The last man standing...

The last man standing...

A Story by Coyote Poetry
"

September poetry number thirteen.

"

 The last man standing…

  Last person standing….


(Will the last man standing. Ask. Who won the final war. He would tell the setting sun. No-one.)

I had a bad dream. A realistic dream. I was the last person standing. No-one won the final battle. Nuclear weapons departed from every continent. The lucky people died instantly. Us left had to make the decision. The pills or die slowly/badly.

Like in the story “On the beach” by Nevil Shute. A few places lived though the dropping of the nuclear
weapons. The un-lucky few out of the 40 mile kill zones waited for death and the wind brought the final killing. A deadly illness came to you. Slowly tearing your inside out and the bad death. The surviving leaders decided to give the option beside a shot-gun or pistol. They offered the pills. On the box written.

“Recommend to take when the pain is too strong. Recommend take the pills when you have physical strength still. God bless the USA, God bless the people left.   Signed Medical county executive.”

No-one had won. The Jews scream and cries to the end. The chosen people died first, than the nuclear weapons left France, the USA and Russia. Then India led the rest of the world. The Middle East was done quickly. Israel shot weapons at friend and enemies. No-one knows why? Mass confusion left the world in chaos. Few places were not touched. After the nuclear weapons killed off the great cities. The complete world went to silence.

The people left asked questions. There were no leader left to questions. I sat alone with pills in hand. I have been doing the rosemary tea and taking the vitamins for days now. I went to the un-locked CVS and took what I thought would extend my life. My family took the pills and laid in a final sleep in the back bedroom. I put friends and neighbors to their beds. The smell of death was in the air and  I was left to write the final words.

                     The final words…

No-one had won the final battle. I wonder if the few acres of land and oil was worth the death of mankind? The Jews stood their ground. Now just like all races. Back to earth our rotting body will go. The Arab world hope their oil and God would save them. God, Buddha or Allah did not save anyone. The human race create a way for mass killing. Odd part was. All these countries with nuclear, bio and chemical warfare and no-one would believe some fool would start the final war. The media went dead many months ago. The first attack led a fury of nuclear weapons to be shot to all continents. Rumors had it. Places like France and Israel had systems in place. Went to automatic release of the weapons. Most of us who survived believed the world went mad. Nuclear and Bio weapons kill without care for race, color or religion. Rich men and poor men died.  I wonder do the Jews believe they won? I wonder do the Arabic countries believe they won some kind of victory? The scary part is. The great powers. Russia, USA, Great Britain, France and India shot at ghosts and murdered the world.

Where I stood at the time, of the day of death in October. Nature was still okay. Us human were affected by the radiation and the poison in the air. At first we thought the final survivors. We could rebuilt the world and make it better. We gathered and had great dreams. We gather together create small villages of people. We tested the food. It was still okay. Some people, mainly ex-military lived even being in the 40 mile kill zone. I was a Soldier once. I knew nuclear weapon have three kill zones. The first 40 miles is instant. The second 40 mile was slow and bad death and the next 40 mile is slower and more painful death. I did not tell them, the survivors. I did find someone in the medical field who was left. He understand and he decided to make the pill a option. The pills were not offered till the people got sick. It was a bad sickness. First stomach pain, than the body weaken and the mind became confused. I have given the pills to many. I would lay them in their bed. Hold their hands and try to make them laugh. The last people died not with tears. We knew it was too late for tears. My five grandchildren were young and they died quickly. I held them in my arms as the pill took them to a peaceful sleep. I bury them in my yard and I would talk to them daily. My last family member I laid down was my daughter in her old room.  We cried together and prayed. I wanted death then. I put a shot-gun to my head and I knew, I couldn’t. I was the last level headed man left. Many young people were still left. Many were just children who needed my help and guidance.

Today I’m alone. I laid the last woman of thirty name Amanda in her bed. I held her hands and I caressed her face. She told me. I will see my sons soon. The pill was kind. She sang to me and she told me. Please Johnnie, find your favorite place to die. Please take me with you. I drove my car 100 miles in four directions. I saw no movement of any life. I did see some damaged on the outskirts of Detroit. Detroit was took out first with all the major cities.  I listen to my radio and there is only silence. The sickness I could feel now. I knew I couldn’t explore and see if anyone had survived anymore. I had the pills in my pocket and I knew. I had a few days left. I went home and said goodbye to my resting family. They died without knowing too much pain. The pills was fair. Took you to a restful and final sleep gently.  I decided to go to my ancestor’s place to die. I drove to Port Austin, Michigan and I went to the Lake Huron. I would pray, burn some sage and die with the great forest near. I arrived barely. My back and legs were gone. I drove my truck deep into the Ojibwa forest. I slowly walked to the Lake Huron. I sat near the water and tossed the cold water on my face. It awoke me completely for a second. I lite the sage and did a whispered prayers.

 “God of life and death, God of the great forest and water. Forgive us for what we done. Man reached his goals. He killed off what is beautiful and sacred. Please take me to my Grandmother, Grandfather, father, wife, grandchildren and children at the big Pow wow. For us who loved the land and the children, please accept a tire man a place to rest.”

 I placed my Circle of life near me and my stones stored in my power bag around me. I put my dream catcher on my neck and asked the trees and the sky. Why did hate and greed control the world? Who won? There is no Israel, no Middle East. The land of Africa, the America and Europe is silence now. I hope the men who wanted war over peace have a place to feel the heat of their hate and violence. I meditate and find faces of laughing grandchildren. I put the pills into my mouth. I feel the drugs slowly making me rest and know peace. I loved the view of the Lake Huron. Funny, I swear I hear my Grandchildren yelling to me. Over here Grandpa. We have been waiting for you. I touch the nearby tree and fall into my final sleep.

                      End

This is fiction. The book of Nevil Shute wrote of a different world and weapon. Our new weapons, bio and nuclear can do more damaged than the time of Nevil. This was a dream. If we don’t get along. Whole world will know his bad dream. Israel, Arab world and everywhere must stop the violence. One foolish country can do us all end. This is one planet and one people. I believe we all need to be scared. Want scary. Read the policy of nuclear weapons of France and the USA. Heal, not kill. Pray and demand peace for the children. All children.

                           Coyote/John Castellenas

© 2021 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As a young boy living in Melbourne, I still recall the trepidation and anxiety the movie ‘On the beach’, based on Nevil Shute’s novel, created.
Existing in a world of doomsday weapons and power-hungry tyrants, your story clearly expresses a possible future in frightening details that must make us all terrified for mankind's future.
Clearly expressed with enough vivid details to scare the daylights out of, many of us.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Neil Shute book "On the beach". A realistic tale. The winds would slowly kill our world off. I love .. read more



Reviews

Wow! so powerful, with a powerful message.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Katzie. Our world need to heal. Not kill.
As a young boy living in Melbourne, I still recall the trepidation and anxiety the movie ‘On the beach’, based on Nevil Shute’s novel, created.
Existing in a world of doomsday weapons and power-hungry tyrants, your story clearly expresses a possible future in frightening details that must make us all terrified for mankind's future.
Clearly expressed with enough vivid details to scare the daylights out of, many of us.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Neil Shute book "On the beach". A realistic tale. The winds would slowly kill our world off. I love .. read more
John, I don't think I've ever read a piece by you that is better than this one! The end of the world....and the people who are left are few. The scenario is horrifying. The imagery is very good.....not sure I will sleep tonight! :) Lydi***

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Lydia. I worry for my world. I pray we learn. We are dancing on a scary edge. Time t.. read more
it looks like it`s about to come true in the near future,the pope and 39 other religious will be in france oct 4 to sign a 7 year accord on climate,,is this the start of tribulation

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

I agree my friend. The powerful countries started a long time ago. Neville book made into a movie. S.. read more
 wordman

2 Years Ago

you`re welcome
This is a terrifying account of world destruction worthy of a film. It is mind boggling and sent shivers down my spine. Really makes you stop and think. You make it so personal Coyote and that is what hits home hard. A great piece of fiction writing.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Chris. Most folks don't know. 40 nuclear weapons will end our world. The story based .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 26, 2021
Last Updated on September 26, 2021

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong


Less time Less time

A Poem by Nomo


Quill Quill

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer