet in the warm sand.


She took a deep breath as she accepted what was coming. A warm, tingling sensation ran through her veins. She looked at her hand as her finger tips turned into butterflies and flew away. She watched as her body changed into the insects. Peace flooded her heart as bits and pieces of her flew away. Soon nothing remained except her footprints. Within minutes the soft waves washed them away as well. The butterflies that once made up a girl flew into the sky dispersing and carrying themselves on the breeze.

© 2014 Casey Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing. I loved it. I hope this little girl finds peace. I can't wait to read more of your stories.

Posted 10 Years Ago


THis is a nice story. I could see the butterflies forming and disappearing...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 4, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2014

Author

Casey Francis
Casey Francis

Sapulpa, OK



About
I'm seventeen. My full name is Cassandra Lynne Francis. I'm really open and sort of awkward, but isn't everyone? I love writing. It's always been a passion of mine. I hope everyone enjoys my work! more..

Writing