The last time I saw your face, my kind friend. I remember.

The last time I saw your face, my kind friend. I remember.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words. Sad words.

"

                 The last time I saw your face, my kind friend. I remember.


When we are blessed with youth and vinegar. We don't know. We have few mentors and people who shall love us.
Today, I walk slower and I think before I speak. I pay attention to my loved one. Gone and with me. I make time for the children and the grandchildren.

 When I was eighteen years old in 1977. Dear Grandmother and grandfather Reyes took me the bus station for the Army. I can still see them with sad faces as the Grey Hound bus took me to New Jersey today.  I volunteered for every active conflict and I did not fear death. I called my Grandfather in the Winter of 1991 when I was in the war-zone. My sister answered, not knowing it was me. She told me. Mr. Reyes died last week. I dropped the phone and I couldn't get-up. Today, I wished I spend more time with the kind man who help raise me, my mentor. I wished I told. He was the greatest and my blessing. I love you my dear grandfather.


I visit my father in the Summer of 1996. Two week with him. We watched TV till 3am. Old war movies and every morning we went fishing in the Tennessee river. We talked and talked. I ensure I spend one week with him yearly. I called him at 8 pm every Friday my whole life. I was deployed for training in September 1996 and my wife called me. Your father had was in a deep coma and I must return home. I arrived in Virginia and my father was in the coma. I sat with him for three days. My stepmother told me. He was waiting for you. He awoke one time and he told me. I am so proud of you. I held his hand for two days till his last breathe. I sat next to him till the hospital took him away. At 8 pm on Friday. I want to call him and to hear his voice.

My friend Donald. Best friend, a man could have. His family and my family always did things together. His children were my children and my children were his. Kindest and wisest men I knew. I stood with him in the good days and in the bad days. He was a country boy who served 27 years in the Army. I watched his children when needed and he would watch my children. We were friend for 14 years. We were at Fort Ord, Ca., Fort Hood, Texas and Fort Stewart at the same time. Every year we would organize a family get-together. In 2004, I called his parent and got his address. He stayed in and he was in the National Guard. I send him some books in the Spring. He never returned my letter. In September of 2004. I called his father and he told me my friend was killed on August 2004 in Iraq. I went to my bedroom and me and wife cried. Today if I could go back in time. I would have made time to see my friend Donald. I would thank him for his friendship and standing with me in the good and the bad days.

My uncle Bob went into a coma in September. My mentor and kind friend. He was a safe place for me as a child. I had AWOL parent. Him and my Aunt Pat. Always a free meal, kind words and a safe place to rest. I saw him last in 2006. I would visit him once yearly till the year 2000. Debt, work and keeping up, kept me from visiting Florida. I called Aunt Pat and we talked. I remember his kind face and always positive words for me. He liked his beer and his yard. He died on August 11, 2018. I couldn't go to say the proper goodbye. Heaven have a good man and father. I wish I called him more and I visit him more. I wish I told him. Thank you Uncle Bob. You were my kindest friend. I love you and I miss you.

I remember many kind faces. Now I know. Spend time with your children. They are children for a second only. Spend time with the family. Our mentors will leave us and we must tell them. We love them and thank you for the concern.

Before we can't.

                                  Coyote
  

© 2018 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We do walk slower. We have life experience and hopefully that makes us wiser. We are the older generation. We have stories to tell to our grandchildren and our children....if they bother to listen. I'm sure your Uncle Bob knew you loved him and admired him, John. It is true, we often do not make time for the very people who mean the most to us and then, unfortunately, they are taken from us. A very emotional write, my friend. Wise life advice in this introspective piece. I am sorry for your loss. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear Lydia. I appreciate your comment.



Reviews

After the second paragraph tears started rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't stop crying for a while after reading your personal and painful account of, The last time I saw your face, my kind friend. I remember. Your story brought back few memories of my own. Thank you for your kind and beautiful advice, John.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

We must appreciate the people who loved us. Thank you my friend for reading. I do appreciate.
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

It's always a pleasure reading your marvelous writings.
Your words so full of wisdom Coyote and you tell such sad stories here of your losses. We are all here on loan. I don't forget that. Having suffered many losses myself, I know how precious time, family and friends are. I don't ever want to reflect and think I could have done more, I should have been there for them. That would be unbearable for me to live with. Your words are always full of life, wisdom and living. I thank you.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Christine for reading and the comment. Life is lessons to slow us down.
such wise words you write here John as always, and your recollections of so many sad losses a testimony to those departed but still with you... a terribly sad set of personal disclosures, but the message you leave is perfectly clear... a powerful and emotive write my friend... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Neville. I appreciate the comment.
Neville

5 Years Ago

always a pleasure to visit your words Johnnie C... N
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very sad write, my friend, yet one infused with a wonderful message for all of us.

The reality is, life is short. If we don't slow down our pace, give the one's we truly love our time and energy, we will wake up one day to find that time has passed largely unnoticed and those that we loved may no longer be around. Your life experiences have taught us all a valuable lesson. Cherish the one's you love. Always make the time for them. Before your time or their's is past. A profound message.

Another fine write, my friend. Wonderful words of poignancy with a wonderful moral contained within.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dooley. I appreciate the kind words.
Yes, it is sad when people pass away, and we wish we had said things to them. You story is very poignant, and you tell it well. My little 'trick' is to talk to them after they have died, and say all those the things. It makes me feel better, and you never know, they may be listening! ( One little typo. The first line, 'youth and VINIGAR?' I expect you mean vigour.)


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

My grandfather use to say. He was filled with piss and vinegar. Thank you my friend for reading and .. read more
Great Aunt Astri

5 Years Ago

Oh , ha ha ha ! Youth and vinigar ... very good!
Touching remembrance. I was 18 in 1970. Loss of loved ones is unavoidable as we age. We will be with them again, in a better place.
I Often reflect on those who hurried away from this life. Many were much younger than I am now.
We all have an appointment.
I guess I shouldn't mind being at the back of that line.
There must be more blessings for me to do in this life, before I go home.
God's timing is perfect.


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are right my friend and thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
This might be the most precious thing you've written that I've read so far. This has stunning depth & sensitivity. I love the way you blend fun reveries with the details of sad losses. Amazing details you choose to share about each person, so clearly adored by you (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Margie. I appreciate the comment. Time is the best teacher.
Wisdom and sadness in your write John.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you Andrew.
Wonderful- such true touching words- life is short never leave things unforgiven and regretting- sort things out time waits for nobody🌹

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear Kelly. The people we love. We must appreciate.
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

5 Years Ago

You are right time is of essence🌹
A great reminder to cherish the present moment and the people we love who are present here and now with us. I take this moment to tell you, I cherish you. Thank you for accepting my friend request. A very moving writing and I confess I have been self engrossed and must make more time for family and friends. Thank you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

We must. If we don't. We will know regret and thank you Dhara for reading and the comment.
Dhara_Ditzy Kat

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Coyote.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2018
Last Updated on October 13, 2018

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..