The End of the World

The End of the World

A Story by Casey Francis

Everyone was lying in bed sleeping safe and sound. The small winged creatures came out from their hiding spots. The flitted around with diligence and precision. They left a trail of pale light wherever they went. They all ranged in colors. The tiny monsters with wings were to initiate the first part of what has yet to come.


They flew up into the atmosphere to begin. As the little monsters took their formation, a large ball appeared in between their hands. The further apart they held their hands, the larger it grew. It was constructed of a fine silver dust. Within the sparkling sphere lied the dreams of every person on earth. The shimmering powder took formations within the ball of all sorts. Some held nightmares while others held pure joy within the grains of silver.


All at once, the pixie-like creatures threw the spheres of dreams into the air. When they reached their highest point of altitude, they burst. Every last ball exploded, letting the fine dust float down to the resting minds below. The humans below began to dream of wild and magical things. The powder had settled into their minds and willed them to sleep for the time needed to complete what was coming. War.


 As the spell-bound dust settled, mythical creatures of all sorts stepped out of the darkness. Dragons of every color emerged from their hidden spots. Ogres carried their war clubs over their shoulders as they approached the front line. The two sides of the elves lead their fairy tale armies to battle. The light elves and the dark elves have been butting heads since before the humans ever came to be. The world before them was much different, before they pushed the ancient creatures into the shadows of the world.


The secret war raged on in the dark crevasses of the world, hidden from the human eye. Eventually, the stories of fairies, elves, ogres, dragons and other creatures turned to nothing but bedtime stories. They only existed in the imagination of young children. Now they emerge from hiding for the first time in centuries.


Elves of both races flew through the sky on dragons or rode giants into the center of the city. The giants and dragons swerved through the tall buildings, avoiding contact. As dragons flew over soldiers that marched the streets they exhaled a ball of flame onto those they were to fight against. The roads were set ablaze. The orange light cast shadows up the tall buildings. Giants' steps rumbled the earth's crust. The ogres roars echoed through the night.


The two elven generals crossed paths in the center of the city. They stood before each other, not moving a muscle. For a moment, everything fell silent. They drew their weapons and charged. The dark and light clashed and set fire to the war.


 Battles raged all through the streets. Giants demolishing buildings, dragons setting fire to houses and cars as they chased foot soldiers with their flaming breath. War waged in every city of the world. The earth's crust began to part as large, mythical creatures were slammed into the ground by their enemies. Molten rock seeped through the cracks throughout the world.


The resting humans within the buildings and houses were crushed and burned to death as the fight continued to escalate. Both sides were equally matched. Fires burned, buildings crumpled, but not a single human being screamed. The only noises heard throughout the planet were swords clashing, armor banging against each other, and the war cries of elves, ogres, giants, dragons, orcs, dwarves, wizards, and pixies that are so demented looking that the only possible conclusion could be them coming from a horrible nightmare.


 Before a victor could be decided, the world around the mythical creatures had been completely destroyed. No humans were left. The planet was left barren. Fire and lava lit up the crumpled world. Both sides killed each other off until the only two fighters left were the elven generals. They stood, swords crossed, nose to nose. They were completely unaware of what was around them. The Generals never stopped fighting. The fought until they both collapsed. Their limbs refused to move. Both were weak They both laid on the ground, panting, slowly dying from exhaustion.


They laid on the ground unable to move until the exhaustion swept them away, not leaving a victor to see what was left of earth.

© 2014 Casey Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on March 7, 2014
Last Updated on March 7, 2014

Author

Casey Francis
Casey Francis

Sapulpa, OK



About
I'm seventeen. My full name is Cassandra Lynne Francis. I'm really open and sort of awkward, but isn't everyone? I love writing. It's always been a passion of mine. I hope everyone enjoys my work! more..

Writing