Highway 80 west stories. Chapter fifteen.  California

Highway 80 west stories. Chapter fifteen. California

A Chapter by Coyote Poetry
"

Last chapter. Take two people to know real peace. Loneliness is a desperate time.

"
     California

Lana was very content. The warm night in Sacramento made her happy. I loved looking at her legs in her knee-high dress. She danced around the room in her bare feet. I heard her say. "I made it dad to California. You promised me California and now I'm here because of you." She came to me with tears in her eyes and told me. "My dad would be happy I was in California. He promised me this trip since I was a little girl. He worked and worked till two weeks before he died.'" I got up and embraced her and told her. "He would be content his beautiful baby girl was dancing barefooted in California. I know he smiling from heaven. Tonight we drink and dance to our new life"  She stopped crying and told me. "You are right Johnnie. I'm messing up my make-up with sad tears. Tonight we celebrate. You didn't leave me behind. I'm thankful Johnnie.

The club was okay. A small dance floor and older music. We drank long Island ice teas and dance to almost every old song. In the midnight hour. A older couple asked to join us. I said yes.  The man introduced himself as Paul, retired Gunny and his blessed wife Lilly. I told him my name is Johnnie and I introduced Lana. Paul asked. What is a AWOL soldier doing in my city Sacramento? Are you going to war and running from it." I told him. "Running from it and on my way to report in at Fort Ord."  He laughs and told me. "I will buy you a Marine drink. You are drinking those water down drinks. Real people drink whiskey and cold beer." He ordered a double of Jack Daniel and some cold tapped beer. Lana smiled and agreed. She told him her Daddy was a Marine. Paul saw the sadness in her eyes and he told her. "Don't worry honey. Marines take care of Marines. He is in a good place." He touched her face softly and told her. "Death comes to all of us. Key to life is to have a good times and spend time with the family. I will tell you the secret to a good life. More whiskey and bad jokes.''Lilly smiled and told him to be quiet. She asked Lana. "Honey, what happen to your father?"

Lana trying to hide tears told them. "My father died of cancer last month. He was a good father." Lilly came over and told her. "Good to be sad. We need the sadness. Help us to find peace in things we don't understand." Paul raised the glass of whiskey and he said. "To a Marine and father. I hope he found peace in a better place." We touched shot glasses and all of us agreed." Lilly gave us a big smile and told everyone. "Time to do some dancing. We can cry tomorrow.'  The four of us were the lone dancers and we didn't care.  At the end of the night. Paul and Lilly gave us hugs like we were lost children. Paul took me aside and told me. "Remember after we serve our time. Us Veterans must help each other." He asked me did I need anything?" I told him. "You gave me a lot. You made Lana laugh and showed her she is not alone." Paul wrote his phone number down and told me. "I have a lot of good friends in Monterey. Please call me if you need some help."  Lilly kissed my forehead and Lana's cheeks. She told me. "You best be good to this little lady.  She is a good woman."

Me and Lana laid in the hotel bed. I felt her heartbeat against my skin and I could smell the fruity shampoo in her.
hair. she looked me in the eyes and asked. "Will we see the sea in the morning? I want to run into the sea tomorrow." I told her. "If we leave early enough, we will reach the Pacific ocean by noon. She closed her eyes. The good whiskey and the long day left her tired and wore out.

We left at 6 am. I could see the excitement in her eyes. The deeper we drove into California, the most pretty she got.  The temperature got warmer.  She told me. "I love this place. Winter seem so far away. I feel refreshed. I needed this place Johnnie. You promised to take me places?" I reached over and kissed her. Told her. "We will dance and drink on every free beach on the California coastline."

I awoke Lana. I saw the ocean after leaving the San Francisco city limits.  Her eyes were aglow with the vast Pacific ocean. She stared and pointed at the lighthouses and the rocky shores. The first public entrance I drove into with my truck  and parked the truck on the beach. She escaped the truck quickly and she tossed her shoes off. She ran to the water. The waves were powerful and overtook her dress. I laughed at her and took off my shoes and put my wallet in the truck. She ran up to me and whispered. "Water is cold, very cold."  I embraced her and I watched the sea dancing. Lana brought my face to her and told me to promise. "Never to leave me.'
I told her, I'm yours till you do not need me no-more." She kissed me.

We were on Highway one. The coastal highway. Cars were driving by. No-one care about two people beginning a new life together.

         The end of Highway 80


© 2014 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

well I loved this story jack daniels,cold beer and I`m sure you meant army and he finally got his daughters wishes before he went on great write

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Wordman. The Gunny was talking. Marine know how to drink and enjoy life.
 wordman

9 Years Ago

lol yeah I know just had to add a little humor
This is such a romantic write. Two people in love and so together. Very beautifully narrated and I could picture the scenic locales and through them, the beauty of life. A lot of emotion too. Thanks for the wonderful read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Divya. My first story I have complete. Five more old one's to edit and I start again.
DIVYA

9 Years Ago

You are very welcome. Please keep writing and sharing. Its wonderful to read..

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014


Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


True Love True Love

A Poem by Gee


Mutiny Mutiny

A Poem by ANTO