Yesterday

Yesterday

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words.

"

                                  Yesterday

I am in the Fall of a life. Death whispered in my ear. Old heart and my tire soul seem to need and want less. Maybe I have given-in, given-up.

Once I had everything. Had long Summer days, I had the sea and I tempted love.

I read Salinger and Hemingway now.  I am seeking Salinger silence and learning Hemingway thoughts. Salinger saw death and war, he sought private place. He couldn't hide from the violence and blood. He taught me. Write for yourself. Hemingway taught me. Great words are rarely appreciated. Live hard and don't complain.

Yesterday when I was young and  fearless. I consumed life and today. The old man sits at Lake St. Clair. Observe life and hold on to his last breathe for his grandchildren.

I wonder if I did more, if I did less? Maybe.

I would know more kindness and less anger. I feel the pain of anger in my bones, old places and distance war had tattoos my mind and heart.

Beautiful faces, wonderful places and children dance in sweet dreams. Death whispered in my ear. I told Death. Not today. I will meet Hemingway in the Purgatory Inn later.  We will drink American whiskey and talk of love.

                                 Coyote

© 2018 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
New words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

it's the first time I read in Your note "New words", and these new words describe the "now" You the very best though I surely would want something more to add to the now You, something so lovely and beautiful like Your other pieces. it's You, and all what happened in Your life that made You to be whom You are today, no need to have done less or more, no regrets though I'm very sure that each one of us who sits in this monologue and will wonder about the same things too and not necessarily to be old to do so. anyone who lived a war will imprint all their life, the memories will stick, they speak of life and death, existence with a deep emotional sound.

a very touching and heartfelt piece my friend, one that gets us more closer to You, I have not even one tiny doubt that Your grandchildren loves You immensely.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you my dear friend. I appreciate your kind words.



Reviews

Enjoyable read and love the words that speak of life and the way it often ends up after youth flies away we are most likely in deeper thoughts. Love your writes as they are always thought provoking ;-] Good one.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. I appreciate the comment.
That song has always brought a tear to my eyes! Yes, we did a lot of things "yesterday" that we can not do now, but the memories are with us always and still inspire wonderful poetry. You will meet Hemmingway one day....and he will be happy to read your words as I do. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

This is my favorite version of the song. Roy voice made for this song. Made us think about life and .. read more
Hemingway is a legend but even he would have been proud to have written

'I am in the Fall of a life. Death whispered in my ear'...... Great words and true John... and when you do eventually meet Hemingway in the Purgatory Inn, much, much later... I hope I can have the seat next to ya... All Good Things, Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. You would a wanted guest. Hemingway would be a wild night, I wonder what Saling.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

My sincere pleasure and who knows, I would love to have that drink with you one day... I shall send .. read more
Bravo! You eloquently write of a life well-lived and well-loved my friend. Your heart is forever young. And your thoughts are in excellent company with Salinger and Hemingway. Your writing reads like theirs. The “what ifs” haunt us but soften with time, and we live on for our families. We have worth and love and wisdom still to impart. Love your “Purgatory Inn”- the writers and poets meeting place! I’ll come too, but only if they serve Buffalo Wings and Root Beer- ha! Love this poem in my deepest heart. Thank you Coyote.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Annette. I appreciate your kind words.
New words, John that describe a life that has arrived at a point where acceptance of the past is the only choice we have. Those who have seen Death search for a meaning to the madness, but, maybe there is none. Thank God for Salinger & Hemingway and other writers of that ilk. Thank God for grandchildren bringing a bit of sanity to our crazy lives.

Good write, my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I agree my friend. Thank God for Hemingway and Salinger. They wrote the truth. Thank you Ted for rea.. read more
When you are in the fall of life, death whispers to us all, and that is why we should make sure we live in the now as each day counts. Days with grandchildren become precious. We slow down, we need less, but that isn't giving up. Reflection, taking stock isn't a bad thing, and I'm sure all of us would prefer to see more kindness and less anger. Much feeling in these lines Coyote. So pleased that your final lines, said not today. It is not your time.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Not today. Old Johnnie still have reasons to be around. Thank you Chris for reading and the kind wor.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You have to keep us going with your "just words", for a start. That's before anything else in your l.. read more
What a plaintive and restive write, John! Salinger and Hemmingway the eternal writers who understand brooding melancholia like no other. You have done so well in culling out your deeply felt thoughts about time that is lost.

Precious.
M.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Mallika. What Hemingway and Salinger seen in WW2. No man would have any sanity. Salinger u.. read more
θεά 

5 Years Ago

Such grim wars they have seen! Thank You John, not my poetry but yours. :)
I rather like that...live hard, complain less...your spirit is so strong..tell death to buzz off for a bit :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Nothing returns the way we want to.

Deep stuff. Wow.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I agree Vivian and thank you for reading and the comment.
A deeply meaningful poem reflective of time and age as we grow older. Where we evaluate our passing of time gone and left. Great read Coyote.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dawn. I appreciate the comment and I agree.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1098 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 24, 2018
Last Updated on September 24, 2018

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Irma Irma

A Poem by Lydia Shutter