Two poems. By a old Poet and a live one.

Two poems. By a old Poet and a live one.

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

I love the old Poets. Some died before they had the chance to do great things. Sergeant Joyce Kilmer words are powerful as 90 years ago. Coyote

"
            Tree

(Sergeant Joyce Kilmer. Born December 6, 1886-died in battle July 30, 1918. My favorite poem. So beautiful and true.)


           I think that I shall never see
           A poem lovely as a tree
 
            A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
             Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
 
              A tree that looks at God all day,
              And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
 
              A tree that may in Summer wear
               A nest of robins in her hair;
 
               Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
                Who intimately lives with rain.
 
                  Poems are made by fools like me,
                   But only God can make a tree.


 (Thank you Sergeant Joyce Kilmer for leaving such beautiful words for us to read. Great Poets need to be remembered.) 



             
                     WAR, what it is good for?

 (Edwin starr voice can't never be equal)

                            NOTHING

Sitting on the Iraq border.
 My division of Soldiers are waiting for orders to move.. 

 
Old country boy talk of the Tennessee river.
He tells us" I will be fishing all day soon.
I miss the green grass.
 Ain't a damn tree anywhere."


 
Old soldier wallet full of pictures.
He love to show you them.
He has a story for every photo.
I listen and don't complain.
Some sort of peace when you talk of family.

 
The Chaplain is coming.
Soldiers gather together.
All religion is the same here.
We pray and listen to the Chaplain.
He always ask any requests for a song.
I request the song Amazing Grace always.

 
Soldier will defend their country.
Don't complain too much about the war.
Just do what must be done.
 

Going home keeps the soldier hopeful and strong.
Nothing better then a letter from a wife and family member.

 
Death is a subject not discussed.
The sweet dream of home keep the soldier spirit strong.

 
Sure would be nice to see  the forest in the spring.
 Go fishing with old dad.
 
                         Coyote
                         Jan 2009
 
 
 
 
 

 

© 2010 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
We appreciate the simple things when we can't have them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Two poems By a old poet and a live one..."
Coyote Poetry,
I have a nephew serving right now. He has been in for about a month and a half. I have a son who served and is now out. Two uncles on my dad's side, two on my mom's and mother's father as well. Their are other relatives as well. Your poem and it's personal touches were very touching to me. I too find trees to be winsome, strong and a great inspiration. The way you use your love of this poem by Sergeant Joyce Kilmer is a wonderful entrance for your own thread woven through this piece of writing. It is interesting to see the feeling of someone living in another generation so close to what soldiers would feel now. Human beings are blessedly the same in war. The song starting your poem is also really fitting. "What is war for?" It is a part of an imperfect life and existance just like this life for all humanity and every creature and creation. God is the clue that it has His great thumbprint though.the way we deal with pain,inescapable as it is...through our covering in Christ. His perfect life for ours. His blood sacrificed on sin's battlefield. All die but all can live eternally. wonderful writing dear man who served our country, and thank you!
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I followed Family tradition. Grandfather, father and I served. Still I pray for no-more war. I pray .. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

1 Month Ago

I came across this poem of yours again. It reminded me of the fragility of life and how precious. Ou.. read more


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Beautifully written, both of them. Great poems

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes. One of my favorite poems - Tree

Survival is the aim, trauma is the consequence. Fractured spirits wrapping themselves in scotch-tape to keep it together. War is for profit and gain and neither is good. No reason weighs even to the price of war, it always wins in heft.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

coyote,

love this!! i like sgt. joyce kilmer's poem as well. did you know that he's the actor val kilmer's grandfather, and that he actually has a custom made treehouse that he lives in on vacation as a tribute to his grandfather. your work speaks of a deeper, softer part of the veteran's soul. my favorite part was the end--"Sure would be nice to see the forest in the spring. Go fishing with old dad." simply beautiful.

you have definitely touched this veteran's heart. thanks and keep writing.

sincerely,
jr

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
Your Author's Note is so true, and that is even when not in war...
Your piece here is beyond words. It is something that is truly felt. You have a gift for writing, telling stories. Your passion for poetry shines through. Your works are of the type that become timeless classics, living forever.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is very strange that the tragedies and horrors of war have inspired some of the greatest poetry ever written I cite the great war poets Wlfred Owen etc
Kilmers tree still stands alone

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


6
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2423 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 23, 2009
Last Updated on November 4, 2010

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..