2500 miles away from you...

2500 miles away from you...

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

August poetry number fourteen. A re-write.

"

2500 miles away from you

A Poem by Coyote Poetry

" We hope distance and separation can make sadness forgotten. It doesn’t. "

                           2500 miles from you…

On a Winter day in 1989. We said our first goodbye.
I joined a war to escape your  face. I try to leave the places filled with too many damn ghosts.
Now I drink the Irish coffee in Monterey. Write words of the blue eyes girl with the auburn hair, I left behind.

I sit on the bench where Hemingway drank his whiskey. I can feel his sadness and I watched the sea he saw and loved once. I learn, love can damn you. 2500 miles away from a old love, I learn, it wasn’t enough. I sit alone on the Fisherman Wharf, dreaming of things lost.

Drinking whiskey and eating the clam chowder. I learn what Dante knew. The powerful sea can’t erase the faces and memories of those ladies who open the door to love and make the night come alive.  Those sweet and beautiful Beatrice’s. Can’t be killed off by the whiskey or the sea.

I got lost and confused trying to forget your memory in Reno. I played the tables and drank the free drinks. A beautiful long legged woman with a mini-skirt leaving nothing for the imagination leaned against me. I felt the warmth of breathe and skin against mine. Her clear blue eyes made me feel weak. When I looked into her eyes. I remembered losing you in some nightmare, re-learning after I left you. All I had was black memory left.

I escaped to New York city. I liked New York city. My weaken spirit took comfort roaming with the insane writer and artist. I envision Leonard Cohen talking to Joplin on a park bench. Joplin telling Cohen. “I prefer more handsome men, but you will do. We may be ugly, but we have the song.”  New York city is a old place. I like the ancient places where you can read and write your words. I read poetry at a Poetry readings. I told a story of a life falling to self-destruction and dead-end roads. About a perfect face and embrace that left a broken  man.

I returned to Michigan in 1992 and I found you. You accepted me back and I wrapped my arms around you. I told you. You were the only sweetness a man knew swimming in s**t and self-pity. You taught me money was nothing and kiss and warm embrace was the real gold of a gold life.

Life is a circle of joy and pain. Pain and joy. I lost you again. We always had bad timing. You wanted school and nursing. I wanted just your sweet kiss and time.  This time I knew the ending at the start.

Now I roamed the USA highways alone. I have learn life was fair.  Woman can make you feel like the King of the forest or steal away your hope and joy if you allow.  I know today better to be thankful for the attention of sweet woman. Don’t hide out too long. If you become distance and afraid. You may lose something sweet and unforgettable.

Better to have loved and lost than wished you did. Better to know the feel of someone warm and sweet, lighting up the nights/days and your life than be waiting for no-one. Old memories are like ghosts. We must accept them and move on to better places.

I got back to Monterey and now the dark street Poet knew. Life is good, woman are sweet and beautiful, and I was near my true love, the sea. I drank my beer and waited for new doors to become wide open. 

Dark Poet became the Word-man. I knew now. Can’t write the words without knowing struggle, war and a thousand sweet kisses.

I told the kids. Live my friends. Today could be the last chance for love, the slow dance and to know laughter.

      Coyote/John Castellenas
                                     Written in 1992/rewritten in 2014

© 2022 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Most of us write about love found and then, lost and...found again. Hopefully, we learn from the lessons that are left with us after the losses. The feeling of loving someone, being close to someone is what many seek. Yes, it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. We learn from the heartbreak and get ready to love again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. Temp

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you dear Temp and I agree.



Reviews

Wow! This is quite a touching write, really! Holds a good lesson in it as well

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you, dear Becks. We are always learning.
Most of us write about love found and then, lost and...found again. Hopefully, we learn from the lessons that are left with us after the losses. The feeling of loving someone, being close to someone is what many seek. Yes, it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. We learn from the heartbreak and get ready to love again. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. Temp

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Thank you dear Temp and I agree.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 6, 2022
Last Updated on August 6, 2022

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing