The ashtrays, the whiskey and the cigarettes...

The ashtrays, the whiskey and the cigarettes...

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

June-poetry number seven.

"

The ashtrays, the whiskey and the pen…


I loved downtown Austin, Texas. No-one is a stranger. Just people seeking good booze, music and opportunity. I like the comfort of a cigarette, Jack Daniels and time to think and write.


The people in the taverns talked to me like a old and missed friend. I must have a safe face to look at. I don’t believe they know me. My paper and pen bring the people near wanting to hear story and someone with a listening ear. I do have a thousand stories to tell.


A young college girl with eyes of hazel green sat next to me. She asked me. Is love true or just a myth to create false hope? I smiled and I wrapped my right arm around her and I told her. Love is weightless, new love is the real bounty of the lucky. Old love doesn’t exist, only remnants remain. You can’t be forgiven or forget. You  must hope for the mercy of sweet kiss and embrace. Hope the love is true.


I have been rolling my cigarettes lately, not for the sake of saving money. It feel good to roll the tobacco in my hands, like I’m create some sort of pleasure. A lone woman sat with me. She asked did I think she was still pretty? I saw the pain and disappointment in our eyes. I told her she was the prettiest girl I seen today and I gave her a fresh rolled cigarette. She looked at the almost filled ashtray and I ordered two double shots of Black Velvet.  Her face brighten up as I lite her cigarette. I looked into her eyes and I study her face and told her. I love your face. Had the balance of hard times and true beauty. True beauty are eyes and cheekbones that tell the truth and can leave yourself unprotected. You have a gentle face. She gave me a smile and raised the drink and said. To the moon, the sun and the river and you. I touched her glass and we drank the whiskey. She smoked the cigarette  inhaling the smoke deeply and she asked. I know you drink and write. Can you leave the dirty ashtrays and show a girl a good time? I smiled and I told her. It would be my honor to dance with a Texas beauty. Whiskey and cigarettes are always near. Rarely can I dance and serenade to a beautiful woman. Her eyes seem brighter and more hopeful. I saw the first real smile and some real emotion as she laid her head upon my shoulder. She raised her face up and gave me a quick kiss. She told me. Thank you Johnnie. You can bring back the dead.


I sat by the lake in Boeblingen, Germany. I brought a ashtray, cigarette tobacco and paper. I had my pen and paper writing down new words and thoughts. I was rolling a fresh cigarette when a pretty German girls with her red scarf appealed. She sat down with me and was staring at my face. I didn’t look at her. Even with time and distance. Her face could make me break down. Not to tears. Just to sadness. She questioned me. Where have you been Johnnie?


 People said you were sick and went crazy? Rumors had it. You gave up.  I reached over and kissed her cheeks than her mouth. The taste of her lips awoke emotion and closed scars.  Her memory was already tattoos forever upon my heart and mind. I told her.  Remember when I blindfolded you with the red scarf and you told me to be wild and free. You are mine and I’m yours completely. You told me you wanted to be blinded from the light and movement. You wanted my hand and mouth to take you to new places. I didn’t know you were my fire and I was the wood. I would yearn for you forever. She smiled and told me. Roll me a fresh cigarette my lover. We knew coffee, cigarettes and true nakedness. We had nothing to hide. We got too old too quickly. We transformed to the tall sky of hope and we had no-where to fall. Remember we made love for three days and nights. We locked the doors and allowed no-one in. I remember faces, legs, arms and thighs. I remember silky and innocence skin trying to become one body. Do you remember me Johnnie?


 I gave her the cigarette and rolled one for myself. I like the personal feel of tobacco and paper in my hands. I told her her, damn cigarettes feel real. Your memory feel like fiction. I remember the slow and sweet nights. You were my pureness of perfection. Now I have my reflection to pen and paper.  I write to paper with deaden ink about the moon and the sun. I find despair in both. You taught me love wasn’t forever and I do remember pale skin and locked doors. I lite her cigarette and my cigarette. Two people, now strangers watch the lake gentle move.


I sat alone in Austin, Texas. I’m not held down by sadness. I have learn. Love can condemn you or propel you to places of promises. I still dream of red scarfs and long nights.   I begin to roll a fresh cigarette and look at my pen and paper.


                                 Coyote/John Castellenas

© 2021 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

https://aranads.com/seo/
What If you have never encountered the term, which you occasionally hear in the world of digital marketing and content production, be assured that this is not true at all, and is the brainchild of ignorant people. Has little expertise in this area. SEO is both alive and well?


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

https://aranads.com/seo/
What If you have never encountered the term, which you occasionally hear in the world of digital marketing and content production, be assured that this is not true at all, and is the brainchild of ignorant people. Has little expertise in this area. SEO is both alive and well?


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's suprising just what a cigarette can do to one's thoughts! In your case it gave us an interesting view of a relationship. As usual, excellent writing from a Master of words

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you Augustus. Old days became the good days now.
Love this John
Beautiful 🤩

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Julie. We will play many people and we will learn happiness and sadness. If we are lu.. read more
quality of a novel dear Coyote, some true wise lines, some true deep and emotional ones made my eyes misted with tears, You never fail to pleasure your reader, and You never fail to make them "feel" as if it's real. well done my friend, heartwarming and breathtaking piece.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

This is a true story my dear friend. Few people make us go wild and crazy. You will remember the peo.. read more
Very nice story Coyote. I truly love reading your work.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the comment.
Who a story told. I could feel your emotion.
It surely came through. Nicely done, my friend.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Melinda. I appreciate the comment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2021
Last Updated on June 13, 2021

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Less Than Beautiful Less Than Beautiful

A Chapter by DIVYA