Chapter Thirteen: Preparation Time

Chapter Thirteen: Preparation Time

A Chapter by Cass Morgan
"

Getting ready... for a photoshoot in La Belle Paris!

"

I blinked my eyes sleepily, squinting against the bright light. It took two seconds to remember where I was, and I sat straight up in bed. Sunlight poured from outside onto the cream laminate wood floor. The curtains rustled softly in the wind that came in from the open window, and the beautiful room was filled with light. I swung my legs off the bed, wiggling my toes on the soft sheepskin lying on the floor.


It was seven in the morning, but the room was nice and warm. I headed over to the closet, where I had hung my clothes the night before. I ran a hand through my messy bed-hair and started sorting through my clothes. What should I wear? I was having a photoshoot today, but I needed to wear something that screamed: this girl has fashion sense, and of course it had to make me look good.


After some thinking, I went for a lacy, creamy white dress with laces at the back. I paired it with a brown braid belt and a jaunty brown hat. Quickly, I slid on a pair of cream flats with a gold belt at the front. I debated curling my light blonde hair, but straightened it instead. I looked… french. With a smile, I applied some mascara and lipgloss, deciding to leave out the eyeshadow and eyeliner and blusher. I did quickly dust my face with a little bronzer, but other than that I let my natural look show.


After I finished getting ready, I picked up my handbag and slipped out of the room to meet my dad at the café. The limousine would be picking me up at eight, and it was half past seven already. I was in desperate need for some breakfast.


‘’Em! Over here!” I turned to spot dad sitting at one of the little tables in the cute hotel café and headed over to him. After wrestling my way through the crowd of people getting breakfast, I sat down on the chair opposite him, trying to catch my breath.


‘’Did you order already?’’ I asked, taking the menu and starting to leaf through.


‘’No, I thought I’d wait for you.’’


‘’Okay,’’ I said simply, glancing at the breakfast dishes. ‘’I think I’ll have the fruit salad with yoghurt and muesli.’’


It was a healthy, but delicious dish, and I loved it. Thankfully, our breakfast didn’t take long. and I had enough time to finish it in peace before the limousine arrived. When the limousine did arrive, we were ushered outside and into the sleek black car before I could even blink. They acted like we were late, when it was only ten to eight. Apparently we were late, because when we arrived at the studio, we were rushed inside and separated. Dad would go to the sitting room to talk to William, before getting on the Paris tour bus, and I was ushered into a rather large dressing room, where around five french ladies started gushing about me.


‘’Oh, la petite chérie!’’ one rather young lady cried, sashaying over to me on her impossibly high heels.


‘’Regardez cette belle cheveux!’’ another woman cried, touching my hair and smiling.


I felt rather uncomfortable, but the whole scene also kind of amused me. After chattering to me in rapid french (with me just nodding my head at certain intervals), they started getting me ready. A very french-looking girl started curling my hair, while another was brushing foundation onto my face. They decorated me with eyeliner, eyeshadow, blusher, some white powder to mattify the foundation, lipgloss (or was it lipstick?) and a lot of mascara. My face felt like it usually feels when you’re wearing a mask. It was a little uncomfortable, but that was fine. If it was necessary- I wouldn’t complain. After the nail polish had dried, and they had given me both manicures and pedicures, they sent me off to a little side-room to change. I received three bags and then they shut the door, leaving me alone.


Thankful for the rest, I sat down on the chair and closed my eyes for a second. What with the rapid french, and all the things being done to my face, my small headache wasn’t exactly a surprise. After a few seconds, I opened the bag and promptly gasped. The dress was incredible. It was a dusky pink, with a tight silk and tulle top part, and tulle ruffles at the hem. The skirt reached to just above my knees at the front, and lengthened into a slight train at the back.


I couldn’t help the wide smile on my face as I slipped on the dress. I peered into the next bag, which held a pair of gorgeous cream shoes, with pearls all along the open bit and the back of the heel. I slipped them on, doubtful of my ability to walk in them, but realized they were my exact size, and the gel pads made them much easier to walk in. I took a couple of steps, and satisfied at my success, I made my way to the body-sized mirror next to the window. My eyes widened.


While I had been doubtful of the outcome of all that make-up plastered to my face, the result was stunning. The make-up artists had subtly drawn a pale beige line under and above my eyes with the eyeliner, which made my eyes seem a little bigger. The shiny pearl eyeshadow made my face look natural and the perfectly applied foundation gave my skin a healthy glow. I wore shiny, light pink lipgloss, and my blonde hair cascaded over my shoulder in perfect curls.


I walked out of the room, checking carefully that I had put all my clothes in my bag before closing the door.


‘’Oh, ‘ou are so bee-oo-tee-ful!’’ one of the ladies gushed, grasping my hands and eying me from head to toe. I gave her a small, awkward smile, not sure what to make of the situation.


Thankfully, I was saved from anymore gushing by a sturdy, tall, decidedly American woman with her brown hair tucked into a neat bun at the nape of her neck.


‘’Welcome to Paris, Emily,’’ she smiled, her American accent feeling like home. ‘’I’ve come to show you to the set, alright?’’


I followed her into the hall, thankful to get out of there. I probably would get used to the overly friendly people soon enough, but it was a little overwhelming, especially since I had no clue what they were talking about most of the time.


‘’You nervous?’’ the woman asked, smiling. ‘’My name is Andrea Brucker, by the way. Don’t worry about calling me Mrs. Brucker. Andrea is just fine.’’


‘’Pleased to meet you, Andrea. And yeah, I am a little nervous, I guess. It will take getting used to,’’ I replied.


‘’Isn’t that the way with most things?’’ she smiled, turning right into another white hallway.


‘’I guess so.’’ I rushed to keep up with her, trying not to fall. While the heels were comfortable, they were still high. And high heels had never been my forte.


‘’You managing back there?’’ Andrea cast me an amused glance from over her shoulder. I laughed, then fake pouted. ‘’Aw, don’t laugh at me. I can’t help it I’m so bad on heels.’’


‘’Let me give you some advice,’’ she said, eyes twinkling. ‘’Try walking from your heel to your toe. So put your heel down, then the front part follows after. Don’t put your foot down directly. You get what I’m saying?’’


‘’Yeah,’’ I nodded, then tried it out. It actually worked! I felt much steadier walking that way. ‘’Thank you.’’


Andrea pushed open a door and gestured for me to get back inside. ‘’Go and shine, Emily. I’ll see you later.’’


Feeling nervous again, I almost tip-toed into the busy room. The first thing I noticed was that it was steaming hot. In the middle of the room hung a big white sheet, with about 15 big dazzlingly bright lights directed towards it. A curved stone balustrade, like one you’d see on a balcony, was set in front of it. I didn’t see what was so impressive about it, but then again, it was my business to model, not to go about deciding the dècor.


I looked around frantically, trying to find a familiar face in this crowd of busy people. Suddenly I didn’t feel like the confident, grown-up Emily staring back at me in the mirror back in the dressing room. I felt like the sixteen year old scared Emily I didn’t want to be. A rush of relief washed over me as I spotted Nancy with her professional camera, talking animatedly to Tanner. As quick as I possibly could in the heels, I rushed over to them.


‘’Hey,’’ I said, trying to sound confident. Nancy turned, and her face lit up when she saw me.


‘’Look at you, Emily. France is really doing you good!’’ she teased. ‘’No, really. You look beautiful. I can’t believe we’ve had such luck getting a model just suited to Celina’s clothing line.’’


‘’Thank you,’’ I said, feeling a rush of confidence. I could do this.


‘’Tanner, shut your mouth, or you’ll find yourself eating flies,’’ Nancy was teasing. I looked up and held back a laugh when I saw Tanner’s face. He was staring at me with wide eyes, an expression of disbelief on his face.


‘’What?’’ I asked, raising my eyebrow.


He blinked and allowed a smirk to appear on his face. Yep. Tanner was back.


‘’You really outdid yourself this time, didn’t you?’’ he smiled.


‘’Oh no, I did nothing. The credit must go to the make-up artists and of course, Celina for creating this stunning dress,’’ I said quickly.


Tanner grinned, the growing awkward tension between us dissolving with our smiles. Then I noticed what he was wearing. He wore a dark suit with a crisp white shirt, and a gold tie. Around his wrist was an expensive looking watch, and his shoes were neat. His hair was slicked back, making him look all business-like.


‘’Wow,’’ I said, surveying him. ‘’Are you going to become a CEO?’’


Tanner laughed. ‘’I could never sit behind a desk and look solemn, you should know that by now, angel.’’


There it was again, that nickname. That name that sent tingles up my spine every time it left Tanner’s mouth. There was something about the way he said it that made it special, made it unique, as if it really meant something. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. I couldn’t afford to be distracted- I had a photoshoot to do.



© 2016 Cass Morgan


Author's Note

Cass Morgan
Hope you enjoyed! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on May 9, 2016
Last Updated on May 9, 2016


Author

Cass Morgan
Cass Morgan

In a hat..., with a cat., Netherlands



About
Hi! My name is Cassandra Morgan, but everybody just calls me Cass. I come from the Netherlands, but since both my parents are English, I speak, write and read English fluently. I love reading, .. more..

Writing