Chapter Fifteen: Awkward Talk

Chapter Fifteen: Awkward Talk

A Chapter by Cass Morgan
"

Sparks will fly in this chapter... read to find out more... 'cause that's all I'm givin' ya!

"

I was pulled out of my reverie by a sleek black limo rolling to a stop in front of me. The chauffeur opened the door and out stepped a diva. I mean it. A real diva. Her dark blonde hair was curled to absolute perfection, her slender figure clad in a deep red dress. She wore a black feather boa draped around her neck and shoulders and wore very dark Ray-bans. Under her arm was a light brown chihuahua, which wore a sparkly pink bow. Her already upturned nose was even more upturned because of her snobby attitude and I got the distinct sense of being drowned in Chanel perfume when she pushed by me.


‘’Watch out,’’ she snapped, in a heavy London accent, stalking by like she owned the world. I rolled my eyes at her retreating form and sighed. Why did some people have to be such jerks? Just because they had money and good looks didn’t automatically put them above the rest of the world’s population. People like them needed therapy.


I glanced at my watch, a worried frown overtaking my features. Where was Jim? I was about to take out my cellphone and call him, but suddenly I heard someone call my name. I looked up, staring at Tanner in a sleek silver convertible with open top. My jaw dropped.


‘’Come on, angel,’’ he smirked. ‘’Time for the real VIP tour through Paris.’’


I let a grin spread over my face, shaking my head. I walked over nonetheless, and Tanner (very gentlemanly) opened my door for me. I got in, relaxing on the comfortable leather seats.


‘’How the hell did you get such a nice car?’’ I asked, pushing my hair out of my face. The wind was blowing it backwards as Tanner sped up, and I’d never, not even in the limo, felt so like a real celebrity. Tanner turned, shooting me an easy smile before returning his gaze to the road.


‘’Rented it,’’ he answered simply. I didn’t reply, thinking how much money he had to have to be able to rent a car like this. An open top car was my absolute favorite kind of car, and I’d always wanted one of them. If only I had saved up enough for it- but I wasn’t even close to affording a car like this.


‘’Nice,’’ I commented, closing my eyes and leaning my head backwards. The cool wind caressed my cheeks, tousling my hair and making my eyes water, but I didn’t care. I opened my eyes and caught Tanner grinning at me.


‘’Enjoying yourself?’’ he smirked.


I nodded, not even bothering to think up a smart remark. ‘’Of course. I’m in Paris, the sun is shining, I’m in an incredible open-roofed car with a hot guy-’’


Too late, I realized my mistake. Crap. I turned to Tanner with wide eyes, hoping fervently he hadn’t just heard what I was saying or thought I was making a joke. To my utter horror, he was smirking.


‘’So that’s what you’re really think, huh?’’ he said. ‘’You think I’m hot.’’


‘’I-’’ I stammered. ‘’I mean- I- well, you are a model. Duh,’’ I concluded lamely.


Tanner threw his head back laughing. I blushed furiously, trying to sink deeper into my seat. This was the most embarrassing moment of my life.


‘’Aw, don’t be shy, Em,’’ he cooed, amusement lacing his tone. ‘’Are you blushing?''


I put my hands in front of my face, even more embarrassed. This day was not turning out like I’d hoped it would. I felt the car slow to a stop and then two firm hands on mine, pulling them away from my face.


‘’Come on, Em. It’s not that embarassing! I consider it a compliment, seeing it’s coming from you. For what it's worth, you're pretty darn hot yourself.’’


Tanner grinned slightly, his gaze fully fixated on me. I just nodded tightly, still feeling uncomfortable and gestured to the road. Tanner sighed and started driving again, as I leaned back and closed my eyes, trying to get rid of the embarrassment still washing over me.Crap. Way to go, Emily Ricketts.


The rest of the ride was spent in silence, me constantly cursing myself inwardly for ruining the carefree mood. Why? Why did it always have to be me? Why couldn’t I be like Savannah, who didn’t completely let her emotions and thoughts rule her. I talked way too easily and-- I just couldn’t believe I’d said something like that to Tanner. Sure, I liked him, I realized that now. I wasn’t daft. But he so obviously didn’t like me that way, and I had just--


The car had stopped. When I looked up, I noticed we’d stopped by a little restaurant. I realized then how hungry I was. Tanner opened the car door and I got out, refusing to meet his eyes. I heard him sigh. Suddenly, his arms were around me and his lips were on mine. Sparks ran through me like an electric current. Surprised and shocked out of my mind, I kissed him back, before realizing what I was doing. I pushed him away, not quite wanting to, but wanting to get things cleared up.


‘’What the hell are you doing?’’ It didn’t come out as strong as I wanted it to. Tanner smirked.


‘’I think that is pretty obvious, angel. It’s this thing people do when they like each other. It’s called kis-’’


‘’I know what it’s called,’’ I interrupted impatiently. ‘’But why?’’


‘’Simple. I like you, you apparently like me, that’s it.’’ He said it with such a nonchalant look on his face, like this was everyday work for him. Maybe he was used to kissing his co-models?


‘’You like me?’’ I asked incredulously. ‘’Why the hell would you pick me to like?’’


‘’I didn’t pick you. I mean, no, wait, that came out wrong. I mean, you don’t pick people to like, it doesn’t work that way. You just--- like them?’’


Tanner looked so utterly helpless that I couldn’t help laughing. A small flush had appeared on his cheeks, to my utter shock and amusement.. I didn’t know Tanner could blush. Now I had something to hold against him. A small grin appeared on my face.


‘’You’re blushing,’’ I teased, poking his cheek. The awkward atmosphere was gone, and I was so glad that I decided I didn’t want to press the matter of the kiss any further. That might just make stuff awkward again.


‘’Am not,’’ Tanner declared defiantly, pouting slightly. I laughed and linked my arm in his, pulling him towards the entrance of the little café. Nothing more was said about the incident at the car, and as much as I didn’t want to, I tried to put it right out of my mind. We had food, bantered, laughed, all like old friends. I didn’t know what we were, at that point, but I knew what I wanted us to be. Then again, I had changed the subject, so I was to blame. Maybe if I had risked the awkwardness and just pressed the matter further, things might have turned out differently.


French food was good, I had decided at the end of the lunch. We’d shared a cheese tray with delicious (still warm) baguette and strong french coffee for each. After that we’d both had a croissant with chocolate filling. I didn’t think I’d ever find anything as good as that to eat in America.


‘’Oof, I don’t think Nancy would be too pleased to hear we ate all that fattening stuff,’’ I said, stretching in my chair. Tanner laughed. ‘’Nancy wouldn’t kick up that much of a fuss, as long as we do enough exercise to balance it out.’’


‘’Speaking about exercise,’’ I said, my eyes glinting with misschief. ‘’We’ve paid, so the first one outside gets to choose where we’re going next.’’


Before Tanner could even reply, I shoved my chair backwards and took off to the doors of the restaurant. I heard another chair scraping on the floor and quick footsteps. I pushed myself to run faster, willing my feet to carry me just those few steps further. I felt two hands on my waist and suddenly the world was swung upside down. I kicked my legs and a giggle escaped. I immediately felt embarrassed. I didn’t giggle. That was little kid stuff.


Tanner set me down rather gently, and he grinned at me. ‘’Beat you,’’ he teased, sticking out his tongue. I frowned, then suddenly brightened up. ‘’No you didn’t,’’ I contradicted, smirking.


He looked confused. ‘’Yes, I did.’’


‘’No. You were carrying me on your shoulder, meaning my feet and legs went through the door before yours. I won.’’ I pointed out. I flashed him a victorious smile and stalked off, calling ‘’Thanks, Tanner’’ over my shoulder.


I turned around just as I crashed head first into someone.


© 2016 Cass Morgan


Author's Note

Cass Morgan
Hope you enjoyed the read! Please leave feedback, it would really be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on May 9, 2016
Last Updated on May 9, 2016


Author

Cass Morgan
Cass Morgan

In a hat..., with a cat., Netherlands



About
Hi! My name is Cassandra Morgan, but everybody just calls me Cass. I come from the Netherlands, but since both my parents are English, I speak, write and read English fluently. I love reading, .. more..

Writing