Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Cassie
"

You won't understand the meaning of confusing until you read this chapter. ;)

"

'Royal Cosmology papers? I wonder what she's doing looking at these.' He thought. On the first sheet was a diagram of the four known worlds, and their positioning in the sky. Though the diagram drew the worlds next to each other, no matter how hard the sky was searched, they could not be found. Their existence was known about because a scholar had found a portal into the closest world. He had been taught by its inhabitants about the worlds and their characteristics. The worlds were arranged along the back of the first creation, Arcturus, the Great Bear. At first Arcturus travelled the universe alone. Her footprints in the darkness became planets, and her breath became the stars. Still Arcturus was lonely, so she created the first world; Eos, the world of Gods. The Gods kept her company, and in turn she carried them on her back. Over the millenniums, some of the Gods began to grow too strong and tried to control the direction that she travelled. Afraid to hurt her creations, she removed their powers and their memories, and sealed them in a world of their own; Aeris. Aeries became the world of humans, or powerless gods. Without their powers, the humans’ lives had limits, and they eventually had to die. Arcturus was sad to see her creations die, so she gave them souls, allowing them to be reborn eternally. Carrying the two worlds on her shoulders, Arcturus began to grow a headache and had to stop her travels. One of her two original companions, Aures gave her the idea of creating a world of cold and ice on her head to ease her pain. Arcturus created the world Leto, and as a reward gave her the name the Mother Goddess Aures and turned her into an immortal Great God. Pleased with their work, Aures and Arcturus travelled the universe watching over the humans and the Lesser Gods. Soon Arcturus had to stop again. This time, the ice on her head had numbed her, so she couldn't feel anything. At a loss for ideas, Aures asked one of her Lesser God companions Tumos, if he had any ideas. He told Arcturus to create a world of fire on her lower back, so that she would be warmed by it. Arcturus created Styx and thanked the man. She gave him the name Father God Tumos. Aures noticed that Arcturus had not made the man into a Great God, and so he was not immortal. Aures had become quite attached to Tumos so she requested that he was made immortal as well. Arcturus had not expected her creations to form bonds between each other, and so she had willingly agreed. Together Arcturus, Aures and Tumos still travel the universe, with the worlds residing on her back.

Poquen drew himself out of his memories, pushing back the thoughts of his early education. Raised majoritively by maids, Poquen rarely attempted to remember much of his past. Shrugging away the somber feeling he looked back to the papers.

 "Leto, the North-most point of the Great Bear, was the world of nothingness. Positioned on the head of the Bear, it was a desolate landscape of ice and wind. It had picked up the name 'The Place where Things could have Been' as when a person visited the world, they only saw things that could have been, but did not occur. The world of cold and light, Leto was used by the Gods of Eos as a prison for other Gods that they could not kill. Though myths and legends say that a great race of light elves reside deep in the mountains of Leto, no God who was ever sent to the world had ever returned. Eos, the world of Gods, shared the body of the Great Bear with Metis, the world of humans. On occasion, the Gods of Eos would visit the human realm, however they had not in many years. Sometimes people say that they see the gods, walking calmly through thick forests. More often than not however, the people who make these claims turn out to be mad. The fourth world, Styx, is situated far to the South. On the far end of the Great Bear, it is the world of the dead. When a human dies, their souls are transported to Styx. A lone God, Poros, judges the souls of all who pass. If he believes that the soul deserves it, he transports them back to Eos, where they can be born again. He also sets the soul a Fated End; the amount of time that they are allowed to spend as in Eos. If the soul had acted generously, the time that they had to spend was also generous. However if he deems the soul unworthy, they are given only a few years to live their next life. If the soul wasted the life that he was given, he was forced to work in the mines of Styx for a century before being returned to Eos.

Poros was not always the judge of souls however. Once a roaming God of Tricks, Poros had tricked the Great Mother Goddess Aures into giving him some of her powers to shorten or lengthen humans' Fated Ends. After realizing that Aures would know it was him changing the Fated Ends of humans, he split the powers up and sent them out on the wind. He gave every God some of the power, and kept only a little for himself. Ares however was even more cunning. She jumped into the air and raced against the wind in the direction that her power was spreading from. When she saw that Pores, one of her own children, was the one spreading her powers around, she became enraged. In retribution, Aures sentenced Poros to judge all souls and set their Fated Ends until the end of time. Unable to remove her powers from the other Gods, she locked them away until they had lived a century. Poros soon realized his mistake, and begged for her forgiveness. Unable to resist one of her children, she told him that he had only one chance to bring her the most beautiful gem in all of Styx. If he chose the correct gem he would be released. Pores became harsher on the souls, making more and more work in his mines to find the best gem to present to his mother. For centuries Pores has continued to guide the souls whilst searching for the gem. "



© 2011 Cassie


Author's Note

Cassie
Grammer and such, if you please. :) I hope you like it, even if it is really confusing. If there's anything about this chapter that you think I need to explain differently or more, please say so.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
Added on May 9, 2011
Last Updated on May 9, 2011


Author

Cassie
Cassie

Townsville, Australia



About
I don't like to define myself very much. Make your own decisions about what I am or am not, but I won't give myself the boundires. more..

Writing
Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Cassie


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Cassie


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Cassie